Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

summer thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinbanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: summer thoughts Reply with quote

I am interested to hear from teachers in the UAE who know or have known people who have been 'retired'because of age and whether that means that there is now a 'glut'of educators no longer....er,in the first bloom of youth as it were,who are back home.
Are there hard and fast rules about age requirements or is it just an excuse to ease the payroll bill?Are some institutions more 'age friendly'than others?Your thoughts.....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: summer thoughts Reply with quote

robinbanks wrote:
I am interested to hear from teachers in the UAE who know or have known people who have been 'retired'because of age and whether that means that there is now a 'glut'of educators no longer....er,in the first bloom of youth as it were,who are back home.
Are there hard and fast rules about age requirements or is it just an excuse to ease the payroll bill?Are some institutions more 'age friendly'than others?Your thoughts.....

Can't speak about the UAE but I know two teachers in Oman who have been terminated against their wishes for the crime of living to be older than 60.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those things that we can only speculate about since this part of the world seems to be short of hard, fast rules. In the UAE my guess would be that it is mostly about economics; budget cuts mean getting rid of the higher paid teachers who are also accumulating giant gratuity payouts and sometimes medical costs.

But then it can also be a handy excuse to get rid of those that you might not like - for one reason or another.

Isn't there always a glut of older teachers who have difficulty getting hired? To be honest, most of the teachers I know that were near my age retired on their own, not because they were "not renewed." And I know teachers who are between 65-70 who were renewed.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="veiledsentiments
But then it can also be a handy excuse to get rid of those that you might not like - for one reason or another.

Isn't there always a glut of older teachers who have difficulty getting hired? To be honest, most of the teachers I know that were near my age retired on their own, not because they were "not renewed." And I know teachers who are between 65-70 who were renewed.

VS[/quote]

All true, the stupid thing in the case I cited is that the College only had three IELTS qualified examiners who did the preparation for the final year students. I've quit and they've retired the other two......yet another example of joined up thinking.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. My dad's friend is 66 years old and he's working in KSA. You just have to prove that you are fit. Not in weight wise but that you are not a tired old man who can't move round.

There was a period he was over weight so he had trouble checking on sites. (He is a project manager in construction with more than 36 years of experience. ) he would run out of breath most of the times so they fired him but they accused him of being old. This was in the UAE.

Now he has lost 15 kg, that's about 30 pounds. He tries very hard to stay on his feet all day.

I hope this helps. I don't think age is a problem. Goodluck.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that.Everything is possible under the sun,right?But when you're actually applying through an agent?What then?.I was actually accepted in a couple of places but the gov't(KSA'S) turned me down-or more accurately turned the institution who wanted to hire me,down.Now we are in August,traditionally a time of last minute hires (can you guess the institution I mean?)I wonder how the 60 plus people are getting on and if they are trying to get back (if they were laid off)get back,get back to where they once "belonged"....get back Jojo......but only if you're under 60.
Your thoughts....[/i]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been years since someone over 60 could get a new job... even late 50's. (unless you have wasta)

If you were hired earlier than that, you can normally stay as long as they feel that you can do the job. I know teachers in their 70s. But whenever they want to get rid of you for whatever reason, they tend to say that the government won't renew your visa.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Summer Thoughts Reply with quote

VS is absolutely correct. Last year when I left a tertiary institution in UAE, one individual who turned 65 was up for renewal and was not renewed, whereas another individual of similar age and credentials was renewed. Both individuals had been there for at least 3 3-year contracts as well so the decision was not based on accrued end-of-year bonuses. There were never any NEW hires over age 60; 59, yes. And now there are slim pickins' because of the goal to Emiratize the workforce. Good luck.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in people either returning to the UAE or are awaiting an interview especially over the next few weeks when many institutions-i am thinking tertiary here-are finding themselves oversubscribed with students-because of the lower entry standards (HTC?ZU?)or vocational (vacational?)colleges/institutions,but,understaffed on paper.Is anyone in this 'holding pattern'at the moment circling above AD or Dubai waiting to be talked down?
robinbanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably "flogging"this a little but at this stage of the year,many people are only days away from "reporting back"to their various institutions in the UAE and i wonder if they reflected over the summer how their "institutions of excellence"have fared in the previous 12 months.For those still,erm,"hanging on the telephone"(sorry,Debbie)are they awaiting a call to arms from said institutions as they realise how short they are staffwise?Your thought,please.....
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinbanks wrote:
I am probably "flogging"this a little but at this stage of the year,many people are only days away from "reporting back"to their various institutions in the UAE and i wonder if they reflected over the summer how their "institutions of excellence"have fared in the previous 12 months.For those still,erm,"hanging on the telephone"(sorry,Debbie)are they awaiting a call to arms from said institutions as they realise how short they are staffwise?Your thought,please.....

The unfortunate fact is that many people, when they think "TEFLers"...think "Western passport-holders" as they are native-speakers. They think, "How the Hell are they going to fill in slots that self-respecting TEFLers have created by voting with their feet?"

My sad duty is to report that HCT has found a new vein of TEFLers...

...and it runs right out of Turkey...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Lebanon?

VS
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Not Lebanon?

VS

Well, you know, Lebanon, Egypt, Tunisia, et. al. have been the staples in the past, but Turkey was specifically mentioned.

I don't know why, but knowing the deep thinking of the Evil "Dr." K, he could argue that they are "European" seeing that they have a toe in the continent! Rolling Eyes
robinbanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be very little going on in the hiring stakes which seems strange seeing as quite a few were laid off before the summer break.UGRU have not hired new staff for over a year,ZU have only hired one or two for the new ac.years and HTC,despite advertising vacancies and putting people in that "pool"they have do not seem to be offering interviews.This is the "reports back w'end for these institutions is it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: