Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hotel gym/pool/beach questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Hotel gym/pool/beach questions. Reply with quote

Girlfriend and I are moving to Qatar this summer and are looking for things to do with our free time.

She is an avid swimmer and loves the beach; I am in need of a gym.

Have looked on various search engines and most of the information is dated several years back.

I do not mind paying a yearly fee if it will keep us in shape and entertained.

Any insight to which hotels have the best facilities would be apprecited.

Texas
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel and lifestyle sites like tripadvisor.com, expatarrivals.com, and lifeinqatar.com should give you the answers you need.

Since you mentioned you're moving to the country with your girlfriend, I suggest you check out this November 2013 article, "Cohabitation laws in Qatar cause confusion for hotel guests" (http://dohanews.co/cohabitation-laws-cause-confusion-for-hotel-guests/), especially if you expect to live together in Qatar as an unmarried couple.
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hotel gym/pool/beach questions. Reply with quote

For general questions about living in Qatar, you might also want to try popular local Qatar forums, such as:

http://www.iloveqatar.net/
http://www.qatarliving.com/
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information nomad----separate residences are being provided.

rtm--- I've seen questions posted on those sites---they usually go unanswered or are were posted 8 years ago.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasisthereason wrote:
I've seen questions posted on those sites---they usually go unanswered or are were posted 8 years ago.

Frankly, once you get to Qatar, you'll have a better idea of beaches, gyms, etc. and their proximity to where you'll be staying.
rtm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasisthereason wrote:
rtm--- I've seen questions posted on those sites---they usually go unanswered or are were posted 8 years ago.

Have you posted your questions on those sites? I've had mixed success on those 2 sites in particular. However, I have had some of my questions answered with useful information.

Sorry I can't give you any first-hand information about paying for pool or gym access -- my residence has both. Yours might, too.

Here is some information about paying for beach/pool/resort access at hotels. It can add up quickly.

Here's some info about gyms in Qatar (published Feb. 27, 2014).
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rtm--- that was a very helpful and concise link.

Yes---it appears to be expensive. My mindset is to bite the bullet and purchase a couples package in order for us to have something to do in our downtime. The Hilton costs 11,9oo and includes the beach and pool (both indoor and outdoor) along with bar and restaurant.

To do it on a per visit fee would then rack up beyond the annual.

My goal is to keep us fit and entertained when not at work; and it appears that the weather is conducive year round to beach/pool activity.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasisthereason wrote:
Thanks rtm--- that was a very helpful and concise link.

Yes---it appears to be expensive. My mindset is to bite the bullet and purchase a couples package in order for us to have something to do in our downtime. The Hilton costs 11,9oo and includes the beach and pool (both indoor and outdoor) along with bar and restaurant.

To do it on a per visit fee would then rack up beyond the annual.

My goal is to keep us fit and entertained when not at work; and it appears that the weather is conducive year round to beach/pool activity.

I wouldn't say the summer months are all necessarily conducive to beach/pool activities...unless you enjoy sitting on the beach when it's 110 degrees F outside... Shocked
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirAristede wrote:
I wouldn't say the summer months are all necessarily conducive to beach/pool activities...

I'd echo this. Summers are not a lot of fun outside, even in the water. If the pools are inside, you might use them. I use my residence's pool in the summer, but only at night.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

1-I had no prob living with my girlfriend in Doha.

2-I joined the Sheraton. Nice beach, good gym. I just told them we were married and the couple membership was cheaper.

Is your employer going to sort the housing? How will your girlfriend get sponsored?
millie18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your girlfriend is an avid swimmer - i.e. swimming for fitness, some of the hotel beach fronts are fairly small. The Ritz has a lovely indoor pool as well as beach front and I know there are many couples and families who use their fitness and beach facilities and are very happy.

You will want somewhere fairly accessible. As usual, Doha is under construction, which makes already unbearable traffic worse.

Aspire might be an option as well but the facilities are usually segregated (as they may be at some of the hotels as well).
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm an avid sea swimmer. You have to watch the jelly fish in the summer months.

I'd do the Sheraton as I said.
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheraton has been closed since May and probably until late 2015 for renovations
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

A good few of the 5-star hotel gym memberships may be out of your price range, if you're just a lowly TEFLer. That's unless you work direct hire for QP (in which case you'll need the facilities, for relaxation!!). For example, last time I checked, the 4 Seasons gym/spa/private beach was 19,500 QAR a year (around 5300 USD p.a.), and that will probably have gone up by now.

They'll usually expect a minimum of 6 months' commitment in advance (i.e. payment), if not a full year up front. It varies from hotel to hotel. Try Radisson Blu, as, at least when they were known as Ramada, their memberships were reasonable, for Doha at least. They accepted 6 month memberships (paid upfront) and you could get a discount for 'family' memberships. I'm not sure if your girlfriend would count as family, but you could try.

There are also 'cheap' deals to be had from some of the less plush hotels. The Concorde is not bad. Its a decent 4 star 'dry' (no booze) hotel, and I was paying 500 QAR a month (about 140 USD p.m.) for the gym and outdoor pool. The gym is ok, and it's big enough, with a Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. The downside being the stone they've made the ground of the outdoor pool area from is very slippery when wet, and a health and safety disaster. I slipped and fell more than once. The pool itself was nice though, and pretty quiet usually.

You can also find smaller gyms in and about the city, if you ask around, or just have a search on Google. I used one gym for a couple of months that was 300 QAR a month. It had an excellent range of free weights and weight training machines, over 2 levels, but no shower facilities, never mind a pool. I only used it cause it was 5 min walk from my apartment, and I could go straight home and shower/change.

I'd say you can afford at least a few of the nice hotel gym memberships, even some of the less posh 5-star ones, but it'll be such a chunk of money that you'd better be sure you want to make good use of the facilities, and spend at least some of your weekends on the beach, so that you get your money's worth.

Good luck!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: er Reply with quote

Does QP still have the Falcon Club? It had a nice pool when I was direct-hire with QP and a great library along with the squash courts of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: