Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring in the UK? A Cautionary Tale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

State Retirement Pension can be paid to those who live outside the UK as well as to residents of these Offshore Islands.
Size9Sandals

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wake up little Tefler! Anybody who leaves the UK for a few decades and then returns, expecting the taxpayer to pick up the bill for a pension, is seriously misguided.

Unless you've kept up your NI contributions, of course. It's really not at all expensive and looks good on your CV (seriously, folks!).

The alternative is to emigrate to North Korea, I guess. I'm sure they'll look after you there!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Teflers have difficulty with navigation. Hard concepts like "National Insurance Contributions" are too difficult for them.
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Advise Me? Reply with quote

JRJohn wrote:
I'm 45, and waking up to the reality of N.I. contributions now. Over the last 12 years, I've spent periods abroad, teaching English in various countries. What was the initial reason? Well, I spent a year looking for work after graduation in 2000, and it was nearly impossible to get a job. I suspect, that had I left Scotland, and gone to London, I would have found work there. However, I could not afford that. So I went to Spain to teach English. Since then, it's been complicated. I have been in and out of the U.K. a lot, I've worked in the U.K. paid contributions for part of the time, I've taught abroad, and I've been on the dole.
I decided to start keeping my contributions up to date, and there's the problem. What if the govt. won't let me pay?

If you call the office they are very helpful, and you can bring your payments up to date. Basically you have to pay for 30 years to get a full state pension, and you can only back pay six years. They told me I had 12 years covered, I brought mine up to date this year, and have about 12 years left to pay. Paying back six years cost me about £3,500.

Get on it mate, they are looking for any excuse not to pay out, as the OP demonstrated.
jm2505

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adaruby"]
sprightly wrote:

I have no plans to retire in the UK though, so I guess there's no real point in me adding to this.

How does your time away affect treatment on the NHS though?

It is possible to be taken off the NHS register after 3 months absence outside the UK - whether you like it or not.

I (thankfully) got round it by always having an address (a friend or family member) in the UK, I was always registered via that address with a doctors surgery in the UK (plus I always have a UK bank account and driving license ). I never voluntarily told anyone I was working abroad.

When I had my stroke on the plane as it landed at Manchester Airport, after working in Malaysia, I was rushed off to the local hospital no questions asked.

When I was in hospital, while still not fully conscious, one of the ward staff came to ask me how long I had been out of the country, where I had been, was I registered with a doctor in the UK. Enough of my brain worked to give the right/acceptable answers.

And a final word of caution, you may think you won't retire in the UK but things can change without warning. Although I can now fly (after 1 year) I need access to medication and constant monitoring by the doctor. I can't walk properly. I no longer drive. So working abroad can be a bit of a challenge. All at the grand age of 55!

My last word on this - I have paid over 30 years NI (and heaven knows how much in UK tax) as I only moved into TEFL and started working abroad when I was 45. But despite paying my dues, I have found that there is now a culture in the UK, whereby the government is trying, in an effort to save money, to find ways of offloading those who have paid but then need to claim something back due to illness and disability.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access to NHS had often been a concern of mine while thinking about where to spend my declining years. Winters may be wet and windy, but I am glad that I chose Scotland ! When I had a heart attack I got a free helicopter flight to hospital in Paisley ! Such luxuries used to be the privilege of foolish tourists from the South who had got lost in the mountains. Now it is routine to fly cases to hospital if other transport is not practical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: