Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off the beaten track
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Off the beaten track Reply with quote

I'm looking for information on teaching in some places that are out of the way from the normal TESOL circuit. I'm looking for something to distract that will be new and interesting for a year or so. I don't really care about the pay, as I have no bills to worry about, so as long as it pays enough to support myself then it's fine.

Anyone have information about places like Bhutan or East Timor? I'd also be interested in hearing about other places in the SE or South Asia region that are not as well traveled as most of the normal EFL destinations.

Edited to removed some personal info someone saw fit to use to attack me with.

Last edited by ExpatLuke on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays it is very unlikely that you will find a place to teach that is off the beaten track. I would try Papua New Guinea...it is definitely an exotic location and is rather off the beaten EFL backpacker track if that is what you seek. Lots of isolated villages in the mountains and grest natural sceney. Just stay away from the cannibals....or you might become one! Very Happy
likwid_777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Myanmar or Bhutan I think would be the ones closest to what you want. Myanmar has only recently opened up, but I think it has been swamped by people looking for what you seek, already. Maybe you can go to Recall for a more interesting trip to Mars.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for Papua New Guinea as is definetly off the beaten backpacker EFL teacher and tourist track...the Cannibals there really need to learn English..Checkout Papua New Guinea Highland tours. I don't know what they pay for EFL teachers...but the benefits are excellent. Long pig is delicious! Shocked
likwid_777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe West Papua too, where you could preach for independence from Indonesia in class. That would be a good idea... Shocked

On that track, East Timor must be still pretty interesting on some level. Shame though, the world really is pretty small these days.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:

Shame though, the world really is pretty small these days.

That's certainly true. There's still some islands in the pacific that are fairly unknown and untraveled as well. I recently read a thread about some of the islands in Micronesia that sounded fantastic. Sri Lanka might be interesting too...

Right now though I'm thinking Bhutan or East Timor are my best bets. I'd like to hear more information about both if anyone has experience to share.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont allow your emotions to contol your thinking and future its too bad that your viet girl tossed you but just because you got dumped doesnt mean you have to go and hide on an island etc you seem to be thinking like a person on the rebound and not thinking straight nows the time to think logically not emotionally and sulking on a desert island wont help be a man and deal with reality there are a lot of fish in the sea just get your fishing pole out i hope youre were not woken up at 3 am and have been deported please say it didnt happen pull up your bootstraps and keep your head high and your chin out there is no reason to run away from the world.

best of luck friend
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a change of pace and a bit of adventure. I'm not looking for advice from someone who can't even form a proper sentence. Please continue to work illegally in Vietnam, whilst taking part in illegal drugs, and drinking the 50 cent beer.

We all know what kind of "teacher" people like you are.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would go for Papua New Guinea as is definetly off the beaten backpacker EFL teacher and tourist track...the Cannibals there really need to learn English..Checkout Papua New Guinea Highland tours. I don't know what they pay for EFL teachers...but the benefits are excellent. Long pig is delicious! Shocked

I like your style which course book would be the best for teaching cannibals, are there any job openings, and yes i do enjoy 50 cent beers in Vietnam, i dont suggest that someone who has been chewed up and spat out in vietnam take a trip off the beaten path best to continue your daily routine same job etc, i am always amazed at the number of teachers who bite the dust in vietnam
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
Quote:

I like your style which course book would be the best for teaching cannibals, are there any job openings, and yes i do enjoy 50 cent beers in Vietnam, i dont suggest that someone who has been chewed up and spat out in vietnam take a trip off the beaten path best to continue your daily routine same job etc, i am always amazed at the number of teachers who bite the dust in vietnam

I see you've finally found out how to add punctuation to some of your sentences. Unfortunately for you, adding commas at random does not make a coherent sentence. Don't worry... I'm sure you'll figure it out at some point. Perhaps your next big discovery will be the amazing period.

I have a great idea for you. Instead of following people from other forums around, how about you mind your own business? I know you got laughed out of the Vietnam forums a few times. That's tough. But your behavior is to blame. That's what happens when you boast about working illegally and how you enjoy doing drugs.

PS. I haven't washed out of Vietnam. I will be back after a year or so. Like I said, I just want a bit of adventure before I settle down here for good. After all, I won't be young forever. Soon I have your shining example of an old, deadbeat to live up to.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand your anger it always happens when one ends a relationship and in particular when you dont want it to end i understand so i dont take any offense at what you have written
i think it would be best for you to focus on the positive and move on
focus on the future i have a lot of experience in pastoral duties you may need to meet with a professional i have an american friend who
is a psychologist in hcmc i will pm you the details and my prayers are with you and hope the best for you
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another warm fuzzy "forum" moment here folks Laughing

Can't we all just get along?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Off the beaten track Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I'm looking for information on teaching in some places that are out of the way from the normal TESOL circuit. I'm looking for something to distract that will be new and interesting for a year or so. I don't really care about the pay, as I have no bills to worry about, so as long as it pays enough to support myself then it's fine.

Anyone have information about places like Bhutan or East Timor? I'd also be interested in hearing about other places in the SE or South Asia region that are not as well traveled as most of the normal EFL destinations.

Edited to removed some personal info someone saw fit to use to attack me with.

Well, if you are not concerned with pay, then that opens up some new avenues of approach, as being a "volunteer" with room/board covered is a very real possibility with some of the legit organizations out there. And that would mean areas which don't currently support a large (or even small) expat TEFL market would be on the "table".

A constructive & positive way to spend a year, helping out others & building up some good Karma points along the way Cool

Last edited by Prof.Gringo on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
I understand your anger, it always happens when one ends a relationship and in particular when you don't want it to end i understand so i dont take any offense at what you have written Full stop i think it would be best for you to focus on the positive and move on Full stop (period for USA English) required here.
Ffocus on the future i have a lot of experience in pastoral duties Punctuation required you may need to meet with a professional i have an american friend who
is a psychologist in hcmc i will pm you the details and my prayers are with you and hope the best for you FULL STOP!

Can we at least pretend to be English language experts?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW EFL Off the beaten track destination.....Northern Siberia.... Eskimos need to learn English to communicate with tourists especially North Americans! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: