Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studying Spanish as a Foreign Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Studying Spanish as a Foreign Language Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to a Latin American sountry after I finish in Peru and studying spanish as a foreign language for a semester or two. I studied it for years and lived in Spain, but would like to do it again, in Uruguay, Argentina, or Paraguay, or Bolivia.
The thing is I don't want to go through a study abroad program, because they charge heaps of money, like 1000 USD a month or so. I'd ratyher pay that much for a semester than a month.
Anyone know of affordable programs in universities or language schools?
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Spanish lessons Reply with quote

A Peruvian boyfriend sounds like a cheaper option!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there;s an idea, but honestly, I think that I'm too young and selfish to date now.
luneaz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Hmm, there;s an idea, but honestly, I think that I'm too young and selfish to date now.

How old are you? Just curious....

But to answer your question... actually I have another question first: do you want to learn Spanish or do you want to study it and get university credit or some sort of certificate/diploma for it (or some sort of proof that you took classes)?

Because if it's for the love of the language, then personally I would not study Spanish at a university or language school, especially if you already have some knowledge of grammar. I would just go for "full immersion", i.e. live with Spanish speakers and work with Spanish speakers and just do everything in Spanish. You can even start writing your diary in Spanish Smile

The good thing about Spanish-speaking countries is that people don't speak much, if any English so one can learn the language very fast, simply because there is no other choice.

If you really want to study at a univeristy though, I would a) search the net for universities in the particularl countries you are interested in and find out what kind of courses they habe. I think normally you can just inscribe, the fee might be higher for you as a foreigner, but should still be a lot cheaper than a Study Abroad program. I know I looked at an MA in Translation in Costa Rica and it was open also for foreigners.

I think it might also be good to try and find people from those particular countries you are interested in. They might be able to give you advice on universities. Or talk to the Study Abroad Office of a university back home to get info and to people who are on Study Abroad programs (fiind out where they are studying and which courses they are taking), because those courses/universities won't just be limited to them.

And since you'll be in Peru you might be able to travel to some of those countries you're interested in and check out the unis directly.

So, I think what it comes down to is that you just need to do some research and probably some paperwork yourself, but it should be possible.

In any case, you will be in Peru and should be able to learn plenty of Spanish by living there!

hth

luneaz
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luneaz wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

How old are you? Just curious....

But to answer your question... actually I have another question first: do you want to learn Spanish or do you want to study it and get university credit or some sort of certificate/diploma for it (or some sort of proof that you took classes)?

Because if it's for the love of the language, then personally I would not study Spanish at a university or language school, especially if you already have some knowledge of grammar. I would just go for "full immersion", i.e. live with Spanish speakers and work with Spanish speakers and just do everything in Spanish. You can even start writing your diary in Spanish Smile

The good thing about Spanish-speaking countries is that people don't speak much, if any English so one can learn the language very fast, simply because there is no other choice.

If you really want to study at a univeristy though, I would a) search the net for universities in the particularl countries you are interested in and find out what kind of courses they habe. I think normally you can just inscribe, the fee might be higher for you as a foreigner, but should still be a lot cheaper than a Study Abroad program. I know I looked at an MA in Translation in Costa Rica and it was open also for foreigners.

I think it might also be good to try and find people from those particular countries you are interested in. They might be able to give you advice on universities. Or talk to the Study Abroad Office of a university back home to get info and to people who are on Study Abroad programs (fiind out where they are studying and which courses they are taking), because those courses/universities won't just be limited to them.

In any case, you will be in Peru and should be able to learn plenty of Spanish by living there!

hth

luneaz

I'm 21. I graduated uni about a year and a half ago. Studied Spanish as my minor. Went to Spain. Had studied Spanish for 8 years. I want to learn it beacuse I love the language, I don't need credits, BUt I think that I want to take a course for a semester, becuase then I can fully concentrate on the langauge. LIke here in China, I've picked up tons, but compared to people who are studying it full time, my chinese is horrible.
I'll actually be wokring at a uni in Peru, but full time, so I don't think that I will have much time for classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: