Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private lessons in Moscow??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thailandreb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Private lessons in Moscow?? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm just starting my new contract (and my second year in Moscow) and, what do you know? I am being given no hours at all!

I would really like to get into teaching private lessons. I had a few private students last year from word-of-mouth, but if anyone knows any agencies or any other information about how to get more private students, please feel free to share the wisdom. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try redtape.ru or expat.ru.

Enjoy the lack of hours while you can, though... Smile
teacher X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although as soon as your post on expat.ru prepare your inbox for an absolute tsunami of spam mail.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But, it is still better than nothing.

Also, be prepared for the odd, random loony student, and those who want to drive the fee down to a few hundred rubles.
teacher X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahaha. I usually state on my ad where I live. I then mainly get emails from people living on the very opposite side of Moscow. Usually it's to teach their kid and they want me to do it for 500pyb per hour.

They also tend to live outside Moscow, so they'll always offer to "Send the driver" to pick me up once I've reached the last station (Oddly, it is almost always Mitino)

I'm sorry, but if you can afford a driver, you can afford to pay more than 500pyb per hour.

On the rare occasion when I don't instantly ignore such an email I will send my counter offer. The counter offer is very reasonable considering the 2 hours of travelling I would need to include. Alas, they always want it obscenely cheap.
Of course, how greedy of me, I should totally work for some Gazprom exec for 200pyb per hour.
thailandreb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information!

I've also found native speakers club and vashrepetitors, already have a few privates. Still none from my contract!

I was messed with a lot last year when under the regular contract, so I went with hourly this year, thinking it would get me more money while having to cover less classes. But with hourly contract, you only get paid if you teach. So guess what? My first week I only got ONE hour from my new contract (last year I never got less than 20). Long live privates!
teacher X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the start of the academic year and half the students are still clinging to their dachas, desperate not to return to the real world.
Schools are usually quiet for the first couple of weeks, so what you're saying seems perfectly normal to me.

Last September I had barely any classes until the end of the month when it kicked off properly.

Obviously, you're also now on an hourly contract, so it makes sense for the school to fill their contracted teacher's hours up first and come to you last with the left overs.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are still better off with privates, as irregular as the cancellations can be. Few teachers would bother with schools after the first year. It is only the visa regulations that keep them tied to the Maccers. If you can manage to get a visa, and not have to fulfill any teaching obligations, then so much the better for your earnings.
thailandreb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ teacher x... yeah I know that, but the problem I have is that when signing my new contract, I wanted to come back in late September or October, but they said they needed me here by 1 September, and that way I would get nice blocks of classes. Well, I come back by 1 September and they have nothing for me (and are giving all their blocks to the newbies), which is quite maddening. I am only back so early because they told me to!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds sadly familiar. Easy to point out after the fact, but usually not a good idea to put yourself out for schools in Moscow. What they say is absolutely vital one week, is largely forgotten the next. Fluffy ideas, with woolly expression, is how most so-called managers operate.

Always suit yourself first. In this case, it now means blocking your own classes, and not being available for the school admin when they need you. But don't tell this in advance, as you might be inclined to, so as to help them plan. Just let them potter about with their classing, and when they ask you to take a class that clashes with your privates, do not refuse outright. Tell them you'll have to get back to them after you try to re-arrange your schedule to fit everything in. And just don't follow that up. They'll forget too, or find someone else. No hard feelings on anyone's side then.

'Tis the way of things with McSchools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: