Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sakkara School, Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freelydone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Sakkara School, Cairo Reply with quote

Hiya,

I am in the process of accepting a teaching job at Sakkara School in Cairo and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with them?

I've found some posts on the school but nothing within the past year, so thought I'd ask around. I'm aware they have a high turnover, but I am presuming that is due to the recent social upheaval in which I understand a lot of English teachers had to/wanted to leave.

Any advice/thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks (:
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have always had a high turnover... for many years. Lots of teachers have used it as a foot in the door to teaching in Cairo. So keep your expectations low... and be sure that they are getting you a legitimate work visa. These are not times to be working illegally on a tourist visa.

VS
freelydone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they've assured me that they're providing me with a work visa, thank you!
MaadiTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I posted this on another Sakkara thread further down. I worked there 2012/13. Please see below and feel free to message me with any more questions Smile

I worked at Sakkara last year and thought I would share my experiences as the reviews online are from a few years back. They're currently advertising again so anyone thinking of applying might find this useful (sorry in advance for the long post!).

This was my first teaching job. I'd read the mixed reviews online and they do pretty much convey an accurate picture of the school. Essentially, I got what I expected: nothing better, nothing worse.

Firstly, about Egypt itself: I adore Egypt but it is different now since/during the revolution. You will be in Maadi, which is a posh suburb and so rarely gets affected by political events, but generally Cairo isn’t as safe as it was. However, I never felt any less safe than in any other big city. The harassment is worse for sure, and if you’re not familiar with the Middle East in this respect, be wary when talking to men and in how you conduct yourself.

As to the school, to address the application questions: a picture is totally standard for the Middle East. I had a phone interview but it was more of a formality. The foreign teachers last year were a mixture of American, British, Canadian and New Zealand.

The school won’t get you a work visa. It is always promised in the job advert (I believed them!) but they will simply renew your tourist visa. I had no problems, but some of the girls got asked at the airport why they had been in Egypt so long. You get paid cash in hand (Egyptian pounds) - over the course of last year, the value dropped so quickly which meant exchanging money was painful, especially as there’s a general shortage of hard currency in Egypt at the moment. Don’t give them your diploma/degree, otherwise they’ll hold the certificates ransom all year.

However, what is good about the school, on the logistics side, is that they do always pay you on time and don’t mess you around when it comes to salary. All new teachers are paid the same, so the ‘expected salary’ on the application is not really relevant. If you’re just looking to spend what you earn, you can live a comfortable (if not excessive) expat lifestyle on this salary - for example, you can eat out every day, have a cleaner, etc, but probably can’t shop til you drop whenever you feel like it and any travel has to be on a bit of a budget. Accommodation is paid for and is generally fine (again, keeping in mind this is Egypt). Airfare is refunded in January.

The school itself: classes are between 25 and 30 and students are pretty crammed in, which doesn’t create a great working atmosphere, particularly at the start and end of the year when it’s very hot (there’s no air con). There is no technology and the three computers/printers in the staff room work intermittently. Definitely bring your own computer otherwise you’ll be stuck. Egyptian staff are generally friendly (like everywhere, some people work hard, others don't) and it really helps to be able to speak a bit of Arabic as not everyone speaks English. The supervisor system is changing slightly for next year and there should be a foreign returning teacher in charge so that will hopefully improve things.

Otherwise, you’re pretty much left to your own devices. As others have said, the big advantage of this is you get to experiment with various teaching methods and you can teach, to a degree, what you like. I disagree that the workload is tough: you will have lots of break time during the day and I was usually able to do everything in school time, maybe a couple of hours a week at home.

It can be incredibly frustrating at times as things will be sprung on you or changed at the last second, particularly around exams/holiday time. The school is essentially run as a business, and so students are passed every year even when they shouldn’t be. This means you will have students whose English levels range (depending on their age) from elementary to fluent (no exaggeration). There is no streaming or acknowledgement of students who have special needs, and so classroom management can be difficult. The main problem with discipline, however, is a serious lack of consequences. Students will never, ever be expelled (even when some of mine had done things which they should have been expelled for) - the most they get is a day’s suspension. By the time they’re a bit older, students know this and so some simply act up the entire time and there’s no real way of managing it.

Working in Egypt, and specifically at Sakkara, is hard work. Most days felt like an uphill struggle. Added to that the fact that you will (unavoidably) get sick, and the political situation, everything can become quite volatile and over-dramatic. It definitely doesn’t feel like a professional workplace. It’s not all awful though, and it hasn't put me off teaching at all. If you’re looking for the chance to explore Egypt (you can get away with being a shockingly bad teacher if you want to - no one’s ever been sacked…), or want the first step on the teaching/EFL ladder, it’s a great starting point. I wouldn’t do it again for another year, but I definitely don’t regret it either. And, cheesey as it sounds, it’s the students who make it worth it in the end. A few exceptions aside, it’s so rewarding to see them improve over the year. Egypt itself has a quality unlike anywhere else I’ve been - either you feel its magic or you don’t (most people do!) - and it makes you a stronger person when you come out the other side!
freelydone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great, so much information, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: