Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How far in advance should I start looking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: How far in advance should I start looking? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going back to teaching over-seas and of course I'm considering the UAE.

Just wondering how much time it takes on average between doing an interview to actually moving there.

(My lease in up February 1st, 2015 so I'm hoping 3 months would be enough of a cushion?)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, we really need more information. What kind of job are you looking for and what are your credentials?

The vast majority of hiring is done around March for Aug/Sept starts.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: How far in advance should I start looking? Reply with quote

fadedgirl wrote:
Just wondering how much time it takes on average between doing an interview to actually moving there.

For a start date of ? Also, do you expect to teach in a public or international school or in a university foundation year program? If the latter, be aware you'll need at minimum a relevant MA + 3 years' experience. Anyway, as VS points out, hiring for the upcoming the academic year (in higher ed) is starting to wind down.
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aim to start in February. I'm pretty open about where I teach.

My credentials:
BA in English; TEFL certified
taught overseas from 2004-2011 (still teaching ESL)
taught for a year in Cairo
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Still a bit vague...Japan/China/Korea conversation school alumnus?
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France 2004-2005
Egypt 2005-2006
South Korea 2006-2011
New York 2011-now

I should probably mention that I'll bring my dog (13 lbs) and cat (9 lbs) with me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fadedgirl wrote:
I aim to start in February. I'm pretty open about where I teach.

BA in English; TEFL certified
taught for a year in Cairo

Your qualifications aren't enough for the UAE, Qatar, or Kuwait, but your related BA might get you a direct-hire position with King Abdulaziz University (KAU) or Prince Sultan University (PSU), both in Saudi Arabia. However, your timing is off because they do their yearly major recruiting at TESOL Arabia in March and are currently in the midst of processing paperwork for new hires for the upcoming academic year. That said, KAU often accepts applications year round to fill teaching spots that open off season. But again, your timing will be tricky if you expect to start a new position in February.

Your other options are to take a position with one of Saudi's numerous (and sketchy) contracting companies; they fill positions year round and generally post their ads on the Cafe's job board. You need to research these employers carefully to determine if they're a fit. Oman is another option, but doesn't pay the type of salaries found in KSA, if that's important to you.

If you're interested in working in KSA, head over to the Saudi forum for more info. Ditto for checking out the Oman forum.
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I checked out the Saudi forum, but then I saw "Don't bring your dog."
As my dog is an inside dog, I figure this will pose a major problems with landlords in KSA, right?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fadedgirl wrote:
I checked out the Saudi forum, but then I saw "Don't bring your dog."
As my dog is an inside dog, I figure this will pose a major problems with landlords in KSA, right?

It could be problematic, especially since you may not have any say over your housing as a single female. If you get hired by a contracting company, you'll probably be required to live in employer-provided housing (see "Female teachers living out of company provided housing," http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107660 ). That could include a shared-housing situation as well.

However, if you're able to get hired directly with a university, you're more likely to get a housing allowance and can choose where you want to live. But that still doesn't guarantee you'll be allowed to have a dog with you. Compounds, however, seem to be flexible with expat residents having pets, but this type of housing situation is expensive.

The culture generally isn't accepting of dogs as pets. Anyway, even if you're able to get a place that would allow for your dog and cat, the other issue you'll run into is what to do with your pets during summer vacation.
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I have a problem with my pets over summer vacation?

Am I effectively kicked out of the apartment? Or just that there are no dog sitters? (I'm assuming the latter, but I like to hear other people's opinions.)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not your main problem, which is whether the landlord will accept dogs---and many don't. As mentioned, as a woman, you may not have a choice as to where you can live. For instance, the company states you're expected to live in X apartment building with all the other female teachers, which likely won't allow dogs.

Seriously, for more exposure and Saudi-specific responses to your questions, you really need to post on the Saudi forum since that's your only option of employment in the region.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to those who say you need a related degree in the UAE, only in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi do you need an education degree and prior license. Everywhere else you don't.

Plus schools are always hiring because there are about 56,000 teachers short in the UAE, per the National newspaper. Type schools UAE in Google and you will see a Wikipedia page for some of the schools in the UAE. Focus on Dubai, Sharjah, and Ajman because they do not require a related degree.

I am in Sharjah and changed schools no problem in June for a better position. All the schools are in dire need of staff and are actively looking. My prior school had about 100 teachers leave without replacements and that is typical in larger schools. Go to Indeed.ae as well and put teacher in the subject search and leave the Emirate blank, you will see plenty of postings.

If you want to go to a specific location don't always follow those who say you aren't qualified. Determination and persistence pays off and how I got to the UAE in the first place. I am an American and I got here with a BS in Public Administration, MBA, and MA International Relations. I had a TESOL certification from the military and a school in Canada. The school I was at wasn't the greatest in any manner but I survived and now secured a better job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdobbs98 wrote:
Don't listen to those who say you need a related degree in the UAE, only in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi do you need an education degree and prior license. Everywhere else you don't.

I believe you meant to post this on another forum thread.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
rdobbs98 wrote:

I believe you meant to post this on another forum thread.

Non-related degrees tend to lead to non-related postings...
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdobbs98 posted in exactly the right forum.

All of you are telling me that I should go to KSA because I'm not qualified enough. Rdobbs98 is telling me to hang tight.

How did you miss that?

Not only that, I was asking about bringing my pets to the UAE NOT to KSA. There's already a thread in the Saudi Arabia Forum about bringing a dog there, btw.

anyways, I got the info I needed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: