Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

workingvwith children

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam#6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: workingvwith children Reply with quote

Hi
I have been advised to post on this forum as I may get help here.
I have a MA Tesol but only 2 years full time post MA esol experience at 2 different universities. Previously I acquired a PostGraduate Dip in Esol and with that worked 2 years, one of which at university.
Since returning to the UK to raise a family I have worked in a non teaching education role in local gov but also part-time as an esol lecturer at my local FE college. I have done this for 10 years.
My wife has a degree in sociology and psychology and a postgraduate diploma in esol and has worked with me at my local FE college.
Now we are thinking of returning abroad with our young daughter who will be soon be at A level age. We are hoping to get work together either at a school or uni but would need to place our daughter in school to do her IB or A level.
Would this be possible in Turkey or anywhere?
Thanks in advance
ossie39

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: working with children Reply with quote

You both have the qualifications and experience to teach in a private school or university. I see you as being in a strong position in teaching the IB especially for 16 - 19 year olds. This would include the long essay unit and TOk (theory of knowledge) unit. You can also teach middle years 13 to 16. If your daughter is in the fe stage she may also follow IB. Look at MEF in Istanbul and Izmir, Kultur Kolej and there are numerous others if you Google. Give Fatih Kolej a miss because they don't honour their contracts. Chances are you would do more skills work teaching. Good luck.
iam#6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It really helps. I will follow this thread with great interest.
iam#6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask.. Anywhere likely make contribution to school fees?
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general most schools should offer free schooling as a perk, if not go elsewhere. Schools are pretty desperate for NS teachers right now.
iam#6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
Ok, so where can two unassuming hardworking mid 40s types who are not really at this stage into night life etc but are looking for a quiet place to work and have their daughter fulfil her academic potential at school.. find a place to work.
Apologies in advance. Know very little about Turkey
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam#6 wrote:
...but are looking for a quiet place to work and have their daughter fulfil her academic potential at school...

Since your daughter's education is key, why not start with an Internet search for a list of IB/international schools in Turkey and use that as your guide as to where you and your wife might find work. From there, research the schools individually as well as potential employers in those cities and apply.
iam#6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will do that, but if anyone has direct experience of a good IB school and a good place of work nearby it would be appreciated
thanks
iam#6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but re posts are folk saying that someone with an esol background can teach IB in state schools in Turkey? Should I target teaching esol at uni, language school or teaching at an international school? Which would be more likely to provide financial support for my daughter's education?
ossie39

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: working with children Reply with quote

If you and your wife were both to work in language schools, I don't think it would be enough to pay your daughter's fees. 2,700 TL might be the par for experienced teachers outside of Istanbul, in a language school. That is net. 750 TL furnished apartment monthly- outside Istanbul.

International schools are possible but also private primary and secondary schools. They may not have the curriculum for your daughter but possibly it is good that your daughter does not go to the same school as you. State schools are not an option I feel. Private universities are possible but I feel private schools are your best bet. It is possible to create a role for you like IT manager or librarian or whatever. You must sell yourself. Sometimes there are strange rules but ways around them.

You must be degree educated and have a qualification to teach English. PGCE or TEFL or whatever. Some schools (primary or secondary) say you must have degree in English but others dont apply that rule. Trial and error.
delal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: State school? Reply with quote

First-is it true that state schools are now employing foreigners?
Second-to the OP-have a look at the fees for schools like MEF Istanbul/Izmir (not too pricey) and then you will have an idea of how much extra you will have to come up with month (not including hidden costs like school bus, books, uniform etc)
Working in a K-12 there's no way you will be able to afford an intl school for your daughter. Best to try very hard to get a job at an intl school and hopefully get free schooling thrown in as part of the package (watch out for hidden costs like school bus, books, uniform etc)
Sorry to rain on your parade but I'm a parent and have been through all of this (am actually going to have to leave Turkey because of the education issue in fact)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: workingvwith children Reply with quote

iam#6 wrote:
We are hoping to get work together either at a school or uni but would need to place our daughter in school to do her IB or A level.

Are you adamant that you and your wife work for the same employer? Given that you have an MA TESOL compared to her unrelated BA, it would make more sense for you to consider better-paying opportunities with employers (within the same city/town) other than those your wife would be qualified to apply to.
iam#6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all advice given.
It seems int schools are the way to go.
To NS..I don't need to work in the same workplace as my wife. She has an esol qualification as well so is hopeful of finding well paid work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: