Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

27 YO Blemish On My Police Record?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyboard Kommando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: 27 YO Blemish On My Police Record? Reply with quote

I got a job offer recently, and they want an FBI check. I have a petty theft (shop lifting) on my record from 1987. Basically, I was a broke student, didn't get my financial aid on time and was completely broke. Went to the local Krogers and shoplifted, and got caught. I haven't been in any troulbe since, but it's there on my Fibbie Check.

Would that be enough to disqualify me to teach?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the potential employer can make that determination---we'd just be guessing. But the fact that the employer is requiring an FBI report instead of one from your local police department doesn't seem to bode well for you. Then again, it's an old charge...
everleigh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Kuwait still accept a local or state police criminal check instead of a FBI check? An increasing number of countries accept only the FBI. Has anyone used a local police check to work in Kuwait lately? Can anyone verify whether it is still acceptable?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everleigh wrote:
An increasing number of countries accept only the FBI.

I've never been asked for an FBI check but then again I'm not American...
joint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates to this original question?.. I also was charged with public intoxication in 1991 and have been recently hired by a school but am worried I will have my work visa rejected due to a FBI check that is required to enter Kuwait.. I currently am a licensed teacher in the United States.. anyone have any experience with this or knowledge of the subject please reply
SirAristede

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everleigh wrote:
Does Kuwait still accept a local or state police criminal check instead of a FBI check? An increasing number of countries accept only the FBI. Has anyone used a local police check to work in Kuwait lately? Can anyone verify whether it is still acceptable?

I'm currently in the visa application process to teach in Kuwait and I was required to secure a background check from my local police department (Chicago Police Department). So yes, a local police check is still accepted; it just depends on your employer.

Interestingly, when I stated that I was already in the process of receiving my FBI background check (for another position and started before I accepted the one I'm heading to). When I mentioned that I had the FBI check coming, my employer still insisted on the local one rather than the federal one.

Last edited by SirAristede on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
SirAristede

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an update to my last post. Apparently, local background checks are no longer accepted, only the FBI one (for American citizens). I learned this nugget of information today from the Kuwait Embassy when I called to check on the authentication of my documents. Despite the fact that my future employer in Kuwait directed me to get a local check instead of a FBI one (even though I told them and sent them information from the Kuwait Embassy stating that an FBI check was necessary), using a local check is clearly not the case any longer.

The Kuwait Embassy stated that my employer is using outdated information.I sent the HR department at my employer an e-mail letting them know, though who knows if they'll actually keep this new information in mind for future reference (doubtful).

Fortunately, I already had the FBI check done for another employer in late May, so I just sent that off to the U.S. Department of State and will later send it to the Kuwait Embassy for the final authentication. Too bad I can't get back the $20 I spent in authentications and postage prior to my documents arriving at the Embassy. (I guess if that's the worse thing to happen so far, I should be thankful.) Truly in Q8, one queues up to wait and confusion reigns! Confused
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirAristede wrote:
Apparently, local background checks are no longer accepted, only the FBI one (for American citizens). I learned this nugget of information today from the Kuwait Embassy when I called to check on the authentication of my documents. Despite the fact that my future employer in Kuwait directed me to get a local check instead of a FBI one (even though I told them and sent them information from the Kuwait Embassy stating that an FBI check was necessary), using a local check is clearly not the case any longer.

When I was going through the visa process for KSA, I requested an official, notarized criminal background report from my state's bureau of investigations (versus the federal entity). It cost $13 and was mailed to me in less than 10 days. Anyway, depending on the state, some municipal law enforcement agencies won't do criminal background reports.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SirAristede wrote:
Apparently, local background checks are no longer accepted, only the FBI one (for American citizens). I learned this nugget of information today from the Kuwait Embassy when I called to check on the authentication of my documents. Despite the fact that my future employer in Kuwait directed me to get a local check instead of a FBI one (even though I told them and sent them information from the Kuwait Embassy stating that an FBI check was necessary), using a local check is clearly not the case any longer.

When I was going through the visa process for KSA, I requested an official, notarized criminal background report from my state's bureau of investigations (versus the federal entity). It cost $13 and was mailed to me in less than 10 days. Anyway, depending on the state, some municipal law enforcement agencies won't do criminal background reports.

I suppose because I live in Chicago, a local (meaning city) background check was possible, though, for most places in Illinois, residents must use the Illinois State Police (though for visa requirements in Kuwait, even that wouldn't have sufficed). I had a inkling the federal was needed (and thankfully I already had it since it takes about five weeks to be issued by the FBI - not an approved FBI channeler), but I tried to follow what my employer told me to do. Well, we see how that went! haha.

I sent the employer the updated info and I hope they use it to guide prospective candidates. Having worked in HR myself and holding a Masters in HR, I never expect HR to always run smoothly, but employers (especially for international schools) need to streamline the process with as much accurate information as possible. But as we're talking about the ME, that sentiment is just a pipedream. Laughing
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Kuwait. The next step in the process is tat they will lose everything you've given them, deny you gave it to them and insist you produce the documents immediately. Been there, done it. Worst place in the ME.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
It's Kuwait. The next step in the process is tat they will lose everything you've given them, deny you gave it to them and insist you produce the documents immediately. Been there, done it. Worst place in the ME.

Yup... that is my experience. Worst.Bureaucracy.Ever!! Laughing

VS
SirAristede

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

Yup... that is my experience. Worst.Bureaucracy.Ever!! Laughing

VS

The embassy here has been quite efficient, though I have no doubt there will be...challenges on the mainland! Razz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the US, I agree that the embassy is pretty good, but it is still always the luck of who answers the phone. The fun begins when you get there... almost immediately...

VS
SirAristede

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
If you are in the US, I agree that the embassy is pretty good, but it is still always the luck of who answers the phone. The fun begins when you get there... almost immediately...

VS

Yes, I'm in the US, so my dealings with the Embassy have been fine so far. One of the visa officers was a bit cranky at first (probably hungry from fasting since it's Ramadan), but she ended the phone call with a cheerful "Have a nice day."
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:

I found Kuwait to be a total dump. Even dumpier than a far-poorer country, such as Laos or Cambodia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: