Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much can I charge a company for classes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipjmorgan42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: How much can I charge a company for classes? Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering what you guys think about this.

I´ve been approached by a company to give classes in Monterrey. It´s a pretty big company, they´ve got offices in Spain, South America etc.

I´m a native speaker, have 2 years teaching experience, a Master´s Degree and a Bachelors, speak fluent Spanish, etc

I´m pretty sure private language schools charge companies a fortune but would be interested if anyone had any figures. I was thinking I´d charge them something in the region of 300-350 pesos an hour...does that seem a lot? not enough? about right?
Guero1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some places that pay 2000 mxp for two hours, twice a week.

Get as much as you can mate, why not, they'll only negotiate you down.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your proposed 300–350 is probably in the right range – for classes with private individuals. But a big company should be in a higher niche – all the better if you can get it.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should at the very least double what you are asking. You want to do a good job so that means you will need at least one hour planning time for each hour of class time, and your planning time should be billed at the same rate.
Also the company should be charged for all the materials and equipment used for the class. Books, paper, mp3 player, speakers, photocopies, white board markers, a projector, ext. You can negotiate with them as to whether or not they want you to figure that into the cost of the lesson, have it itemized and billed separately, or you give them a list of what you need and they provide it. They might have a training room already equipped that you can use with AV equipment, and it maybe cheaper for them to make you copies on site and provide you with white board markers if they are already buying then wholesale.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know some places that pay 2000 mxp for two hours, twice a week.

Quote:
You should at the very least double what you are asking.

Hmm, well, I'll take the dissenting view on this. Good luck to you if you can arrange 500 or 700 pesos per hour. I don't know the Monterrey market very well but I doubt you'd get that anywhere in this country.

As you asked, I'd say you should charge 250 per hour in order to land it. Quoting 300 is fine, but be prepared to negotiate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd agree with Guy. Been there, done that, and those high charges will get you nowhere, except frustrated. It's a buyers market.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Mexico I worked for a business institute for several years and what we offered was complete serviced for 350 an hour - that included teachers, materials, tapes, etc. Teachers got 180-250 pesos per hour. Before that I worked for another institute that charged the business 300 an hour and paid teachers 150. But that institute lost a HUGE contract to another institute because they were low balled on the price. So I agree with Guy that 500 isn't going to happen. 250 is realistic, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: