Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Asian Country Is Best To Teach-Most Money-Least Scams?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NP1970

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Which Asian Country Is Best To Teach-Most Money-Least Scams? Reply with quote

I've already been warned about China (www.ChinaScamBusters.com) but what about Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Indonesia, Malayasi, Vietnam, Thailand? Anyone actually taught in those countries? If yes what's the low down summary? Thanks.
CHINOISE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only worked in Korea and China and never been "scammed". But there are a lot of "fishy" things that employers do in Asia in general.

I'd say there are far more legit jobs in China than anywhere, but part of that is the fact that there are so many jobs there.

Anyway, wherever you choose to work it will be a gamble. There are so many things the company does or doesn't provide for you. Unless you have an hour long conversation with someone who's already worked there a year, you'd never know what you're getting yourself into. Make sure you spend as much time as possible researching the country and studying the language before you fly over. You're also gonna need at least 2 thousand dollars to be on the safe said as well as a credit card.

Good luck
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Asian Country Is Best To Teach-Most Money-Least Sc Reply with quote

NP1970 wrote:
I've already been warned about China (www.ChinaScamBusters.com) but what about Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Indonesia, Malayasi, Vietnam, Thailand? Anyone actually taught in those countries? If yes what's the low down summary? Thanks.

I currently teach in Thailand. Like every other place there are plenty of shady employers out there, but if you do your research you'll be fine. Before you accept any offer ask if you can talk to a current EFL teacher, or if they have 'references' from past teachers who you can get in contact with. Any halfway decent school shouldn't have an issue with this.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Money + Least Scams In Asia= Brunei..it's now also under Sharia Law! Shocked
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Most Money + Least Scams In Asia= Brunei..it's now also under Sharia Law! Shocked

They also exclude Americans:

- must be from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or UK (commonwealth countries).
- you must have completed your basic and tertiary education in one of those countries.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

I'm assuming, like most normal people probably would, that you make comments like that because you're really not too bright when it comes to doing anything else. When one is a Ne'er Do Well or perhaps just some type of a Weirdo, become an anti-American, all of a sudden you feel like you're someone. Laughing Actually countries can be like you too. A country with a lowlife hypocritical Sultan, from what I have heard, drawing attention away from himself with Sharia law. What an absolute load.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
suphanburi wrote:

I'm assuming, like most normal people probably would, that you make comments like that because you're really not too bright when it comes to doing anything else. When one is a Ne'er Do Well or perhaps just some type of a Weirdo, become an anti-American, all of a sudden you feel like you're someone. Laughing Actually countries can be like you too. A country with a lowlife hypocritical Sultan, from what I have heard, drawing attention away from himself with Sharia law. What an absolute load.

Actually, no. I just posted it as a simple matter of fact.

Of the "7" native speaking countries that are usually utilized for "Native Speakers" Brunei makes a point of excluding the Americans so while it has the fewest scams and the best pay in Asia it is also not open to those holding passports from the United States.

They also exclude ALL of those persons who are over the age of 52.

Since I reported that I must also be ageist as well as anti-American.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is at the top end ....salaries for EFL teachers are rising daily...scams are rare too..and yes they employ North Americans (including Canadians) Very Happy
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tale from Likwid_777's "Naivety in Asia" vault

Ok, this is more of a tourist scam than one ESLers have to look out for, but I'm sure many of you know about it.

http://www.tropicalmba.com/poker/ - this is one version, if you're interested, there are a few different angles taken by the scammers, and there are more links on that site. It happens mainly in Vietnam and Cambodia apparently, but it (almost) happened to me in Laos.

The link is to "The High Stakes Poker Scam (A Vietnam Travel Story)". Apparently it's one of the most common scams in all of SEA. I can't be bothered typing the whole tale, read the links if you want more of an idea.

Apparently it's mainly perpetrated by Pinoy scammers, and they usually say that they're locals or Malaysians, whatever.

In my case I thought the scam was just this woman wanting a visa, to join up with her "sister" who was going to be a nurse in Australia. The nurse thing is a common element. Also, she said something about her family being booted out of Lao in the 1970s (victim card).

After stumbling across this scam on the net the other day, I'm amazed at how many different countries this scam operates in, and just how scripted and complex it is.

Then there was the common element the "friend from Brunei", in my case who had wronged old mate "Macau croupier" by only giving him a small share of the previous night's made up "deal".

He got to the point where he had taught me the hand signals for cheating, and his "friend who had wronged him" had arrived, a googley eyed weirdo with false, neon white teeth. I already knew that he wanted me to help him scam this guy in a blackjack game, as the "Brunei guy" whacked up a big wad of US bills as he arrived. And yes, by then truly I knew I was the mark.

Anyway, thanks for the free lunch, and for giving me a sealed can of Coke to drink, ya wingnuts! They didn't get anything out of me.

Kind of interesting story to tell. Tip, when alone and bored out of your mind in Vientiane, there are probably more intelligent ways to get a future story. I could have been drugged or whatever else.

Edit- Probably should have edited the truly horrible English in the whole post, but just edited some perhaps borderline lingo.

Last edited by likwid_777 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea offers the best in terms benefits (airfare, housing, medical) and pay. People report saving $20,000 a year in Korea if you try to save. It's also one of the most modern places to like in Asia.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Korea offers the best in terms benefits (airfare, housing, medical) and pay. People report saving $20,000 a year in Korea if you try to save. It's also one of the most modern places to like in Asia.

Pretty hard to save $20k per year on an annual salary of $23k (regardless of how many packs of instant noodles you live on).

Savings in Korea are typically on the order of US$12k for entry level hagwons or public schools.

Saving $20k might be possible if you qualify for senior levels in a PS job or specialty skills in private academies (SAT prep, etc) and you are earning $35k+ per year.

conwaypk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to save $20,000. I think I could do it in a year.
But if I'm shooting for a 6-month contract, I'd try to save $10k.

I know that might be tough, and I might come up a bit short, but I'd be okay with that.

I think Korea is going to be far more favorable than this place (China.)
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically I think it's possible to save $10,000 a year teaching in Korea...and half of that for six months. I understand from other teachers teaching there salaries are now on their way down due to less demand for EFL teachers and the fact that there is an oversupply of fresh university graduates from North America seeking employment there. I understand starting salaries now average around 1.8 million won annually for newbies...an unfortunate sign of the EFL times!!! Rolling Eyes
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be 1.8-2.1 million won per month (about US$1750-$2000) NOT per year... PLUS housing and airfare (now often only 1-way).

In spite of what you see advertised, unless you work at a public school, you will NOT get medical or pension benefits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: