Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL market in Ukraine still alive?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucifer911

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: ESL market in Ukraine still alive? Reply with quote

With the ongoing instability in eastern Ukraine I was wondering if the ESL market / demand has decreased? I notice there are not too many active threads within this section which is disappointing.

Will this region be okay in another year or 2 after this situation settles down?
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESL market in Ukraine has certainly taken a hit, due to the economic instability and inflation resulting from the revolution/war. However, in Kyiv schools are still open, still offering classes, and, I would presume, still hiring. If you are interested in teaching in Ukraine, apply to one of the better schools in Kyiv. I imagine that some foreign teachers have left due to the situation, so your chances of being are hired are probably quite good.
veteraninukraine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: ESL market in Ukraine is suffering Reply with quote

With all that is going on in Ukraine (WAR!), the language schools HAVE NOT adjusted to attract new teachers! I mean they have not raised wages to cover the drastic fall of the local currency (grivnas). And to add insult to injury inflation has hit Ukraine very hard! The only good thing is many of the English language schools will take you even if you never taught before! You just need to sound like a native speaker. The problem is most of the private language schools cannot give visa support so they encourage you to overstay and work illegally. So be wary and ask direct questions because the Ukraine government has caught on to many ex-pats working illegally in Ukraine and they are cracking down on it!
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL market in Ukraine is suffering Reply with quote

veteraninukraine wrote:
With all that is going on in Ukraine (WAR!), the language schools HAVE NOT adjusted to attract new teachers! I mean they have not raised wages to cover the drastic fall of the local currency (grivnas). And to add insult to injury inflation has hit Ukraine very hard! The only good thing is many of the English language schools will take you even if you never taught before! You just need to sound like a native speaker. The problem is most of the private language schools cannot give visa support so they encourage you to overstay and work illegally. So be wary and ask direct questions because the Ukraine government has caught on to many ex-pats working illegally in Ukraine and they are cracking down on it!

This reads very suspiciously like you are desperate to discourage people from teaching here:)
However, most of what you say is true. The bit about the government cracking down, is not true.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these factors-how can any sane individual even consider Ukraine as a destination of choice?
1] WAR
2] Drastic decline in the local currency
3] Stagnant wages
4] Inability or refusal of employer to hire legally
Pretty clearly a place to be avoided......for now!
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
With these factors-how can any sane individual even consider Ukraine as a destination of choice?
1] WAR
2] Drastic decline in the local currency
3] Stagnant wages
4] Inability or refusal of employer to hire legally
Pretty clearly a place to be avoided......for now!

Yes, it is an odd destination fo a teacher who has no connection with Ukraine. I think the oddballs will be showing up.
The country is now in the middle of a Russian invasion, which will continue to push its way toward Odessa and beyond, if unchecked.
Once Putin has taken The east and south (and I deeply hope he's not successful), then there is no way we can be sure he won't turn his attention to the rest of Ukraine.
This war is still in the escalation phase (thanks to Russia) and we can expect a further deterioration. What the outcome will be, nobody knows. However, be under no delusion - Russia has invaded Ukraine and this country is now fighting for its survival.
ukraine12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The currency has lost over 70% of its value from the beginning of the year.
The cost of everything has gone up and will continue to go up in the shops.
The police are busting the more popular schools for teachers working illegally (The police showed up at all the AEC branches in every city two weeks ago).
You have the war going on and with Russia sending more troops into Ukraine the war is only going to get worse.

I would really think hard before you decide to come to Ukraine.

If you still want to come then I would suggest Lviv.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a fair number of Ukrainian students. The situation is scary, and hoping it will calm down very soon (but not so sure it will). Thinking of all you guys there, and sending good, safe wishes.
ukraine12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to bring attention to the heat shortage in Ukraine.

It's going to be a cold winter and the country doesn't have enough gas to get though the winter.

Some schools are going to school 6 days a week now and will have a two month winter break.

The plan now is to wait as long as they can to turn on the heat.

Whenever the heat does come on the output going into buildings will be less so expect it to be cool inside too.
Partizan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody thinking of going to Ukraine now to teach seriously needs their heads examined.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-is-on-the-brink-of-total-economic-collapse-2014-9

If your school pays you in € or US$ then you can think about it.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I haven't had hot water in my apartment for about 2 months now. Same with a lot of Kyiv. Our boxing mayor has promised it will be back on soon. Not holding my breath.
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out of hot water for July and August; luckily it came back on last week. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't go off again.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest reports say 29% of Kyiv still without hot water. My district included.
Heating will be a big issue this winter.
kyivkyiv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hot water was off for about 2.5 weeks from the end of September until early October, but it has been on 24/7 for the last few weeks.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on everywhere in Kyiv now, but some areas (mine) were without for ages. My heating's even on now - yay!

Back to the main topic...There aren't a lot of decent native speaker teachers in Kyiv these days, for obvious reasons - the war and the terrible salaries being offered. I get a lot of requests from students looking for good native speakers, so the demand is there. The supply isn't.

Even the British Council offer a measly $925 per month.
When you consider that you, (the teacher) are expected to work for some of the so called "good schools" for around $600 per month for something around 90 hours per month, it doesn't add up. Works out around $7 - $8 US per hour. Now think about how much your school charges for your services. It makes some street pimp look like an insanely generous philanthropist.
Corporate clients: $40 and up per hour of your time.
Classes of 12 students:Up to $90 per hour or so. (depends on the school, of course).
So, imagine you're teaching 10 hours in-company and 12 hours in the school per week. You're pulling in over $5k per month for the school. And one should remember - you're the cow, the burger and the guy/girl who makes and serves them up. Sure, you can deduct housing, maybe flights and various other expenses, depending on the level of legality of the school, but it's a hell of cut they're taking from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: