Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A'Sharqiyah University (again)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
infidelicious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: A'Sharqiyah University (again) Reply with quote

Anyone desperate enough to actually work at this place needs to know the following (and make sure you ask very specific questions about the parts IN BOLD).

A’Sharqiyah University
General Foundation Program (GFP)
WORK LOAD POLICY

Introduction
The purpose of this policy is to established a framework of the work load distribution to ensure fair implementation occurs within the General Foundation Program (GFP)

Its implementation will be flexible according to circumstances that are unique according to other Departments/Colleges of the University. of the different Colleges

The Policy is intended to be in line with similar practices implemented within other international language programs. (HA!)

Policy Statements
 This policy is will address all duties carried out by the general foundation staff and allocate the time required for the staff to carry the different responsibilities; on an annual basis. Indicative distribution of work load and other administrative responsibilities will be presented.

 The distribution of work will be equal and consistent between all GFP staff, hence work load will be uniform; GFP titles will differentiate only the focus of responsibilities. Ex: A Course Coordinator will be required and be more administratively active, while a teaching staff member, more teaching active.

 The working day will be 8 hours ( within the period from 8 am to 8 pm )

 All GFP staff will have the following responsibilities:

 Teaching
o Course preparation
o Invigilation/Proctoring
o Consultation/Advising
o Assessment Creation
o Admin responsibilities

 Scholarship/Professional Development
 Community Service
 All GFP staff members will be entitled to an annual leave of 45 days as per their individual contracts. When not on leave the GFP staff will be expected to carry out their responsibilities

 The annual teaching load may be distributed over 3 semesters; Fall, Spring and Summer at 20 hours per week.

 In case of public of holidays both the eligible teaching hours and other services are considered a part of the staffs’ normal workload.

 The weekly work load will be in accordance with the Ministry of Manpower labor law; currently the normal working week is 40 hrs. The workdays of the GFP staff starts on Sunday and ends on Thursday, 160 hours per month. Daily teaching hours are between 8-8 pm. However, working hours is flexible in accordance with the institution’s schedule and in this case both parties must mutually agree.

 The annual work load distribution will be planned and administered at the direction of the Director of GFP. Staff may be requested to carry out extra teaching (more and above the annual load); in such cases, an overtime payment will be made. The DVC will formally approve the annual work load and required overtime.

 Time allocation is flexible time and should be mutually agreed upon by the staff member and the Director of GFP

 The GFP staff member shall not engage in other jobs, including part time work or private tutoring during their employment period without the Employer’s consent.

 The GFP staff must attend staff meetings and workshops, which are not held during working hours however this will not be considered as working overtime.
 Classes and teaching will be scheduled in accordance with the needs of the GFP.

Implementation:
TABLE 1 - Annual Workload Distribution1
ESL, IT, or Designated Teaching Staff

Teaching
Hours
Classroom Contact
20 hrs. wk. x 46
920 hours

Admin/Course prep and Documentation
@ 5 hrs. X 46 weeks
230 hours

Invigilation/Proctoring
@3weeks per academic year
120 hours

Consultation/Advising
@5 hrs. week
230 hours

Assessment Creation
@ 3 weeks per academic year
Teaching Total
1620 hours
(89% of total workload)

Scholarship/Professional Development
110 hours
(5.9% of total workload)

Community Service
110 hours
(5.9% of total workload)

Total Annual Workload
1840 hours

1 365 Days year-45 Days’ Vacation=320 /7days per week= 46 weeks x 40 hrs. per week=1840 working hours per year

The total number of working hours during an academic year is 1,840 hours at 40 hours per week and is distributed over 3 semesters; Fall, Spring, and Summer: 1) A normal weekly teaching load is 20 contact hours. 2) The annual teaching load will be planned and administered by the Director of GFP. 3) Any additional hours taught over the annual hours will be paid at the end of the year as overtime. 3) Overtime will be subject to the recommendation of the Director of GFP
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully teachers will be smart for a change and thoroughly research the work conditions, the teacher turnover rate, and what the students are like BEFORE going to work for this employer. But I'm not betting on it. All we can do is tell them, and tell them, and tell them, and tell them, and....
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76 wrote:
All we can do is tell them, and tell them, and tell them, and tell them, and....

This. I've seen a fair number of individuals posting in this forum around late summer every year asking about the conditions in various places (a few of these places have become a common topic on here). The majority of advice from users on here is to avoid them, or at most, go with an established Plan B available.

A minority always chimes in saying these places can't be THAT bad, and all the naysayers MUST surely be exaggerating. Rolling Eyes

Fast forward 10 months to the following summer, and teachers who chose to ignore the warnings come on to share a fresh new collection of horror stories and terrible experiences.

The only thing we can do is keep warning people about these places when they ask about them. If they choose to ignore the warnings, or to actually believe the few who claim that things are wonderful, then they've only themselves to blame.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: A'Sharqiyah University (again) Reply with quote

infidelicious wrote:

Community Service
110 hours
(5.9% of total workload)

Seems pretty standard stuff until one gets to this. Pray tell... what is involved in their "Community Service."

For a newbie applicant, that might sound odd, but nothing else in this message would scare me away if this is all the warning one is giving. Of course there are other threads to peruse for more details.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: A'Sharqiyah University (again) Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
infidelicious wrote:

Community Service
110 hours
(5.9% of total workload)

Seems pretty standard stuff until one gets to this. Pray tell... what is involved in their "Community Service."

I don't know about this but some of the CAS Colleges have a Community program, basically it involves teaching people from local businesses and Government institutions, e.g. hospitals, satellite Ministry buildings and so on. It's not too bad as generally the students are a bit more motivated than the full-timers and delighted at getting a half day off work!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hoped that it wasn't picking up litter along the highways. Cool

That sounds like a good thing, but IMHO, that should be under the heading of overtime possibilities for teachers, not an unpaid obligation on top of teaching one's 20 hours.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
That sounds like a good thing, but IMHO, that should be under the heading of overtime possibilities for teachers, not an unpaid obligation on top of teaching one's 20 hours.VS

To be fair the teachers who taught on it were given a reduced load on the standard courses, the only downside was that it continued after the other courses had finished!
mAnSoUri_MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The community service hours are in addition to the established teaching hour minimum. The bigger fear is that any native speaking teachers that are left will be forced to do most of the community service because the management will not want to send the English teachers that cannot speak English out into the community.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mAnSoUri_MaDnEsS wrote:
The community service hours are in addition to the established teaching hour minimum. The bigger fear is that any native speaking teachers that are left will be forced to do most of the community service because the management will not want to send the English teachers that cannot speak English out into the community.

Then the teachers should demand o/t pay or refuse to do it.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''refuse to do it'' doesn't exist in Khaleeje; unknown concept; they knife your for it; costs you a job instantly or at the nearest term end;exceptions are unknown; case closed;
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
''refuse to do it'' doesn't exist in Khaleeje; unknown concept; they knife your for it; costs you a job instantly or at the nearest term end;exceptions are unknown; case closed;

So what? Plenty of other jobs out there. It's never taken me more than a week from application to offer. Knowing this gives the freedom to leave when it suits you and least suits them which is what they deserve.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so simple, coz if you have a few broken contracts on your account, revelaed plainly in your cvitae, then they start sniffing around and asking questions. And jobs become hard to get.

I agree the employers deserve it. And there is an essential nobility in contract-breaking in the Middle East, and on the other hand the converse indicates sycophancy of a high degree.

Truly, compos mentis, a decent career in the Middle East is impossible, unless you know the key, which I haven't cognized so far.
One person told me: the key is antidepressants or tranquilizers, i.e. to start a day with a small pill and then pull on in half-oblivion as to what is going on around you. I think the essence of that piece f advice was: not to think.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Not so simple, coz if you have a few broken contracts on your account, revelaed plainly in your cvitae, then they start sniffing around and asking questions. And jobs become hard to get.

I've not had this problem but I've only broken a contract twice. As I said you break it when it suits YOU, they deserve no consideration if they've been behaving badly. There are so many jobs out there (admittedly more for highly qualified native speakers) that it's never going to be a problem.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:

And we can refuse to go those places to work from the get-go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: