Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to find jobs in the UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trebek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Best place to find jobs in the UAE Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a certified public school teacher from the USA with three years overseas teaching experience in China.

I want to move to the UAE and teach. Where are some of the websites that advertise teaching jobs in the UAE? I've tried "Teachaway" but that's the only decent site I've found so far. I will be in the UAE for the next 9 days and would like to interview while I'm here. Thanks in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For international schools, Teach Away is the main source for recruitment in the UAE; however, to a lesser extent, there's Footprints Recruiting and Seek Teachers. Another option is to check out the websites of international schools individually for openings in your particular subject, but that's not the most efficient way to job hunt.

Be aware the majority of teaching jobs are obtained while outside the UAE through recruiting fairs in the US, UK, and Canada, and via the recruiters' websites. So even if you're able to interview while you're in the UAE, you'll likely have to head back to the US for the visa process if offered a position.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go around knocking on doors - which is not the normal way things are done in this part of the world - and you get any offers, make sure to check the place out carefully before accepting (here and through The Google)... and most important, make sure that they are offering you a foreign hire contract with all expat benefits. Living costs are VERY high so you need the provided furnished housing and flights..

VS
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, don't forget...housing is 12 months UPFRONT!

Why? Because they can...
SirAristede

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a certified teacher as well. While I found my position through Teacher Port, my school was also listed with Search Associates. I'd suggest signing up with Search Associates or International School Services (ISS). Your mileage may vary...
Trebek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent input folks, it looks like Ill have more luck from the USA which is fine, I just flew here on my way home from China just to see what the UAE is like. Nice place to live for certain.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice place but expensive. I am on my second year but took an upgraded position in management of a school. Living in the UAE is like living in Chicago or New York as far as rent. Dubai lifted the rent caps, so everyone moved to Sharjah and Ajman, but now the rents are soaring in Sharjah and Ajman, supply/demand.

I pay around $1,200 USD per month for a 3 bedroom apartment near the Sharjah Corniche but now this same apartment goes for around $1,600 to $1,800 per month. Doesn't seem much but considering most wages aren't increasing by the same rate, really creates issues.

You need to earn around 20,000 AED per month plus if you have a family to live comfortably. If you make less you will be living in a crappy area in Sharjah or Ajman. People are even moving to Al Ain and Ras Al Khaimah and driving to avoid the high rents in and around Dubai.

Traffic is horrible between Dubai, Sharjah, and Ajman now. If you are on the wrong way, meaning mornings to Dubai and evenings towards Sharjah and Ajman, forget it. You will be in traffic for about 2 hours to go 10 km. Utility rates have doubled, I paid around 600 AED per month and now pay 1,200 AED without any explanation.

Saudi is much cheaper and you can save money.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdobbs98 wrote:
I pay around $1,200 USD per month for a 3 bedroom apartment near the Sharjah Corniche but now this same apartment goes for around $1,600 to $1,800 per month. Doesn't seem much but considering most wages aren't increasing by the same rate, really creates issues.

You need to earn around 20,000 AED per month plus if you have a family to live comfortably.

Actually, by applying for positions while outside the UAE, the OP, a licensed teacher, should only focus on those reputable employers that offer a rich benefit package---one that covers accommodation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: