Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PGCE - induction year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: PGCE - induction year Reply with quote

Hi

I just have a question about PGCEs and the HK NET progamme. For category 5 it says you need a PGCE, but in the UK after getting the PGCE to become fully qualified you need to do an induction year after completing the PGCE. Does anyone know do the HK government require this induction year or do you automatically qualify for category 5 having finished the 1 year PGCE course?

Thanks in advance!
toko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should contact the EDB to be sure. They are pedantic about certain things. Also, the HKQVAAC will assess your qualifications (separate than the EDB).

The teachers boost up their quals with a PGDE from HKU. I think they are able to go past the salary bar once they graduate, but I'm not sure how this differs from the PGCE.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Toko. Problem is I emailed them before with a few questions and nobody ever replied. This was about 6 weeks ago.

toko wrote:

The teachers boost up their quals with a PGDE from HKU. I think they are able to go past the salary bar once they graduate, but I'm not sure how this differs from the PGCE.

To be honest, I was thinking about this part time PGDE in HKU as a possible option if I got into the NET programme and decided I liked HK so much that I wanted to stay for some time - as you know without a PGCE your salary increases stop quite quickly.

In UK there are bursaries available for PGCEs but don't know if I really want to do the intensive PGCE course there in case I end up quitting it after as it seems quite hard going.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: