Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certs, degrees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coratheexplorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Certs, degrees Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get hired in Turkey if you don't have a college degree? (Not asking for myself but for a friend who is engaged to a lovely Turkish woman)
philotaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly get hired, but you can't get a permit to work as an english teacher.
delal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: However Reply with quote

However I know of at least two foreign teachers who don't have the right qualifications for EFL-who are actually great teachers-who are registered as office staff.
One doesn't have a degree
Both have acquired Turkish nationality
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: However Reply with quote

delal wrote:
However I know of at least two foreign teachers who don't have the right qualifications for EFL-who are actually great teachers-who are registered as office staff.
One doesn't have a degree
Both have acquired Turkish nationality

Hi delal,

How does that affect them being paid as teachers ? ....Or are they paid as teachers ? I dont have a degree , however I have 20 years teaching experience in per five and elemetary schools (U.K) and worked with various curricula, however , I only possess a Higher National Certificate in Child Development and Education ( Childhood Studies ) and I am about to , hopefully , begin CELTA. I often wonder how this will affect my job prospects...It really concerns me , as i want to relocate to Gaziantep.
delal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Doesn't Reply with quote

It hasn't affected their wages/foreigner benefits
However, both were in the right place at the time
Just saying that it is within the realms of possibility
As for the first degree, I also know of two with nursing qualifications and online TEFLs who are in full-time employment in a K-12-one of them is a great teacher, the other, well...
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again.Sounds slightly more positive.At least to know it is possible.Even if i volunteered to allow them to see my value.... I think first to submit my C.V , would be the best start, as I hope they would be more likely to give me an opportunity to prove myself if they had the full picture of my skills and experiences....Degrees clearly aren't everything....That's my experience , even in the U.K. I really appreciate your feedback.Take care.
delal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Don't volunteer! Reply with quote

Hey-don't volunteer as it's not part of the culture and they will rub their hands with glee at the idea of a free worker as private schools are first and foremost businesses! They should rather end up feeling lucky to have the chance to employ you with all your teaching experience, especially as you are a foreigner willing to work outside Istanbul (well except for Izmir, Antalya and Alanya maybe)
Everything here has a value and negotiating everything is the way forward-the more expensive/rare something is, the more people want and value it.
Just a question though-are you actually Turkish? (Selma orhan) That would change matters as school owners want "genuıne" foreigners to put in their shop window and attract/keep parents
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, lol! .....That's my pseudonym Smile I'm was born and brought up in the U.K. ( by Italian parent's !) I am converstional and literate in 5 additional languages as a result of my life experiences! Your advice has been great., as I am new to all this.I know I keep saying it , but I really do appreciate it Smile I now understand what you mean about the whole negotiation thing.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start CELTA in October until April.When do you think I should put my C.V out there for the perusal of potential employers ? Should I do this before I complete CELTA, and state that I would be currently studying, or would it be too late for recruitment purposes to wait until I, hopefully,have gained my certificate ? It would be fabulous to be commencing the next academic year Gaziantep. Sorry for all the questions Sad .......Should I mention that I have worked with various curricula , including introducing the principles of various international curricula to my colleagues within my establishment, or should I leave that out ( can you tell I'm currently putting together a new updated C.V! I want to raise their awareness of my breadth of skills and experience , but don't if anything like that would help or hinder my success in securing a position.I'm trying to find out what the various curricula are in the various schools to familiarise myself with the principles.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* don't know........sorry missed a word out :/
delal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Re your CV, well, make your self sound experienced of course
Call me cynical, but just so long as you are a live, native English speaker with some kind of qualification they can use to get you a work permit (though not always, see above), you're likely to get a job in a K-12
As for ideas about contributing to curriculum development, you will probably end up doing the skills work for a Cambridge EFL exam as, by law, the main English teacher for each year group has to be Turkish and there's a set national curriculum
Re Gaziantep, I'm sure you good reasons, and I have only been there once, but I suggest you consider comments made on this forum re schools there as they don't appear to be very positive.
Then again, there may be teachers who are happy there who don't post on this forum/feel the need to vent publically Wink
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Delal,

Thank you for your advice, l'll take onboard everything you said.I am experienced , and though I would embrace any opportunity provided, my "forte" is definitely within K -12 as that was my original area of study. I do appreciate the comments that have been made re Gaziantep experiences of others, however , I feel I want to give it a " go " , as my partner and I would prefer to be near family. We shall see, ...... need to pass my CELTA first . Thank you again for your advice as it is really helping make sense of where I can go from where I am currently ....Take care Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

selmaorhan wrote:
I am experienced , and though I would embrace any opportunity provided, my "forte" is definitely within K -12 as that was my original area of study.

A couple of points:

-- Consider creating two CVs: one as an experienced k-12 teacher; the other for entry-level EFL positions (apply after you complete the CELTA).

-- If you end working illegally (due to your lack of degree), keep in mind you will have zero legal protection if your employer decides to pull any fast ones on you.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nomad soul,

Thank you for your advice....I had never considered two C.V's , however, it makes sense. If CELTA finishes in April, would that be enough time to send my C.V for the commencement of the academic year 2015? Sorry, if that sounds like a nonsensical question, it's just that i'm not sure how the system works in Turkey in private schools etc ... Thanks in advance
delal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: february Reply with quote

Hi
Schools start hiring around Feb time, though that may change given the latest changes to the work permit applications
Check with the Turkish consulate in your country to see what you and a school would need to do to apply for a work permit and then you might get an idea of how much waiting time would be involved before you could start working legally
Remember-you can get deported-taken straight to the airport-and fined and banned from reentering for years if you are unlucky enough to get caught/be reported for working illegally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: