Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1randal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Banks Reply with quote

I know this is off topic (sorry in advance)

I am looking for a bank (Indonesian) that will allow you to pay bills in America over the internet and or pay for things on Amazon.com. I believe both of these require a routing #. I have Bii for work and they don't allow this so I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd create an account on the Indonesian expat forum and ask there as many of the members are very knowledgeable, and helpful, about things such as this.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a useful answer on here...
jaybet3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry p1randal, but i don't think there's any such bank in Indo that can do what you want. Most of them don't even have online services and still use bank books for accounts. You might try Chase bank in Jakarta. They might offer online services for a US Dollar account and an Indonesia rupiah account.

For bill paying in America, why not have a bank in the states? I have lived in Asia for over 10 years but still keep a Bank of America US dollar account.

When you say Amazon, I'm thinking you mean Amazon USA. Most transactions require a credit card. Getting a credit card from an Indonesian bank is pointless because your credit limit depends how much money you put down for collateral. So, while they call it a credit card it is really a DEBIT card. Indonesian banks don't do straight credit like America.

Anyway, it is unlikely Amazon will take a foreign credit card. Then, sometimes Amazon doesn't offer shipping to foreign countries depending on the vendor.
p1randal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an american bank but I only make money here in Indonesia. I hate doing wire transfers as you get screwed on both ends. I do have an occasional credit card bill in the USA and would like to use my rupiah to pay it without having to transfer money.

I don't think this is possible though it should be...
princesss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your bank account in Indonesia Cirrus or some such? If so, open a 2nd account at the same bank and send the 2nd card to a trusted person at home. Do rupiah transfers to that new account and ask your person at home to do a dollar withdrawal and place it on your credit card. That worked for me. You will only lose minimal amounts. It's cheaper than wires or WU.
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Banking Issues Reply with quote

Banking in Indonesia can be tricky if you are not an Indonesian citizen, although most banks are quite happy to open an account with you.

Personally, I would recommend you to purchase a pre=paid credit card from outside Indonesia, which you can pay-as you go, and use that to purchase stuff from Amazon, and other websites.

Another problem in Indonesia, and many countries is that many International banks ask for a large deposit to open an account, with the exception of Rabobank.

Check if these banks are only franchises, as the main overseas branches are not liable to protect the loss of any deposits, if the Indonesian branches fail or decide to save the bank through "bail- ins." (check Cyprus/Argentina).

It is much safer to bank with an Indonesian government or a private bank, and at the same time, perhaps keep your account open in your home country.
water rat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
sorry p1randal, but i don't think there's any such bank in Indo that can do what you want. Most of them don't even have online services and still use bank books for accounts. You might try Chase bank in Jakarta. They might offer online services for a US Dollar account and an Indonesia rupiah account.

I went to the Chase Manhattan Bank on Sudirman once years ago. They are not affiliated with the American bank of that name. Laughing

They just heard the name 'Chase Manhattan' somewhere and thought it would be a swank name for a bank!
memae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCA has a service called BCA Dollar that uses USD or SGD and it has e-banking so maybe that's a possibility?

i don't really know. i just sell rupiah to my parents when they visit and get them to deal with stuff back home. Lowest exchange rates ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: