Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
returnee2014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Who is this statement for? Are you advertising for this school?

For anyone who would be scared off of teaching in Sulaymaniyah. I don't want the school to be short of teachers. So not precisely advertising, but encouraging, yes. I suppose I'm just falling into the trap of arguing with strangers on the internet.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
El Hobo:

Why don't you continue your political discussion in the thread: "Mosul. Next Stop Baghdad" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107426) on the current events forum. Otherwise, this thread will likely end up getting locked just like the other one.

That's a fair suggestion but I'm a bit tired of writing about it now.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

returnee2014 wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

For anyone who would be scared off of teaching in Sulaymaniyah. I don't want the school to be short of teachers. So not precisely advertising, but encouraging, yes. I suppose I'm just falling into the trap of arguing with strangers on the internet.

It's not up to you to worry about the school's staffing needs, so I'm not sure why you feel it's your responsibility (or anyone else's) to encourage others.

Considering "exciting" and "interesting" are unfortunately being used by a couple of posters to describe the disturbing situation in Iraq, folks will come regardless. Call it human nature. And frankly, no one's a child here, but rather adults who make life decisions based on their own personal experiences, background, expectations, intentions, intellect, cultural awareness, etc. They just need to be realistic and smart about their decisions.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Nice talking with you. Goodbye.
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. People are actually considering teaching English in Iraq??? It's a big world out there, you've got qualifications and a bit of experience you can pretty much go anywhere, and you end up in Iraq???

Each to their own, but frankly you must be out your mind to want to go there...
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ESL jobs I saw advertised for Iraq about 2 years ago was in Kurdistan. Safe Kurdistan. Pay was a bit inadequate for me at the time, so I didn't bite when offered.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been jobs in Kurdistan for the last few years and teachers posting here about it. It has, thus far, been safe - if not terribly lucrative.

Even in Iraq proper there have been a very few good jobs located in the Green Zone in Baghdad. They have ended in the current situation.

VS
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
There have been jobs in Kurdistan for the last few years and teachers posting here about it. It has, thus far, been safe - if not terribly lucrative.

The pay is indeed on the lower end of M.E. jobs but the cost of living is also very low. If you are relatively frugal you can get by on just $200 a-month which leaves quite a lot in the bank. I think Iraqi-Kurdistan is a great option if you see a future working in the M.E. as it certainly proves to prospective employers that you can handle challenging environments.

Personally though, I would prefer to live in Oman given the chance. The nature and cuisine are far more alluring than Iraqi-Kurdistan to me.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archie Rice wrote:
Wow. People are actually considering teaching English in Iraq??? It's a big world out there, you've got qualifications and a bit of experience you can pretty much go anywhere, and you end up in Iraq???

Each to their own, but frankly you must be out your mind to want to go there...

It's knee-jerk reactions like this that are going to beleaguer Iraqi-Kurdistan/an independent Kurdistan for many years to come.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: THANK YOU Reply with quote

returnee2014 wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

This is prevalent throughout the Gulf. Mentally ill "teachers" spread panic on message boards because they don't want the competition.

Thank you for clarifying this. Death is fast. Working with mentally ill$@!#ards is not.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: THANK YOU Reply with quote

TrampledKlown wrote:
Death is fast. Working with mentally ill$@!#ards is not.

For your sake, I hope you were able to get professional help for your health issues.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition?? What competition? We already have contracts. As long as we show up for class, teach from the lesson plan, and not get hit by a crazy driver on the way to the apartment, our contracts will keep getting renewed. It's just too much darn work for the Saudi staff to hire more teachers if they have all the warm bodies they need.

All of us "crazy" teachers over here would welcome anyone who can handle it. Come on over and find out for yourself why we say the things we say on the KSA forum. We are not bragging and trying to keep this "best kept secret" all to our grubby little hands. Do you think any teacher over here who does his/her job in just an average way would get fired if someone from HR sees you land at the airport and says, "Hey! I like the cut of your jib. Let's fire teachers X, Y, and Z and bring this hotshot on board"? This line works best if you can "read" it like a newspaper reporter in Chicago during the 1940's - think Jennifer Jason Leigh in the movie, "The Hudsucker Proxy".

We're not working at an Advertising firm in NYC.

Don Draper to Peggy from "The Suitcase" Mad Men (2010)
"I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail."

"It is to laugh." - Daffy Duck
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia is RIDICULOUSLY easy to get into. Seriously! I've seen unqualified and inexperienced teachers get jobs there and somehow manage to get cushy positions...insane really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: