Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TQLS - Recent News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertdawg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: TQLS - Recent News Reply with quote

I see TQLS are advertising again. Anything known? The Sept 2013 thread gives mixed reviews.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is it that you want to know? It is highly unlikely that there has been any real changes since September... and I base that comment on the fact that this group has always had a basically negative reputation. Best used as a "foot in the door" job to have something on the CV teaching Arabic speakers... or to merely have a paycheck until you find something better.

VS
grayskies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: TQ Reply with quote

I would avoid them. They have the same reputation (if not worse), than MOD!
waltgomez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding it's very precarious to work for them. There's very high turnover of staff.

What happens is that they provide teachers to various ministries and then, the ministry selects the ones it likes.

You start teaching and then someone comes in, looks at how you teach and based on their standards likes or dislikes you.

So, there is an observation, and many ( as in many) people don't pass it. Then, they get shipped out of Kuwait. Thus, technically, it's not TQLS that fires you, but the ministries just say" Nah, not this one". It's almost like the American Idol contest.

I don't think it's a good idea to go to a foreign country to participate in a "contest".
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually teaching EFL is a contest everywhere...let's see who wins and keeps his job! Surprised
jaffa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to go to a foreign country to participate in a "contest".

I dunno ... MissWorld contestants get put up in 5 star hotels in places like Bali and Rio. I hope the next one is in Riyadh.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Actually teaching EFL is a contest everywhere...let's see who wins and keeps his job! Surprised

To a greater or lesser degree it is the case with any job. In this case, the degree of such a phenomenon is humongous. In case of a university, it is infinitely less so.

Whatever the case may be, when you work for TQLS, you hear of people getting fired or not passing some evaluation/observation almost every week. Your coworkers disappear all the time. Here today, gone tomorrow. The sword of Damocles hangs over your head daily. The fear is unreal.

You should look for something a bit more stable where you are treated as a professional, not as a contestant.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa wrote:
waltgomez wrote:

I dunno ... MissWorld contestants get put up in 5 star hotels in places like Bali and Rio. I hope the next one is in Riyadh.

With the Kuwaiti admiration for Western females and their rather tolerant standards of beauty- being a female is usually enough- most of the female teachers employed with that company pass the contest. It is the males that get shipped out.

If you have bills and a family to support or a mortgage to pay, you should think twice of accepting a job with that company.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I did a stint with them when in between jobs. There were some nutters there for sure. People did fail observations but it was rare. In fact, failure could be rewarded as you became the cover teacher and did sweet nothing, far preferable to teaching and passing idle, spoilt Kuwaitis. The CEO's motivational speech included the gem,'Well it's a job.' The DOS did his best with an odd mix of people but had 1 or 2 favourites as I recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: