Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will it be closed down?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Will it be closed down? Reply with quote

Never thought I'd see the day! Radio 90.4. Omani confirming a highly qualified Omani youth turned up for a Ministries interview 20 mins late, answered his mobile phone during interview & asked them to get to the salary & package as he was pressed for time. At long last the message is getting through - unemployable in the private sector!

How long will Radio 90.4 last?

Sits back and waits for the apologists to say it's not true...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone doubt it? The story itself wouldn't surprise anyone... including most Omanis. Typical of the Gulf... and not unknown in the US or UK. The difference is that the Gulf Arab may well still get the job. Cool

What is atypical is the reporting of it... Will the reporter get axed? You said he was an Omani, so highly unlikely. Wrists will be slapped, but do tell if you hear more on the story...

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Why would anyone doubt it? There are some on here who I am sure will! The story itself wouldn't surprise anyone... including most Omanis. Typical of the Gulf... and not unknown in the US or UK. The difference is that the Gulf Arab may well still get the job. Cool

What is atypical is the reporting of it... Will the reporter get axed? You said he was an Omani, so highly unlikely. Wrists will be slapped, but do tell if you hear more on the story...

Will do, I was thinking about what happened to 'The Week' last year but I guess that was a more sensitive subject.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be an example of a highly-developed, almost always completely unsupported, conviction of entitlement? Very Happy

While the Gulf countries are certainly not unique in having so many of their citizens affected by this mental disorder, I'd say that they rank very near, if not right at, the top of the list.

Regards,
John
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Would this be an example of a highly-developed, almost always completely unsupported, conviction of entitlement? Very Happy

While the Gulf countries are certainly not unique in having so many of their citizens affected by this mental disorder, I'd say that they rank very near, if not right at, the top of the list.

Yes, and the policy of Omanisation which is being ramped up is exacerbating the disorder as they KNOW they have to be given the job.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true of all the Gulf really. If you work in Kuwait, where Kuwaitis took over much of the bureaucracy long ago, you will see how bad things can become. Laughing

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
This is true of all the Gulf really. If you work in Kuwait, where Kuwaitis took over much of the bureaucracy long ago, you will see how bad things can become. :lol:VS

Been there, done it, got out. Oman is going down the same road hence been here, done it, getting out....
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess you're expecting this but I'm tired today so can't muster the energy to rebut a trolling thread like this one.

How about I just leave this:

Shocker! Today I heard about a __________(insert nationality) who did something (insert negative action). Oh heavens! Can you believe it?! Clearly, this example (sample size: 1) is indicative of the entire population of (insert nationality) and is a clear example of a universal truth as well as a harbinger of dreadful things to come.

Why would I doubt it? I've seen worse. But my point is to show how harmful and wrong it is to generalize the actions of one, two or 50 and conclude that it holds true for the entire population.

Oh, "but..." you are already thinking, it IS true! I've seen it SO many times, and heard about this behavior ______and ______ and then again my friend saw _______.

So, let's just agree to disagree, shall we? I know there are many many examples of incompetence, laziness and poor work ethics. But it wouldn't be right to say that is true for all British nationals who are on the dole, would it?

that would be irresponsible and wrong.
Chuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
This is true of all the Gulf really. If you work in Kuwait, where Kuwaitis took over much of the bureaucracy long ago, you will see how bad things can become. :lol:VS

Been there, done it, got out. Oman is going down the same road hence been here, done it, getting out....

And posted about it ad nauseum.

In case you have any doubt:
You've made your point.
It's clear.
We get it.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear I've upset the ostriches and apologists. I'm surprised that nobody picked up on the fact that the station frequency in question is actually Oman Radio, run by the State and for the State. If they feel it's worthy of mention then so do I!

However, there is a glimmer of hope in this story as the job was given to someone whose 1st question was "What duties are expected of me & what will be my responsibilities"?
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to hear or read the transcript of that story before I give it any credibility. I suspect that it has been interpreted through the lens of MG's spiteful agenda.

What kind of news is that anyway? Or just the off-the -cuff banter that radio hosts engage in, with such detail? very dubious......

and as Chuma has correctly stated, we get it, thank you and good day.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
and as Chuma has correctly stated, we get it, thank you and good day.

But I will continue to post the truth for as long as people are posting untruthful versions of what life is like in Oman. In the end the readers will decide for themselves and hopefully will not learn from bitter experience.
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you keep posting your exaggerated claims of truth in an effort to smear the life here in Oman, than I and hopefully others will continue to offer a counter point.

If you read back through my responses to you, they are criticizing the generalization of your statements to denigrate Omanis and aspects of their culture or character. I have acknowledged that you have clearly had a poor end to your time here but it is really not necessary to behave in such a spiteful and condescending manner.

for the third time....life is too short!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
As long as you keep posting your exaggerated claims of truth in an effort to smear the life here in Oman, than I and hopefully others will continue to offer a rose-tinted, possibly paid for counter point.!
Chuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
I will continue to post the truth for as long as people are posting untruthful versions of what life is like in Oman. In the end the readers will decide for themselves and hopefully will not learn from bitter experience.

But I really don't see people starting threads about how idyllic life in Oman is.

What I do see is a handful of people posting threads about how horrible life in Oman is, and then a few others saying that it's not really that bad, and then they get called names like "ostriches and apologists".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: