Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help - living in Thailand 3 months... need suggestions....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: help - living in Thailand 3 months... need suggestions.... Reply with quote

Living in Thailand for 3 months while teaching on line...

I have a couple questions before I can make this happen.

- How is the internet coverage in Thailand? Is the internet signal only strong in Bangkok like I heard from others?

- Where would you live in Thailand if you wanted very good internet coverage, near the water and not more than 30 minutes away from a large city?

- Which city do you think is the most beautiful that also has internet coverage?

- Which city is the safest with the cheapest rent?

- I guess my real question is what city can I not live without seeing? My husband loves swimming.

- Does anyone know where I can find out where to rent a house, apartment or condo for 3 months?

Thanks ahead of time!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: help - living in Thailand 3 months... need suggestions. Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
Living in Thailand for 3 months while teaching on line...

I have a couple questions before I can make this happen.

- How is the internet coverage in Thailand? Is the internet signal only strong in Bangkok like I heard from others?

- Where would you live in Thailand if you wanted very good internet coverage, near the water and not more than 30 minutes away from a large city?

- Which city do you think is the most beautiful that also has internet coverage?

- Which city is the safest with the cheapest rent?

- I guess my real question is what city can I not live without seeing? My husband loves swimming.

- Does anyone know where I can find out where to rent a house, apartment or condo for 3 months?

Thanks ahead of time!

Wireless... outside of Bangkok...
The internet connectivity is OK = 384k - 1mbps upstream speeds.
You won't be here long enough to get a wired connection in an apartment.

Bangkok has the best options (for obvious reasons) but you can get similar in Pattaya/Jomtien and that is near a beach and they are used to "long stay tourists".

There may not be much else available in terms of "other employment". Typically, anything near the beach with good infrastructure for foreigners has high competition and low wages.

Phuket may be an option as well with decent connectivity and near a beach with infrastructure made for tourists (but the living expenses are the highest in Thailand).

Most cities here (outside of the deep south) are safer than American cities and less safe than Korean cities. Petty crime against "rich" foreigners is common all over.

The cheapest places to live with decent connectivity are in the north east but they are not near a beach.

inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am for sure going to check into it. Do most people prefer the weather in certain places in Thailand. The extreme heat has been bothering my husband a great deal lately.

On a different note... I noticed Dave himself is in Thailand. Seems to have a nice place. But, he has a great deal more money than I do to play with.

Dave himself right now is in Chiang Mai. I just checked on facebook.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am for sure going to check into it. Do most people prefer the weather in certain places in Thailand. The extreme heat has been bothering my husband a great deal lately.

The heat can certainly take some getting used to. I've been here for about 5 months now and I still have days where it gets to me, the humidity more than the heat though.

In regards to safety: I live in a small town and have never once feared for my safety. Crimes like pickpocketing are somewhat common in the big cities, but in my small town I have never had ANY type of negative interaction no matter what time of day or what part of town.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always hot in amazing Thailand....heat and high humidity all year round...especially in Bangkok. Enjoy the Land of Smiles! Very Happy
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it was that hot over there some much of the time.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know that is not HOT year round in the Land of Smiles is the Doi Suthep Mountain Peak in Chiang Mai Province...but to get up there is quite an ordeal. I do know there is a campsite up on the peak...have stayed there myself..problem is the internet connection is poor. Good luck! Very Happy
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
I didn't know it was that hot over there some much of the time.

Yeah, SE Asia pretty much has two seasons: Dry & hot or Wet & hot. Idea Laughing Exclamation

And when I say dry, I mean bone dry.Twisted Evil

And when I say wet, I mean monsoon wet. Razz

And when I say hot, I mean hot as hell. Shocked

Want to escape the heat? Try Inner Mongolia, PRC. Cool
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know of...besides Doi Suthep mountain top peak to escape the heat in the Land of Smiles....is the airport!!! Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know of...besides Doi Suthep mountain top peak to escape the heat in the Land of Smiles....is the airport!!! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:

Unless you live in the Loei area in the mountains of NE Thailand, which has weather that goes down to freezing in the cool season, you are going to have some heat. Northern Thailand in the mountainous Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai area is much cooler than the Mid-planes or Southern Thailand area. You will need a heavy sweater in those cities in cool season, but they still get hot in the hot season although not as humid. The last time I was in BKK during the hot season it was just over 100 degrees Fahrenheit with very high humidity.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

7-11
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our house in Buriram which is on the Korat Plateau gets cool in winter. I clearly remember sitting with the in-laws round a fire at Xmas time drinking Cambodian absinthe and it was 13 degrees. December and January we always used to sit around a fire in the evening.

Sometimes a lot of early morning fog too.

Thais sunbathing, so anywhere NE or N will be cool in cool season.

Three seasons in Thailand not two: hot, hot and raining, and very hot!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually come to think of it my home is the coolest place to be in the Land Of Smiles ALL YEAR ROUND...and Tom Yam Kung is always available on our menu for our EFL guests....especially during the Songkran Festivities!!!! Laughing
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
Three seasons in Thailand not two: hot, hot and raining, and very hot!

4 seasons in Thailand; hot, very hot, hot & raining, hot & flood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: