Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching without TEFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got out of Saudi Arabia in one piece. Still fighting a rearguard action against my wife, but she never actually planned to behead me, or slit my throat. (Did she ?)
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

I was wondering how we'd ever know if something had happened to you. Just no more postings and some news stories about some more casualties with no real way to put them together. Maybe somebody would let us know, or it would turn up in some article.

So where did you end up? Or is it a secret?

And I'm still curious if you've ever passed through any of the former soviet areas.

Good luck with the rearguard action. That's where most of my stress seems to be coming from lately.
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaneth, I is going to China. Fool that I be.

They sold me on that whole 16 hours a week, University students, free accommodation with 2 bedrooms, broadband, obscenely low living costs thing.

早你人

doesn't mean anything, just testing Smile
zaneth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you didn't mention anything about getting paid. Did you ask them about that?

Good luck, I guess I'll have to start reading the China forum to find out how things go.

I was originally headed for China. Got sidetracked...
waxwing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid? Paid you say ? Laughing Laughing

I think I'm on the wrong side of the world for that.

One of the best bits about it is that I have to figure out a way to get across to Vladivostok. I'm currently planning to Trans-Siberian it somehow but I may recover my sanity at some point and decide to fly.

If I ever get there I might make a few posts here comparing the two places. Could be interesting.

The place I'm going to is Harbin, there is a certain Russian connection there because it's so close to the border. That ought to be very interesting.
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Rogan Josh Reply with quote

Quote:
What I fear (well not very much, I'm leaving anyway, but for others' sake) is that we have a repeat of the rogan fiasco, where someone gets all offended and deletes all of their posts that was a pain back when I was trying to research visas and all that malarkey.

Was the above about a pompus twit who'd been DS in a couple of places and thought he was God?

I had the misfortune to cross his path on VirtualTourist while looking for teachers for a friend's language camp. He is a right plonker.

Scot47, I hope you're not Scottish. I don't much like the American version of the language (manoeuvre is much prettier than maneuver) and I don't get on at all well with my small-minded American colleague, but 'abroad' is any place outside the boundaries of your own nation and not a clever point to base an attack on.

The point I wanted to make to the original post is that TEFL qualifications, in my experience, are not worth the effort of getting them. I know a TEFL trainer who confirms my suspicions. They don't prove anything unless they are top notch and earned at a serious institution. Even then, you only really need them if you want to work with the British Council. But who would want to work there? I don't have any qualifications, just a slightly raggy university degree, and it took me less than 18 months to get into a top-dollar job. The main thing is patience, perseverance and confidence in yourself. Come in September as the other man said, that's about the time when all the soft-pawed foreigners start to drift off home to mummy and daddy, and the rich pickings are to be had. Schools are often a little desperate at this time, and can often give you a good timetable. Make sure you ask for good money to go with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: