Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beirut and job security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revilo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Beirut and job security Reply with quote

I got a full time job at a nice uni in Beirut. My apt. is paid for and salary is 2/3 of what a Saudi salary is.

I've been traveling around so long, I'm tempted to stay here as long as I can. Which begs the question: "How long can I stay here?"

Thanks to ISIS, I don't have to compete against brilliant foreign teachers with doctorates. In fact, several teachers are leaving. I do have a large workload given the fact that this is Beirut and academic rigor is expected.

There are a lot of "what ifs?" especially in next year. Should I uproot again and go to Saudi for more money? If I do that, I'll miss the freedom I have here. On the other hand, the age window of 58 years is coming up real soon. I have less than a year to decide. Confused Question
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beirut and job security Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
I've been traveling around so long, I'm tempted to stay here as long as I can. Which begs the question: "How long can I stay here?"

Should I uproot again and go to Saudi for more money? If I do that, I'll miss the freedom I have here. On the other hand, the age window of 58 years is coming up real soon.

No one can answer that question unless they're psychic. If you decide to stay, you have to be realistic about living/working in an unstable and potentially volatile environment. When/if it's time to go, there's no room for negotiation or time for indecisiveness---you go. So always be prepared to quickly depart, if necessary. I've been there, done that... twice.

As for KSA, your age will be a factor as many employers won't hire past 58 unless you have some major skill or knowledge to offer. However, if you're open to other countries in the Gulf, I suggest hitting TESOL Arabia's job fair in Dubai this coming March.
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here on a tourist visa. Question Is that a bad thing? This place is waiting for other teachers to show up and I'm stuck here waiting to get paid and waiting for my 30 day tourist visa to get renewed. THEN I have to apply for a resident permit.

On the other hand, it's not so bad being "stuck" in Beirut.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I prefer the war-torn west side near Pigeon Rocks or are you "stuck" in the trendy faux-Paris east side?
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:

As far as you are outside the following areas, you are safe:
1. Southern suburbs of Beirut east and west of the airport road
2. 10km of the Syrian Border
3. Bekaa Valley east of the Baalbek El Hermel High Way to the Syrian border and down to En Nabi Chit
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I went to Baalbeck for a concert. It was unnerving to see Hezbollah and Leb Army checking for bombs & weapons, Shocked
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear revilo,

Might have been more unnerving if they hadn't been. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: