Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nizwa College of Technology and TATI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonhar_99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazoon College Reply with quote

To VS..... Mazoon College has been co-educational for the last 2 years. In case this matters to anyone.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazoon College Reply with quote

jonhar_99 wrote:
To VS..... Mazoon College has been co-educational for the last 2 years. In case this matters to anyone.

Thanks for the update. They must not have been able to get enough female students to pay the bills. Laughing That is actually a good sign... that not many families feel the need for a totally segregated tertiary education. Do you know if all the classes are sexually integrated?

VS
jonhar_99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: mazoon Reply with quote

Yes, all classes both sexes....Some small number of parents withdrew their daughters.
NewRecruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Nizwa College of Technology Reply with quote

Hello,

Reading your posts has enabled me to make a good decision about working in Oman, so I am writing to acknowledge it to you. Thanks very much for everyone who has provided information about your teaching experiences-- whether negative accounts or positive ones.

I am working at the Nizwa College of Technology in Nizwa, Oman. For these past two years, it's been a positive work environment. The students have been respectful and polite; the administrators here (Sultan, Dr. Ignatius, and Ms. Thuriya) are organized and supportive; and my colleagues are from all over the world, with a lot of good insights about teaching.

If it hadn't been for this forum, my decision to accept my employment offer at NCT might not have happened. I got a lot of information from here about Oman, and also spoke with individuals who taught there in the past.

Thank you, again.

-NewRecruit
omanoman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that the forum has worked as an effective support for prospective teachers coming to oman. All to often, it is used as a platform for gripes and occasionally outright slanderous misinformation or hyperbole intended to denigrate former employers.

Nizwa is a beautiful area of oman and best of luck for the remainder of your time there and elsewhere.

Omanoman
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbearable indeed.
balqis
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the recruiters have resurrected an old thread in order to....recruit? Laughing
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that TATI are advertising again for HCT teachers. Almost November and still short, not good. Are people doing runners or is it just that they didn't manage to recruit enough first time around?
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows if this is a case of being unable to recruit or arrivals doing a runner....?!! But it's pretty clear-new recruits recommendation of the MOM Nizwa college and the latest advertisement by TATI appear on the same day!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same suspicion Tazz...

VS
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the suspicion / surprise for the coincidental timing or the addition of a rare positive post?

I, for one, wish there was more like it so that at least the positive experiences get some airtime on the site as I am absolutely sure there are many of them to tell.

Having said that, the weather is turning for the better, the 'cyclone' that was forming looks to miss us entirely, short week this week for the New year holiday, just had a tasty and cheap lunch and work is busy and productive.

good times.....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
Is the suspicion / surprise for the coincidental timing or the addition of a rare positive post?

I, for one, wish there was more like it so that at least the positive experiences get some airtime on the site as I am absolutely sure there are many of them to tell.

Having said that, the weather is turning for the better, the 'cyclone' that was forming looks to miss us entirely, short week this week for the New year holiday, just had a tasty and cheap lunch and work is busy and productive.

good times.....

And National Day to come next month and another day off if you work for the military....great for the salaried workers, not so good for consultants!
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think omanoman's pleasure in seeing a posting [the only posting-I might add] from somebody with a 'positive spin' on working at a MOM college has blinded him/her to the language and style of the contribution, which is formal and unlikely to have been written by a native speaker-what do they call this in public relations jargon?
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tazz,

"what do they call this in public relations jargon?"

A shill, perhaps?

" 1. an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.
2. a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest."

Regards,
John
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Tazz, only native speakers are acceptable for legitimate esl teaching by your estimation? Or, non natives are incapable of having or expressing positive perspectives . Or......what exactly is your opinion / prejudice on this matter?

Perhaps the post is from a shill or, maybe an autonomous computer algorithm controlled by a consortium of Omani recruiting agencies and calibrated to infiltrate anonymous Internet forums and post glowing anecdotes about life and work in oman?

One never knows.......

Copyright,
forumthreadomatic 2000, model 968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: