Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET placement choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natsume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: crapshoot - it is probably not a good idea to count on a specific placement, it might happen, but it very well might not.
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I know that Smile

But, obviously some people do get their first, second or third choice or somewhere close so I think it's worth doing a little research on cities/prefectures then choosing 3 and then...who knows! For instance this map tells you who got 1st/2nd choices and so-forth

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/embed?mid=zhuiTwVccKcw.kWvH6mZ0TfQI
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
It comes down to what locations are available that cycle and where you score on the interviews. If you're near the top then there's a good chance you'll get what you ask for if a space there is available. If you're at the bottom of the table then you're meat being thrown into available slots.

Remember the only two rules:

SoP is what gets/loses you the interview slot.
Points scored at the interview gets you the job.
They want adaptable, open minded, interested, and capable.

It's that simple.

Yep. SOME people get their first choice. Showing up to an interview without having done any research (including researching the three places you claim as your choices) could be viewed as not showing that you are 'interested'.

I think you should be open to being placed anywhere (because you could well be placed anywhere), but be prepared to talk about your three choices.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
G Cthulhu wrote:
It comes down to what locations are available that cycle and where you score on the interviews. If you're near the top then there's a good chance you'll get what you ask for if a space there is available. If you're at the bottom of the table then you're meat being thrown into available slots.

Remember the only two rules:

SoP is what gets/loses you the interview slot.
Points scored at the interview gets you the job.
They want adaptable, open minded, interested, and capable.

It's that simple.

Yep. SOME people get their first choice. Showing up to an interview without having done any research (including researching the three places you claim as your choices) could be viewed as not showing that you are 'interested'.

I think you should be open to being placed anywhere (because you could well be placed anywhere), but be prepared to talk about your three choices.

I got my first choice when I was a JET back in the day. I think it was because my wife is Japanese (met, married and lived some years in the States first) and we wanted to be somewhere near her family. Got placed in a town about 30 minutes away. Probably figured a mother-in-law nearby was good insurance to keep me on my best behavior. Very Happy

I do recall discussing my placement choices at the interview. I think I said something to the effect that while it would be great to have the support of family nearby, I'd be perfectly willing, happy and able to go anywhere the program needed me. Any location in Japan would surely provide plenty of opportunities to learn and share. You know, stress it's about what you can do for them, not what you want to do when you get here.

The previous posters' advice is very good. Do your homework and show you are more than just a backpacker looking for a free ticket to Asia.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever meet that Myargonauts Jason on Youtube who was and still is involved with the JET Program? He's teaching at Shimane University now as contract instructor.

He would probably be a good source of information. I think he was in the JET program for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/myargonauts/videos

That said, it sounds like a terrible program. I would never want a job where I had to live in rural Japan. It makes sense why JETs commit suicide now and then.

I always recommend that newbies go straight to a city first. Being isolated and not having any family, friends, etc. in Japan and not speaking the language can be dangerous. Add alcohol consumption to that isolation and any homesickness - depression and you sometimes have people jumping off their balconies.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:

Thanks. I'll definitely have reasons for my choices, but is it fine to just say things such as some landmark or things you've read about the area? Doesn't sound too superficial does it? But, after all what else can you say!

I guess if you're not open to being placed anywhere you shouldn't apply in the first place!

marley'sghost wrote:

I got my first choice when I was a JET back in the day. I think it was because my wife is Japanese (met, married and lived some years in the States first) and we wanted to be somewhere near her family. Got placed in a town about 30 minutes away. Probably figured a mother-in-law nearby was good insurance to keep me on my best behavior. Very Happy

Haha, I guess in your case you had a very good reason for choosing a particular area and it's natural they'd put you there, whereas for most they won't have such strong reasons to be in a certain area.

Quote:
I do recall discussing my placement choices at the interview. I think I said something to the effect that while it would be great to have the support of family nearby, I'd be perfectly willing, happy and able to go anywhere the program needed me. Any location in Japan would surely provide plenty of opportunities to learn and share. You know, stress it's about what you can do for them, not what you want to do when you get here.

The previous posters' advice is very good. Do your homework and show you are more than just a backpacker looking for a free ticket to Asia.

Yes, that sounds like something I'd say too. It would be true in my case and I'm sure it's what they like to hear.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
Anyone ever meet that Myargonauts Jason on Youtube who was and still is involved with the JET Program? He's teaching at Shimane University now as contract instructor.

He would probably be a good source of information. I think he was in the JET program for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/myargonauts/videos

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Quote:

That said, it sounds like a terrible program. I would never want a job where I had to live in rural Japan. It makes sense why JETs commit suicide now and then.

I always recommend that newbies go straight to a city first. Being isolated and not having any family, friends, etc. in Japan and not speaking the language can be dangerous. Add alcohol consumption to that isolation and any homesickness - depression and you sometimes have people jumping off their balconies.

In my case I'd say I'm a pretty independent person and I have lived abroad before so I'm not some college graduate first time abroad without mommy and daddy. Also, I don't drink alcohol anymore and do have some language ability in Japanese. I guess people applying should be really sure they are willing to live in a rural area.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

That makes no sense at all. None.

Except for the few JET's placed on islands, being "rural" doesn't mean cut off. Get a car. Take the bus. Become involved. All the more reason to learn the language (so you can horrify people in Tokyo with a rural dialect Smile ). JET suicide rates are lower than the general population, so that's a non-starter. Moreover, none of the reasons you've stated for going to a city first apply in one location and not the other: just as easy to be isolated & lose the plot in a city of X million as it is in a village of 12,000.

Seriously, your post makes no sense to me.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:

That makes no sense at all. None.

Except for the few JET's placed on islands, being "rural" doesn't mean cut off. Get a car. Take the bus. Become involved. All the more reason to learn the language (so you can horrify people in Tokyo with a rural dialect Smile ). JET suicide rates are lower than the general population, so that's a non-starter. Moreover, none of the reasons you've stated for going to a city first apply in one location and not the other: just as easy to be isolated & lose the plot in a city of X million as it is in a village of 12,000.

Seriously, your post makes no sense to me.

I remember the case of poor L. Is**e who chose to end her life in, Osaka, I think. Seems that Japan didn't live up to her expectations of a "returnee"...of sorts.

This was in the very early days of JET. I was in the 3rd wave. She may have been the first. Since I was assigned to rural Kumamoto and sincerely liked being away from other JETs, fruitcake JET-types came outta da woodwork to see if poor little ol' me was suicidal. Simps! Drinking can be a problem with some. I took pains to cease all drinking during the week with the exceptions of my weekly trips into Kumamoto City where I let her rip!

I guess that my point is that I agree with G. as much as I dislike doing so. Suicide is caused by something deeper than being in the boonies. I don't know what was going on in L.'s life, but I'm sure that it WASN'T Osaka!

May she rest in peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: