Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New visa restrictions for Americans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wojbrian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delp, that is totally true, however, the school should know what it's doing more then someone fresh in the country.
I did inform them when I got hired that I needed a work permit. They told me that it was not required.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man....i don't know if i just got lucky or what, but i didn't have any of these problems getting a residency card.

I showed up, no job, no nothing. Got an apartment, got a job, PESEL, NIP, business bank account, work "promise" from my employer, bank statements showing i had cash to fall back on, a few other random things, and in about 7 months, I had my residency card, done deal. no work permit, no work visa, just me and my luggage.

now, at the time, it was just before the border patrol came to an end so i was able to run into Germany, drink a beer, come back and get a fresh stamp but from what i'm reading on here lately, people are still hopping over to Ukraine and doing the same.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just after that. I think the laws changed about that time.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that i think about it, the following year, another American showed up at my school, same scenario, and he got his KP just the same. no hassle. he applied just a few days before the 90 day deadline and they told him that because he has applied, his travel visa will remain valid. a few months later, he had his KP.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, not like I'm there to worry about it! Smile
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you've just got to make sure you find a decent school that has their act together...sadly there seem to be a number of schools out there that don't!

What's the best time of the year to find a job in poland by going there? All-year round?

Furthermore, is it reasonable to try to find a job and have everything sorted and start working after 30 days once you find a job and have your residency permit sorted?

All these permits and visas are so confusing, is there anywhere all this is written down? Especially regarding doing it from within the country?

Sadly, things in Poland seem a bit more complicated than in Asia. Actually, I take that back, but at least you don't get banned/deported from all of Asia if you somehow mess things up Wink
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
Actually, I take that back, but at least you don't get banned/deported from all of Asia if you somehow mess things up Wink

You don't get deported/banned from Poland unless you don't have a work permit, which your school should get for you. Or, if you don't have one for whatever reason and can't get a residency card and you overstay your Schengen limit and get caught at an airport or elsewhere, it's sayonara boysan.

It's a no brainer. Just follow the rules, and the rules for non EU citizens-and I'm one-have been posted here ad nauseum.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Just out of interest. Has it become more difficult for Poles to go to or work in the States in recent years?

That aside, I think there is a level of bureaucracy that 'westerners' Wink have to get used to here and one of the problems, as DD has pointed, out is that you get different answers from different people. Years ago I had my passport stolen and it took months to get a police report from Warsaw by which time my visa had expired. All along the woman in Plac Wolnosci had been telling me; 'It's Ok. You can stay over as it's a special case.' Went there after my passport had arrived and was told I was now working in Poland illegally and even got pulled up at the airport. There was another issue as well as she'd told me I could get my visa renewed in Poland, which was clearly wrong as it had expired by the time I left.

I've had the same confusing and conflicting experiences with banks. I let the missus do it all now and although it pains me to say it Smile life's a lot simpler because she can sort out the BS and knows the system far better than I.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
man....i don't know if i just got lucky or what, but i didn't have any of these problems getting a residency card.

I showed up, no job, no nothing. Got an apartment, got a job, PESEL, NIP, business bank account, work "promise" from my employer, bank statements showing i had cash to fall back on, a few other random things, and in about 7 months, I had my residency card, done deal. no work permit, no work visa, just me and my luggage.

Dynow, you're the only American I know who claims to not have needed a work permit. Are you absolutely certain your school didn't take out a work permit for you? The work permit is just a piece of paper with 'zezwolenia na prace' written on it. Maybe it was in the stack of papers you gave immigration.

Another possibility is that your school was ministry of education accredited. You don't need a work permit to work for an accredited school.

Or it could just be that Wroclaw immigration doesn't (or didn't) require work permits. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Polish bureaucracy is consistently inconsistent.
Grzes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Best chance of finding a TEFL job in Poland Reply with quote

Sorry if this is repetitive, but as this thread has been a bit digressive, I'd like to confirm a few things.

I'm an American and a TEFL newbie. For various reasons (mostly personal, I admit), I have my heart set on Poland. As far I understand, the plan of action that gives me the best chance of finding a job in Poland is:

1 - Contact schools in advance, when possible
2 - Go to Poland (well in advance of when I hope to start working) and pound the pavement
3 - Find an employer who will acquire a work permit for me (If I get two part-time jobs, do I need two work permits?)
4 - Work permit in hand, apply for a residence permit, hoping to get a bureaucrat on his good day

All the while going to Ukraine every 90 days, if necessary, until I've applied for a residence permit.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback! Bardzo dziekuje!
Louisdf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best chance of finding a TEFL job in Poland Reply with quote

Grzes wrote:
Sorry if this is repetitive, but as this thread has been a bit digressive, I'd like to confirm a few things.

I'm an American and a TEFL newbie. For various reasons (mostly personal, I admit), I have my heart set on Poland. As far I understand, the plan of action that gives me the best chance of finding a job in Poland is:

1 - Contact schools in advance, when possible
2 - Go to Poland (well in advance of when I hope to start working) and pound the pavement
3 - Find an employer who will acquire a work permit for me (If I get two part-time jobs, do I need two work permits?)
4 - Work permit in hand, apply for a residence permit, hoping to get a bureaucrat on his good day

All the while going to Ukraine every 90 days, if necessary, until I've applied for a residence permit.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback! Bardzo dziekuje!

You can only spend a maximum of 90 days in every 180 day period in the schengen zone. Just leaving the schengen zone and coming back again doesn't restart the clock.
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/865949-schengen-what-does-90-days-180-days-really-mean.html
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/europe-western-europe/topics/overstaying-schengen-visa-the-facts
Grzes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can only spend a maximum of 90 days in every 180 day period in the schengen zone. Just leaving the schengen zone and coming back again doesn't restart the clock.

Granted, but that's not the part I'm worried about... I know about the 90/180 rule, but I also know many people who've made several successive 'visa runs' without any problems. Come to think of it, except for Germany, I don't think any EU border policeman has ever checked the dates on my previous stamps.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grzes wrote:
Quote:

Granted, but that's not the part I'm worried about... I know about the 90/180 rule, but I also know many people who've made several successive 'visa runs' without any problems. Come to think of it, except for Germany, I don't think any EU border policeman has ever checked the dates on my previous stamps.
You do realise that in reality, border controls can be conducted *anywhere* in Schengen, not only on the external border? When Schengen was started, the idea was that there are no longer physical checkpoints, but rather moving checkpoints. That means that you can be checked on the streets of Krakow for border control purposes, and if your paperwork isn't in order, you'll have problems.
Grzes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I 'do realise' that I have a degree in European studies, know the details of the Schengen agreement quite well, and know that what you describe never happens.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it takes is one lost night out on the voddy with local mates, an unexpected trip to the drunk tank and then you're up the creek.

I can think of several expat mates who have had the pleasure of an unplanned night in the '200 groszy club'.

And way back when in Bydgoszcz, I did get pulled on the street and did have my ID checked.

Regarding work, there's plenty around if you want and/ or are qualified to teach YL. There's also work if you are the 'I'll take anything' kinda guy and don't mind travelling about a bit and doing split shifts. However, many employers take the pish and quite a few make big promises and then don't come up with the promised block of work, leaving you high and dry with just an hour here and there. So, when you are in the game take the first big block you get offered and build your privates around it. Outside Warsaw the rate is a Zloty/minute. I'm working part-time and enjoying having decent students again. I don't go out and don't buy owt, so life is cheap.

The bureaucracy is a total shag, so get used to it. Rules seem to change quite frequently too adding to the chaos. Poland does not make it easy for foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: