Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Qualifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Teaching Qualifications Reply with quote

Good day everyone, wherever you may be in the world,

I am a newbie to this, so here goes , and I'm grateful for any advice.I am about to embark on the CELTA course after working in pre 5 and elementary for 20 years, (in the U.K) , promoting language and literacy.I am a pedagog with an HNC certificate in Child Development and Early Years Education.I speak 5 additional languages and have taught voluntarily adult literacy ( in another language). My greatest concern is that not a having a degree with only CELTA, from what I understand, doesn't bode well on the job front. I plan to relocate to Turkey ( Adana / Gaziantep) next year for the academic year 2015.

It is really causing me concern.Thank you in advance , as any advice is greatly appreciated Smile
philotaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you could easily find a job with your experience and qualifications. Your only problem is going to be working legally, since as far as I know an undergraduate degree is a basic requirement of getting a work permit as a teacher.

Are you married to a Turk? This could make things much easier for you. You will qualify for a two-year residence permit and can apply for citizenship after 3 years. In the mean time you could teach on a private basis or just find an unscrupulous employer (I'm sure there are plenty of them in Antep) who is willing to hire you without a work permit.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your feedback , I really appreciate it Smile I'm separated though not legally divorced in Turkey yet ....,,Really don't know what I'm going to do :/ thank you so much again.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philotaster wrote:
It sounds to me like you could easily find a job with your experience and qualifications. Your only problem is going to be working legally, since as far as I know an undergraduate degree is a basic requirement of getting a work permit as a teacher.

Are you married to a Turk? This could make things much easier for you. You will qualify for a two-year residence permit and can apply for citizenship after 3 years. In the mean time you could teach on a private basis or just find an unscrupulous employer (I'm sure there are plenty of them in Antep) who is willing to hire you without a work permit.

Hi again , philotaster..............I took some time to ponder what you had said.I am not divorced from my Turkish husband, and he is in the U.K anyway. Isn't it dangerous to work illegally in terms of deportment? I was also wondering , without a work permit , if I chose to take a chance how would residency work out as I am with another partner and awaiting divorce ? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make sense of which route to take , and I really don't know how things work....Thank you again Smile Any information you have is very greatly received.....One more question, sorry Sad , ....Do you think any establishment would be prepared to give someone as experienced as myself the opportunity on a trial basis in order for me to prove my value , inspite of the fact I don't possess a degree? I would reall be looking in Antep or Adana or surrounding areas......even primary schools? So sorry Smile
philotaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is of course a risk when working illegally. I don't think they would deport you, but they would fine you and your employer. I've never heard of this happening, even to people who (needlessly and irresponsibly) worked illegally here for decades. Having had a work permit for three years or so, I never once had to actually use it or show it to anyone.

You'll likely have to get a long-term tourist visa and renew it every 6 months or so (the requirements for this have changed very recently). In terms of your partner, it will only really make a difference if you're married and they're Turkish.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your advice Smile ......Lots to think about and consider ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: