Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottom Feeders?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fledex mentioned leaving KSA in an earlier post.

Regarding my quals: 13 years teaching experience, master's degree USA, professional certificate in English and ESOL. First time going overseas.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question would be... why Saudi Arabia? If this is your first overseas post and you aren't Muslim (or perhaps you are), there are probably better/easier options in the rest of the Gulf... for equal or better money.

Assuming that your MA in related, you could expand your search to the whole Gulf in order to avoid the worst of the employers.

VS
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right VS. However, I found KSA to be doing most of the advertising. I had one dismal interview in Oman (absolutely ruined due to to the Skype connection and an obviously impatient interviewer). I was made several offers in KSA which I narrowed to two. One was a language center with a terrible rep on this board and the other was a direct hire with terrible rep on this board. I have decided its time to make a decision so I am choosing the direct hire for better pay and more vacation. I would like to know where to apply next year if its miserable. This will give me uni experience, which is my goal, if I move to other places in the Gulf.

To answer your question. I want to teach in the Gulf because my husbsnd works there and the money is good.
coder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by coder on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpmefindausername wrote:
Regarding my quals: 13 years teaching experience, master's degree USA, professional certificate in English and ESOL.

I would like to know where to apply next year if its miserable. This will give me uni experience, which is my goal, if I move to other places in the Gulf.

If you're new to university teaching, what did your 13 years of teaching experience entail? And was all of it in TEFL? Also, you didn't mention your MA major, but as VS pointed out, the rest of the Gulf requires a relevant grad degree. You'd also need at least 3 years of university-level EFL teaching for major employers in the rest of the Gulf.

As for applying next year, plan to head to TESOL Arabia's job fair in Dubai when many top universities in the region do their recruiting/hiring.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...plan to head to TESOL Arabia's job fair in Dubai when many top universities in the region do their recruiting/hiring.

Interesting use of the word...

Some might argue using "baby-sitting establishments" instead of universities, as well...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right VS. However, I found KSA to be doing most of the advertising. ... I want to teach in the Gulf because my husbsnd works there and the money is good.

Since Saudi is the biggest country, it naturally has the most openings... and the most quite horrid employers too. LOL

As Coder mentioned, where your husband is working is very important. If he is in Saudi, you will need to get a job there... and alternatively, if he is not in Saudi, you definitely don't want to be there. Your movements in and out of Saudi will be very restricted... and possibly completely blocked by your (shady?) employer. Movement for him will be easier, but unless there is some circumstance that we aren't aware of, not that much easier for him to get in for a visit. (think much paperwork and aggravation)

If both of you are outside of Saudi in other Gulf countries, either of you can freely travel about with little problem as both Americans and Brits can get their visa at the airports. (last I heard)

VS
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is contractor in the Gulf region. He works in many different locations. My new employer will give him a spousal visa, but he will be coming and going as his contracts dictate. We will set our residency in KSA. His contracts can range from 4 to 12 weeks at a time. I have taken a job; I will go sooner or later, as it is willed (and hopefully this school year lol). We are older and don't need to party. Actually we are quite boring and like to stay home and read or watch tv during our time off. We will enjoy the occasional holiday an iqama will allow for.

The question is where to find the acceptable employers if I find my new employer becomes a nightmare. Can anyone tell me which doors I might knock on for next year? It seems as if every company that has made me an offer has had some sort of a "don't do it" warning on this forum.

Thanks for all of your support!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is where to find the acceptable employers if I find my new employer becomes a nightmare. Can anyone tell me which doors I might knock on for next year?

I already gave you that info in my previous post. Plan to head to TESOL Arabia's job fair next year if you want a shot at face-to-face interviews with about 30 GCC employers (mostly universities) hiring directly. March is when the recruiting season starts.
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad Soul. I will keep an eye out for it. Until then, I will suck it up and share my war stories on the forum next year.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad Soul. I will keep an eye out for it. Until then, I will suck it up and share my war stories on the forum next year.

Low expectations and a sense of humor... Cool

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Especially absurdist, surreal humor.

e.g.

Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: A fish.

Regards,
John
coder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: