Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get to Taxco or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: How to get to Taxco or not? Reply with quote

I can't find any flights from Los Angeles. What would be the closest int'l airport? Should I fly in somewhere and take the bus? I've always gone to Mexico City to buy silver, I thought since Taxco was a tourist destination the prices would be higher but some people on here have said that's not the case. Has anyone compared prices?
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to Taxco several times to buy silver, and if you shop around and are getting a lot of stuff it can be a LOT cheaper. I had had shops throw in extra items for free, or offer buy one get one free if I bought a certain amount. I also found that there is better selection in Taxco. And, Taxco is very pretty, a nice place to spend the day. But, if you aren't going to buy a lot of stuff, Mexico City is probably just as good a destination.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxco should be cheaper because you are buying at the source and potentially cutting out some middlemen.

The closest international airports to Taxco would be Mexico City or Toluca.

If you go via Mexico City, then from Tasqueña bus terminal (the south bus terminal), it’s about a 2:25-hour bus ride to Taxco. The internet tells me that there are about 7 departures daily from morning until night and the cost of the bus is 185 pesos. To get from the airport to Tasqueña, it’s (I think) about 200-something pesos in an airport taxi, or if you’re adventurous and have little luggage, you can take the subway but there are two transfers changing lines.

An alternative way to get to Taxco from the airport would be to take the bus directly from the Mexico City airport to Cuernavaca and then another bus from Cuernavaca to Taxco.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little further research suggests that you wouldn’t want to fly to Toluca if your destination was Taxco; I couldn’t find any direct buses – the only way I could find to bus from Toluca to Taxco seems to be either via Mexico City or Chilpancingo, or a milk run that stops at 20 towns in between the two cities. But there might be another possibility that I missed.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are flights to the Cuernavaca airport from LAX. Possible with a connection in Las Vegas, or someplace. I have a friend who regularly flies to the US west coast from Cuernavaca. The airport code is CVJ. That same friend used to sell silver on the side. He always bought in Taxco, in bulk, with big discounts from producers at the Saturday morning market, not from stores.

There are hourly buses from Cuernavaca to Taxco. Which is less than an hour away.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get to Taxco or not? Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
I can't find any flights from Los Angeles. What would be the closest int'l airport? Should I fly in somewhere and take the bus? I've always gone to Mexico City to buy silver, I thought since Taxco was a tourist destination the prices would be higher but some people on here have said that's not the case. Has anyone compared prices?
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Thank you. I will go to. Taxco because it's pretty and I've never been and I can take silversmithing classes.
I was in a bad accident 3 years ago and my knee was destroyed and my back is messed up ( none of this from old age) so. I'm dreading a two hour bus ride. Yeah, I know Taxco is hilly but sitting is worse.
Usually in Mexico I wait till I get there and ask a local for a reasonable but clean and safe place to stay. I've been really lucky and gotten some incredible bargains and very good places. Anyone here have any places you recommend? I don't know how expensive Taxco is.
Edit: I missed the part about. Cuernavaca being only an hour. I will look into it although if I can fly direct from LAX it's only 3.5 hours flying.
Thanks again
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you decide and make plans, let us know how you’re going and we can give you some more detailed directions for the buses specific to which airport you go to.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
Once you decide and make plans, let us know how you’re going and we can give you some more detailed directions for the buses specific to which airport you go to.

Thanks, I will. I've found far better information on here than travel sites. I think because people actually live there and understand budget travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: