Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Home Country vs. Teaching Abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Home Country vs. Teaching Abroad Reply with quote

I'm working right now as an elementary teacher in the US. Quite honestly, I hate it! It's not the actual teaching, but the misbehaved children (with no consequences to dole out and parents who don't support teachers), high class sizes, and about 80 hours of work for a 40 hour contract.

Have others made the switch between public school teaching in the US (or other countries) and teaching abroad? How do you find it compares?

I taught in China once, and ended up where I am now because I had a choice to either teach abroad or teach in another state. I chose another state. However, now that I'm here, I know that I cannot possibly maintain this job situation for longer than this year.

In China, my class sizes were much higher, but I felt much more supported as a teacher, which is saying something, because I was pretty much just tossed into a classroom! However, I felt confident that if I had an out of control kid, I could tell someone, and he would be dealt with - even though I never had to do that. Students also cared if they failed and wanted to learn. Here, kids have pretty much no respect for educators and no motivation to learn anything. Having a failing student is all put on the teacher, with no consideration of the particular student.

There are also similarities. Here, I have about 60% ELLs (English language learners). I find that I use similar strategies to get them to understand new vocabulary and content.

The pay here is good (I make $40,000 a year), but I don't think it's worth it. I'd easily take half the pay for a teaching job that I enjoyed more.

I am wondering if others would like to chime in on a comparison between the two careers. If you've done both, do you enjoy the choice that you've made to choose one over the other?

Question

Last edited by haleynicole14 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taught both, but I thought that before you make your decision, you might want to consider this:

* You are not really talking about 'public' versus ESL teaching. You are talking about teaching in your current context versus teaching "overseas" (which is EFL, not ESL) [ESL is for English language teaching in English speaking countries- like preparing international students to do their undergraduate degree in an English medium university]. ESL can be public teaching. (See LINC in Canada).

* The issues you have with your class are the exact same as elementary and junior high school teachers have in Japan (and likely other countries as well). You can get away from it by becoming an Assistant Language Teacher, in that you no longer have responsibility for dealing with it. But, your pay will be much lower (and so will your 'status'- if that matters to you).

* Because this is the situation, many (really MOST) NETs (Native English Teachers) strive to get out of teaching those levels and into university teaching. In order to do this, you will need at least a masters degree in applied linguistics or TESOL, unless you can find a university that will accept a k-12 qualification. In Japan, you also need a few publications in language teaching, normally.
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, there is certainly a difference between teaching ESL abroad and teaching at an international school abroad. I compared the two because that was my experience, but if anyone has had a different experience, I welcome the information. Smile I just updated the subject to reflect that.

I was also at a public school in China, so I don't mean all public schools. I meant to ask about American-style public schools, which are crazy-obsessed with testing right now. I don't have a problem with tests being a big factor in schooling, but we have so many school- and government-mandated assessments right now, I don't have time to actually teach. Alternatively, I suppose I am also wondering about teaching in users' home-countries versus teaching abroad. The question may boil down to, what is your personal experience with the difference between teaching in your home country and teaching abroad?
diced260

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to continue teaching in the US wouldn't you at some point qualify for a pension? I'm pretty sure that is the case and it is definitely something I would be taking into consideration.
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have a public employee retirement system, which is a definite plus. Health benefits too.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is funny. I got certified in Arizona and plan to move back to the US.
I can't get tenure here and get sick of limited contracts in Japan.
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
That is funny. I got certified in Arizona and plan to move back to the US.
I can't get tenure here and get sick of limited contracts in Japan.

I hope you enjoy it... Arizona is ranked as a tough state to teach in. So is my current state, though.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest a third alternative. I have taught public school in the US, private school (Catholic) in the US and all levels in Guatemala and Mexico.

First, I taught for 5 years in public schools and this was years ago, and it was BAD then, so I can totally understand your wanting to get out. Not sure how I lasted 5 years.

I taught for one amazing year in a Catholic school, in a suburb of Chicago (Skokie) where class sizes were small, discipline was good and parents were supportive. The pay was not great, but that might have changed. Since you mentioned that you would be willing to take a pay cut, you might want to look into private, religious based school that are SMALL. Small seems to be the key. Even if you are not Catholic, some Catholic schools will hire non-Catholic teachers if you are teaching a grade that doesn't include specific Catholic religious instruction (2nd grade, for example, prepares children for their 1st communion). You might also look at Lutheran schools, Mennonite schools and Jewish schools.

If kids aren't your cup of tea, maybe make the transition to teaching adults. It is not always an upgrade from teaching kids, though, but if you have motivated students who are there because they want to be, it can be great. I know a lot of people who are down on language schools, but I taught at a few in Mexico City, and the students were great. They pay is not great to start, but it will eventually catch up. And no matter what, you will usually be earning more than local teachers with similar, or even more, education and training.
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Home Country vs. Teaching Abroad Reply with quote

haleynicole14 wrote:
I'm working right now as an elementary teacher in the US. Quite honestly, I hate it! It's not the actual teaching, but the misbehaved children (with no consequences to dole out and parents who don't support teachers), high class sizes, and about 80 hours of work for a 40 hour contract.

Have others made the switch between public school teaching in the US (or other countries) and teaching abroad? How do you find it compares?

I taught in China once, and ended up where I am now because I had a choice to either teach abroad or teach in another state. I chose another state. However, now that I'm here, I know that I cannot possibly maintain this job situation for longer than this year.

In China, my class sizes were much higher, but I felt much more supported as a teacher, which is saying something, because I was pretty much just tossed into a classroom! However, I felt confident that if I had an out of control kid, I could tell someone, and he would be dealt with - even though I never had to do that. Students also cared if they failed and wanted to learn. Here, kids have pretty much no respect for educators and no motivation to learn anything. Having a failing student is all put on the teacher, with no consideration of the particular student.

There are also similarities. Here, I have about 60% ELLs (English language learners). I find that I use similar strategies to get them to understand new vocabulary and content.

The pay here is good (I make $40,000 a year), but I don't think it's worth it. I'd easily take half the pay for a teaching job that I enjoyed more.

I am wondering if others would like to chime in on a comparison between the two careers. If you've done both, do you enjoy the choice that you've made to choose one over the other?

Question

Howdy, Haleynicole14,

I can't exactly answer your question as I didn't do any teaching in the US (just some observations, volunteering and what not for a teacher certification program). I've been teaching English conversation at a high school in China for the last year while I worked on getting certified for grades 6-12 in English.

From what I read it sounds like you're a certified teacher in the US with some years of experience? And it sounds like you would still be interested in teaching elementary students? I hope I understand your situation correctly.

You could look into Search Associates and International School Service for positions with international elementary schools. Each costs several hundred dollars and probably takes some time to get all the documents to them (letters of recommendation, transcripts, copies of degrees, etc) but they have many job fairs. Otherwise, for $50/year The International Educator (TIE) website has many job announcements. For free, you could sign up for TeachAway, The Times Education Supplement (London, UK), Teachers-Teachers, to name a few.

From looking at job postings in China for example, elementary school teachers could make 15-20,000RMB/month with little experience up to 25-30,000RMB/month with experience and working at one of the more elite schools. Of course, many of those jobs will be competitive and in big cities (Beijing, Shanghai, etc) so there will be ways to spend more money. But I think one should still be able to save alot of money for retirement on that. YMMV, though.

International Schools Review has a couple of forums if you want to explore that avenue for teaching abroad.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a Catholic college. I would not mind teaching at a Catholic school.
What website would list jobs?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you live, but usually the Archdiocese will have something on their Website. Also, depending on the school you went to, they might have a reciprocal agreement with another "sister" school and let you use their employment service (I went to Loyola of Chicago, but was able to use the service at another Jesuit school, Marquette, in Milwaukee, without a problem). Of course, if you live in the same city where you went to school, try there first. Also, you can just contact individual schools, as some hire independently of the Archdiocese. Not a lot of them, but some. There are usually a decent number of openings, because pay is not really competitive with public schools. But unless things have made a drastic change since I taught in a Catholic school, the working conditions will be so much better that if won't matter. The only way I would go back to teaching kids (well, if I ever went to live in the US, which I have no plans to do) would be in a Catholic school. Or a small Lutheran school (though I understand they are hesitant to hire Catholics in the more conservative ones) as I have a couple of friends who teach in them and love the atmosphere.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I went to St. Michael's in Vermont.
They are Edmundites, Not sure who they are affiliated with.
Some priests have worked in the deep south, but just at churches I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: