Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRAP JOB IN A WARZONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jailbreak in Benghazi has added 1000 malcontents to the general population !
mcsand42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18ldn an hour.....more crap

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=59218
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more than minimum wage in UK !!!
curbcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Sqr Al Hur 28/28 Oil and Gas

Anybody have any info on this outfit or is it more crap???????
wilco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like any current intelligence about Al Sqr Al Hur if there is anyone out there.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just there. PM me if you want details.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I pen this, the slave galleys are setting sail with their latest consignment of EFL slaves for the Shores of Tripoli. From one of the new ads, the terms offered -

•12 or 24 week fixed-term contract starting early 2014
•25 - 36 hours per week teaching Libyan police officers.
•£1000 per month tax free plus 500 Libyan Dinars local currency
•Return Economy Flights & Airport Transfers included.
•Free Accommodation, in teachers flat, including all heating and electrical bills. Own bedroom.
•SIM Card on arrival
•Working with team of other English teachers
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
As I pen this, the slave galleys are setting sail with their latest consignment of EFL slaves for the Shores of Tripoli. From one of the new ads, the terms offered -

•12 or 24 week fixed-term contract starting early 2014
•25 - 36 hours per week teaching Libyan police officers.
•£1000 per month tax free plus 500 Libyan Dinars local currency
•Return Economy Flights & Airport Transfers included.
•Free Accommodation, in teachers flat, including all heating and electrical bills. Own bedroom.
•SIM Card on arrival
•Working with team of other English teachers

Absolutely dire!

Yay! I get my own bedroom!

Oh, but wait! A SIM card on arrival! Hold on, let me reconsider! This deal doesn't look so bad all of a sudden!

Doesn't mention if that SIM card is free or at cost. I wouldn't assume it is free.

*SIGH*

Warm regards,
fat_chris
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The Heart of Darkness springs to mind when you really think about this place.

Our company is already covering its legal arse in the event we get evaced again...erm on no pay but please wait to be recalled.

I swear some of these people are 'on the pipe'.

Full-time but treated like a contractor without contractor rates.

Tightest as*holes on the planet at the moment. Must need cash for all their 'business trips'.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo, many thanks for your numerous reports. Do keep us updated.

What a sham to send people to a warzone without proper compensation, preparation, and accommodation.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: No problem Reply with quote

No problem. I'm doing a public service.

I've got one of the top gigs here but won't be staying.

We are all sick of being abused by the locals, ignored by our companies and frankly just lied to constantly. Every now and again they dangle the carrot and the rumour goes round that a pay rise is imminent or a new work/leave schedule etc but that's all it is, a story to make us not quit. I think I've just about reached my limit and the bucket of doodoo now outweighs the bucket of cash. It's just a no brainer. We can all earn more money living in luxury in the Gulf. This 'Libya is going through difficult times, so please be patient' speech has got old. They can't or won't even do the simple stuff for us like provide our per diem on time. They win every 50/50 ball. For example, if travelling home leaves you out of pocket, they tell you to claim expenses-'no problem my friend' only to not pay them later. If they stick you on a route which takes 2 days to get home, they don't add the extra day to your leave bank as 'leave owed'. In fact, your rotation will be meaningless if they don't want you to go on that date as a clerk will just 'lose' your passport.

The Libs are all driving new cars meanwhile and telling us to be patient. They've had umpteen rises and endless improvements. There is cash but not for expats. We've just found out they haven't even paid our medical insurance despite it being a contractual obligation and we are in a friggin war zone. I could rattle off a whole host of other complaints. The letter from the Chairman we've just recieved thanks us for our loyalty but goes on to say 'if we send you home for a while, don't expect any pay.' Our Libyan colleagues, direct-hire just like us, will get paid tho'.

The problems here aren't going to be fixed any time soon cos it's actually the people that are the problem. Everyone is out for himself and there is little or no good will left for the expats. They think they are doing us a favour and that's why the offers coming out of this third world hell-hole are so paltry.

Even after one of our colleagues was robbed at gunpoint by a taxi driver, the company drivers still regularly fail to be there for airport pickups, whilst claiming the overtime no doubt. The expat lady who got raped last year has still received no justice. It's simply despicable. We had a guy carjacked and shots fired last week on the camp and the Chairman sends us a letter telling us not to worry and that the company has our safety as its main priority. Yeah right. It's all hogwash.

It's simple. Don't come and work here right now. It's bloody dangerous, people are armed to the teeth, no-one will give a monkey's if you do get shot and it's highly likely that whoever you work for is just making money and that's all he/she cares about. You are expendable because they can always hire down-and-outs from Thailand.

That FCO advice is 'on the money'.

The country is in the worst state any of us have ever seen it in.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

More 'events' last night.

We are all wondering how the F*** we are going to get out.

The Filipino Embassy has issued a mandatory evacuation notice and they are usually the last to leave.

Fighting has erupted at the airport in Trip overnight.

So if there's fighting in Tripoli to the west and Benghazi and the Islamists of Derna to the east, it's looking like we gotta stay put.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: