Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for new location to move in Mexico...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Looking for new location to move in Mexico... Reply with quote

The heat in our location has been bothering my husband a great deal. He can't deal with it anymore. So, I'm looking for somewhere in Mexico that is as always safe but not the most expensive. This move will be major. We live over by Cancun now and we're looking into moving to a place that has both hot and cold weather. Some mild weather sometimes would be nice. The only place my husband is dead set against living is Mexico City for his own reasons. And my husband has requested we move somewhere in the Baja California area of Mexico if at all possible.

I work on-line so I can live anywhere as long as there is a decent internet signal. I know not all the places listed are in Baja California. We like being around the ocean but its not a must. I would like plenty of food and shopping available. My husband likes to be around tourist type locations for his work. We do like to eat out, going to the movies and having an airport around if possible. These are the places we are seriously checking into:

- la paz
- roserito
- Cabo
- Guadalajara

QUESTIONS...

- Does anyone know what the rent runs in these places to live in the cheapest safest parts?

- How is internet coverage?

- How is the weather? Does it have crazy hot weather?

- Is food crazy expensive?

- Is there anywhere else in Baja California or Bir Sur Baja California I should be checking out?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How touristed does the place have to be? I’m thinking Querétaro.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
How touristed does the place have to be? I’m thinking Querétaro.

I can't really give a simple answer to that. My husband has his opinions about that. What is the weather like in your opinion? Does it get crazy hot there? And in your experience what does the rent run for an apartment or house semi furnished in a safe but cheap area? Any information is helpful.

I'm putting Querétaro on my list which now only has Cabos, Roserito which I really don't like and Guadalajara. The other places got quickly removed because of the extreme heat or high rent.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Puebla? Not too expensive and safe. Or maybe a smaller city like Queretaro, Guanajuato or Leon.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
What about Puebla? Not too expensive and safe. Or maybe a smaller city like Queretaro, Guanajuato or Leon.

My husband was talking about Guanajuto. He has some family from there. I'm still researching it. I haven't thought about Leon.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, unless you were going for a really fabulous English teaching job (not the case as you said you're working online) let the non-English teaching spouse choose the location for work. Because there are English teaching jobs everywhere--or you can invent one with private lessons, but there's often not work for the other person in many locations. And if one is unhappy and restless, there will soon be problems...
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for new location to move in Mexico... Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
The heat in our location has been bothering my husband a great deal. He can't deal with it anymore. So, I'm looking for somewhere in Mexico that is as always safe but not the most expensive. This move will be major. We live over by Cancun now and we're looking into moving to a place that has both hot and cold weather. Some mild weather sometimes would be nice. The only place my husband is dead set against living is Mexico City for his own reasons. And my husband has requested we move somewhere in the Baja California area of Mexico if at all possible.

I work on-line so I can live anywhere as long as there is a decent internet signal. I know not all the places listed are in Baja California. We like being around the ocean but its not a must. I would like plenty of food and shopping available. My husband likes to be around tourist type locations for his work. We do like to eat out, going to the movies and having an airport around if possible. These are the places we are seriously checking into:

- la paz
- roserito
- Cabo
- Guadalajara

QUESTIONS...

- Does anyone know what the rent runs in these places to live in the cheapest safest parts?

- How is internet coverage?

- How is the weather? Does it have crazy hot weather?

- Is food crazy expensive?

- Is there anywhere else in Baja California or Bir Sur Baja California I should be checking out?

Thanks in advance

I love Morelia having lived there, IMO it has the best weather in the world about 75 F year round with slightly cooler winters and some rain in the winter. Growing up we traveled (camped) up and down Baja and the Pacific coast of the mainland and two cities that come to mind are Hermosillo and Guaymas. Nobody talks much about Guaymas but it's a nice old small city.
Higo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inotu, did you move yet? Personally, I think anywhere on Baja California Sur falls into the "too hot" category. There is very little change of seasons. Pretty much just hot and dry and a short period of very warm and wet. And when it is hot - it is crazy hot. Not a breath of wind, baking in the desert, hot. Rosarito is more temperate but not as cheap.

I second that GDL area would be a good choice. Lots of infrastructure and stuff to do, but some smaller areas around the city to live in.

Not sure about Puebla, never been, but have read many positive things. Ditty with QTO, GTO and Leon (too lazy to type them out Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: