Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Buraimi: An Academic dystopia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicole2010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'the problem is not that these institutions are young, but rather they seem to be on the wrong track as i detailed in my article and the people in charge are not willing to acknowledge these problems. I actually made this point when i was talking to some officials in UOB. i told them that when dealing with a problem, the first step is to recognize there is one. '

<---This is true. I don't think Anas is participating in snobbery. If you look at international rankings of Universities world wide, Oman has no school ranking in the top 500, but Saudi has two.

UOB has a jaded past. They had several different contracts to recruit teachers and get things rolling for UOB causing discord between the Omani administers at UOB and the contracted administrators and teachers. The first hired contractors failed to produce and what was then ELS took over. ELS did manage to hire the teachers and get the school opened. However, there were lots of complaints from the teachers under ELS.

I think ELS's problem was they did not communicate effectively and timely enough with their teachers which caused a type of uncertainly among the teachers feeding distrust toward ELS. Also, ELS didn't have the manpower or cash flow to effectively manage the programme. However, they did get the school open which may never have happened without them do to the total incompetence of the others who were supposed to do it. ELS had a Canadian manager for their Muscat office who is a good guy and highly competent, but he was not that involved the the UOB project.

Also, with the exception of SQU and maybe the German Tech; the Omani colleges really are not up to par in any shape or form. A large problem is the people managing them. Any time there is a competent teacher from the outside who has a clue about education, it is a threat to the some of the teachers who do not speak English that well and to the management because they will be reminded of how totally incompetent they are when compared to outside standards. Their 'appearance' is then shattered. It only hurts Omanis in the end as they will not obtain an education to the level needed to participate in the work force with the appropriate skills for the job.

Last edited by nicole2010 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
With all due respect a.anas, we are not talking about Omani nationals, but the institution eg UOB) run by an Iraqi/Jordanian & an Egyptian Dean who are so in love with their qualifications that they regard everyone else as plebs and imbeciles.

Yes, the students suffer, but as I said UOB is STILL in its infancy.

True, but the 'University' is under the control and supervision of the OMANI MOHE. It doesn't matter how much time is allowed to pass, without root and branch changes to the educational system, and more crucially the culture, the HE sector will not progress. Funnily this reminds me in a strange way of the Millennium Hotel in Musannah; three years ago any problems in service were blamed on the 'soft opening.' Three years later and it's the same old refrain. Nobody will accept criticism or blame and so nothing will change. It's the same across all levels of this society....I worked in a brand new MBA College in India, if there were problems the management listened to their expensively hired ex-pats and made changes. It's still not a decade old but head and shoulders above anything I've experienced in Oman.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people and countries are more open to suggestions and improvements. Others are mules!
a.anas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candles, none of the problems cited in the article are attributable to lack of experience. the deliberate illegal and unprofessional practices in UOB are driven not so much by lack of expertise as by profit maximization.

at first, UOB was run by a guy from Austria, but his standards were too high ( IELTS score and so forth) and so he was replaced with an Egyptian. The point i want to make is that the main shareholders don't care about academic standards as much as they care about profit.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was there, surrounded by money grabbing parasites!

The only way anything is going to be solved at UOB and et al is through the intervention of the Sultan.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:

The only way anything is going to be solved at UOB and et al is through the intervention of the Sultan.

One could argue the westerners are interested in only $$.

One solution to the problems-that-shouldn't-be-problems at places like UOB and ASU is for the westerners to simply not go those places to work. But again....one could argue the westerners who work at these employers are interested in only $$.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.9% of the world is interested in $$$ £££££ etc.... so what's new?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:

Methinks he has much more pressing concerns on his mind at the moment...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
CANDLES wrote:

Methinks he has much more pressing concerns on his mind at the moment...

I fear that is true. Crying or Very sad

VS
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
99.9% of the world is interested in $$$ £££££ etc.... so what's new?

Emphasis on 'only'.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious problems are NEVER going to end, so let him deal with the educational side as priority Cool
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
Religious problems are NEVER going to end, so let him deal with the educational side as priority Cool

I was referring to his own problems...
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, problems, plus educational problems!

You can tell he's a man, because a woman would have coped with all of it! Very Happy
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
Yes, problems, plus educational problems!

You can tell he's a man, because a woman would have coped with all of it! Very Happy

To be fair I don't think he personally has done too bad a job EXCEPT that his tendency to appease has created a nation of spoilt brats with a giant sense of entitlement.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor man can't win! Sad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: