Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intenational Education Centre (IEC) Dzerzhinskiy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Intenational Education Centre (IEC) Dzerzhinskiy Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this school? worked there? experiences?
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the school, but the name Dzerzhinsk rings a bell. Read the pollution part of this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzerzhinsk,_Russia#Pollution before going.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: or is it maybe Dherzhinsky south of Moscow? Reply with quote

If so it is just across the MKAD ringroad from the Kapotnya oil refinery area which is notorious for being one of most polluted and undesirable parts of the capital!!I lived a few kms north of it for a while and when the wind was from the south you could smell the burners....and the site of the compound from a distance was pretty hideous!
Whichever one it is,you really don't want to go to either of them..there are plenty of other places to choose from!
monroe803

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithrn1983 wrote:
I'm not sure about the school, but the name Dzerzhinsk rings a bell. Read the pollution part of this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzerzhinsk,_Russia#Pollution before going.

A cursory glance at this article would show it's a totally different city. Dzerzhinskiy is near the refinery just outside the ringroad however, and I'm sure there's pollution though I've never noticed any smells.

I've worked at the school for six months and like it. Management has been the biggest plus, they're fair and supportive and have helped me out numerous times. And I'm content with living in the suburbs. I'm not sure I'll stay here another year, but it's been a great job.
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: dzerzhinsky..... Reply with quote

damage to peoples health in such areas tends to be long-term and shows-up later!Hope they paid you well for the experience-it would be interesting to hear more about it......Thanks.
monroe803

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I can't tell where in Moscow it isn't polluted, so if there's a super clean modern part outside of the centre, I'm just ignorant of it.

Pay has been good. I had three offers coming here because I have prior experience and my pay is better than I made in the states, so I'm satisfied with that. And it's not polluted enough here to make me feel I've made a deal with the devil.

It takes 45 minutes to an hour to get into Moscow, I would say that's my chief complaint. The tradeoff is that I can walk to work and the store and the parks if the weather is ever nice Smile
rrosloniec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: International Educational Centre - Dzerzhenskiy, Russia Reply with quote

I spent 3 amazing years at the school, 2012-2013, and feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with them.

The administration, especially the director, took me in as a member of a family from the start. I could always count on the administration to help me in all aspects of my Russian experience from teaching to paying my internet bill.

The school went above and beyond fulfilling their side of the contract; they were the most generous school I have ever worked for - not only financially. Staff birthdays were never taken lightly and school parties were anything but routine.

I wholeheartedly recommend taking advantage of an opportunity to work with IEC.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three amazing years, packed into 2012-2013?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time becomes relative, Cole, when your school director makes you feel like you are one of the family. This welcoming demeanour is a well-known trait, characteristic not only of Muscovites generally, but EFL school owners particularly.

I think I would love to take advantage of an opportunity to work with this school.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I'm brushing up my cv this very moment. Smog, shmog.
linn78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody has some more info about this school. can't seem to find much about it online, but their website looks legit.

Also, I was wondering how you all go about your due diligence when researching a smaller school. what steps do you take?
teacher X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
Three amazing years, packed into 2012-2013?

The school is so awesome that time and reality actually distorts. I myself have seen this school in visions. The school is made from a psycho-reactive material which continuously changes colour and shape, reflecting the emotions and needs of its inhabitants. It features 6 great towers which reach up into the glimmering sky. Don't even get me started on the cinnamon flavoured administrators. To say that they make you feel at home would be an understatement.

I would love to join this school myself, but unfortunately I am still stuck in Narnia and can't make the interview.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: it's so unreal! Reply with quote

The reality is that you will actually be teaching in Kapotnya which is opposite Dherzhinsky and notorious as probably the most polluted residential zone of Moscow, due to the oil refinery etc which is also situated in the same area!!Life expectancy there is probably the lowest in Moscow region so at least you will have the advantage of leaving this life earlier and enjoying the astral plains,which is what our friend Teacher X is really describing?
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linn78 wrote:
Just wondering if anybody has some more info about this school. can't seem to find much about it online, but their website looks legit.

Also, I was wondering how you all go about your due diligence when researching a smaller school. what steps do you take?

There is a limited amount you can do. My suggestion is to exchange emails with the school, asking them questions about the timetable, accommodation etc and examine the replies carefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: