Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workingsmarter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Is the juice worth the squeeze? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a potential contract working in Abu Dhabi, which looks something like this:

The salary scale is £26,000-£50,000 annual tax free
-Single Status
-Free accommodation
-Utility bills and transportation monthly allowance
-Free flights
-Free medical insurance
-Professional advancement offered

--let's say it's 26, would that be enough? I know that the UAE is a different animal than KSA, but when I was there I made less, and was able to save quite a bit. The application process is EXTREMELY lengthy. I just want to make sure that "the juice is worth the squeeze" so to speak, before putting in the effort.
Wink

Thanks in advance to everyone for any advice you could spare.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a salary range. Though your accommodation is free, are you certain that isn't be included as part of the greater compensation package (that is the value of the housing included to inflate the actual package)? There is a difference between salary and a total compensation package, but many recruiters are blurring the line between the two while salary is only part of a total compensation package. Is this position through a recruiter or is it direct hire?

If you are frugal, I don't see why £26,000 wouldn't be sufficient, if the compensation is as it's actually described here.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the benefits indicated, it should be fine unless you eat out in pricey restaurants on a regular basis or are a compulsive shopaholic. Anyway, in addition to your spending habits, you'll have to factor in any financial obligations you're currently paying toward and whatever amount you expect to set aside in savings each month. In other words, only you know if it will be enough.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why the pay is stated in pounds. You say that you are in the US... is this a British employer?

That is about $3700/13500 DH a month that only need pay for food, entertainment, phone/internet(?), sat TV (?) and a car assuming that you will get one. (?) Unless you are a major drinker/partier, you should be able to save 1/2 - 2/3 of it. It is all about where 'savings' lands in your personal priorities.

And assuming that you have the required educational creds and letters of employment of your time in KSA, you should be getting more than entry.

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my answer many tend to disagree and I have never understood why. Homes are much better built in Dubai. Life seems to be sweet. Shopping, movies, restaurants, activities and sports seem to be better. I lived in Abu Dhabi and have spent every weekend in Dubai. When I lived in Dubai I was ver very happy because if the reasons I mentioned.

Many complained about the traffic and how it's terrible once you miss a turn, I actually found a new place to hang out every time I missed a turn. You have to see the entrance of Dubai when your coming from Jebel Ali, it's just breath taking. Every time I miss a turn I just enjoy the beauties of the buildings and make a stop at a local cafe.

People complain about getting to work on time. What I did was I was I used the transportation provided by the school and snoozed till work. So it's really about perspective.

Amount of work: there's too much work, too many tasks in Dubai. In KSA everybody is lazy and the amount of work is 2-3x less. But you basicall have no life here even if you like in a compound.

Example: lady gaga is coming in sept. I wish I could go.

This leads to saving money: none in UAEbecause of the lifestyle you lead. In ksa you don't spend much because there's nothing to spend on.

So your wondering why am I in KSA. I found a better position here but I'll go back to the UAE. I want to have 2-5 years of experience. Lol anytime I find Sth I'll go back. Goodluck prioritizing.

Oh be sure to stop at California kitchen at Dubai mall or mall of emirates and eat chicken piccata. My fav. Dish.
Workingsmarter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, it seems that it is decent deal then. It will be something I will have to seriously consider!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: