Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookless in Jakarta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Llama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Bookless in Jakarta Reply with quote

Hi all,

Any ideas on where to buy supplementary materials in Jakarta? Local bookshops have a very limited selection and I'm pretty sure that amazon.com doesn't deliver to Indonesia. How can I stock those empty shelves?
phis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon does deliver to Indonesia - both the American and the British sites. Also other educational bookstores in England, such as Waterstone's and others. Just run a google search for listings.

The big bookstore, with a Japanese name starting with 'K' (can't remember the full name), based in Singapore, will also send books. The publishers such as Cambridge University Press and Oxford will also send books from England. You have to shop around for the ones that offer the best postal rates as these can add quite a lot to your order.

Delivery times vary quite a lot, depending really on how much postage you are prepared to pay.

Hope this helps. By the way, there are educational bookstores in Jakarta. I know because we get a lot of our books from them. You may find a listing in the telephone directory.

Hope this helps.
El Llama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phis,

Thanks for your help. As my boss is very careful with her money (to put it politely), the local educational bookstores sound like the best bet. Do you have any of their names for me?
zpivat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That big Japanese bookstore starting with a "k" which Phis mentioned, might it be Kinokuniya?
phis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplier we use most frequently is Kartika, tel. 021-4505382. I have no idea if they have a shop or if you have to order everything by phone. The have most of the current books and will get anything for you that they don't already have in stock.

And in answer to the following poster: Yes, that was the name of the Japanese bookstore.
lyj898

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard of Kartika before.... but never been there not have i bought anything from there... do they sell textbooks for bio sciences.. those from mcgraw hill and prentice hall?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: