Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Jobs In Corfu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: TEFL Jobs In Corfu Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Although I have been a regular visitor over the course of 18 months, this is my first time posting.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice? I have a 150-hour TEFL certificate and was planning on obtaining a job in Corfu this coming August, through a recruitment agency. However, I applied for the positions currently advertised on the TEFL.com website by Anglo-hellenic on 6th April and have not had a response from them.

As I have been planning on finding work and moving to Corfu for almost 2 years now, I am aware that they are not reliable and indeed do not reply to emails. Correction, I applied for work through their own website in February, just to test the water and they emailed me back at the end of March, saying I was not successful on that occasion, which was rather disheartening. I applied again in April on the TEFL.com website and haven't had a response from them. Surprise, surprise!

I know Cambridge Teachers Recruitment are the other recruitment agency, but are they reliable? And when would they post available positions?

I am traveling out to Corfu on 19th August to visit some friends, but whilst there, I was thinking of visiting some schools, but I don't know how to go about it. Could anyone help me out with this, as to what my best bet is?

Ideally I would like to secure a position before I fly out on 19th August, just so that I have a job and apartment to go to, but I do appreciate that's highly unlikely to happen.

Final question, if I were to approach a school and ask for work, would they provide an apartement, as it does if you apply via a recruitment agency?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amanda
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Corfu Reply with quote

How much experience do you have? That will restrict your options. The British Council, for example, is recruiting teachers to work in Athens, but candidates need to have at least two years post-certificate teaching experience.

Do your friends in Corfu know the island well? If so, ask them to compile a list of the local language schools. Print a couple of dozen copies of your CV, pack a pair of good shoes and get ready to go knocking on doors. When you visit a school, ask to speak to the director of studies. Find out about the terms and conditions, including accommodation and travel expenses, if any.

As a precaution, take enough money to cover your living expenses for three months.
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Corfu Reply with quote

Hi Grahamb,

Thank-you for replying to my posts. I don't have any teaching experience. I know the Cambridge Teachers Recruitment, Anglo-Hellenic and other TEFL recruitment places have stated that you don't need any teaching experience to work in Greece.

Last year I did apply to the posts CTR had advertised just to test the water and my application was accepted, so I'm not concerned about the lack of experience aspect.

My friends are native Corfiots. They have advised me to cold call schools when I arrive as I'd have better chance of being taken on that way. I'll still hold out for CTR to advertise their jobs and apply before I leave the UK. Failing that I will resort to the cold calling.

Thanks again for responding. It's appreciated.

Regards,

Amanda
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Corfu Reply with quote

Your friends are right about cold calling; a visit in person is much more effective than an email from abroad.
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for responding and for your advice. It's much appreciated.
Amanda Wink
cotedazur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Some suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Amanda,

I know it's a bit late but here's a list of english language schools in Corfu which you should contact if you haven't already.

http://www.xo.gr/dir-az/F/Frontistiria-Xenon-Glosson/Kerkyra%20(Chora)/

There is also this classified ad which asks for a native english teacher, although it's in Greek. Smile

http://www.corfuland.gr/el/mikres-aggelies-kerkyra/ad/ergasia10/ziteitai-kathigitria-agglikon-apo-frontistirio48326#.U-vT0vmSyJQ

I suppose you've already found something by now because there's always a need for native English teachers in Greece. Smile
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CoteDazur,

That's brilliant. Thanks very much. I am still looking for a position in Corfu. I have had other offers in other parts of Greece, but I would rather get work in Corfu & stay close to friends, so that is a bug help. Thanks a lot. I will have one of my friends translate it for me.

Cheers,

Amanda
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CoteDazur,

That's brilliant. Thanks very much. I am still looking for a position in Corfu. I have had other offers in other parts of Greece, but I would rather get work in Corfu & stay close to friends, so that is a bug help. Thanks a lot. I will have one of my friends translate it for me.

Cheers,

Amanda
cotedazur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is just a list of language schools. Call them, someone might need you. The second one says:

A frontistirio (private English language school) is looking for an English teacher.
A frontistirio in the center of the city wants to hire a native English teacher or a university degree holder. You must have excellent use of oral English. Razz
Send your CV and photo at info@english.edu.gr For more information call every day 8:00-20:00 at 2661028600.
Τelephone number: 2661028600

So I suppose you are good for the job. Go for it. Smile
DohertyAmanda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fantastic. I had my friend translate for me also. I'm flying out to Corfu this Tuesday, so hopefully I can arrange to go in and speak to someone.

Thanks for you're help. I really appreciate that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: