Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why no Malaysian jobs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Why no Malaysian jobs? Reply with quote

Hola!

How come I rarely see any jobs for Malaysia? I would think there would be a demand, especially around Kuala Lampur, but I rarely have seen any jobs there.

A Malaysian work visa is supposedly very difficult to get. I read on their consular website that Isreali citizens were not allowed travel inside Malaysia.

Senor
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing actually.. I've heard that in order to obtain a visa you must be over the age of 26 and be highly experienced in the field you want to work in, but I don't know if this is true. The few jobs that I have seen advertised tend to require loads of qualifications and experience. I'm in my early twenties and just started out in the world of tefl about a year ago so, for someone like me, the chances of getting a job there are probably really slim, which is unfortunate as I'd quite like to work there.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen adverts in the past from International House in KL. That would be one of the few big int'l chain schools I'd consider working at.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
you must be over the age of 26 and be highly experienced

CELTA + 2 years is the norm, but I know 2 schools that accept less experience for teachers already in M'sia. The over 26 rule is for work permits, so sadly must be adhered to.

Last edited by Hod on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you been looking? When I was in KL a few years ago, it seemed that people were finding work while in the country. I don't think the schools there advertise on the internet very often. Apart from IH another good place to work is the British Council.
Aramas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former British colony with a large Indian population most Malaysians probably speak quite good English. It's generally countries that have either never been colonised (Russia, China, Thailand etc.) or those that were colonised by other European countries that have the greatest demand for English teachers.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why no Malaysian jobs? Reply with quote

senor boogie woogie wrote:
How come I rarely see any jobs for Malaysia?

Recruiting now in KL:

ELS (all over Malaysia)
International House
British Council (KL and Penang)
Cfbt (look on tefl.com)
UK English Language Training, phone +60 (0) 3 20312535

With the exception of the last school, details can be found on google/yahoo. More jobs than you can shake a stick at.

Good luck!
David Bowles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the short-term positions advertised in Kuala Lumpur by International House; it seemed that the visa restrictions did not apply. Does anyone know how this is arranged- would it involve teaching on a tourist visa?
Ta very much, y'all...
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Bowles wrote:
I was looking at the short-term positions advertised in Kuala Lumpur by International House
Ta very much, y'all...

Yes, for a short-term position, you'd be working on a tourist visa.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many years ago there was no market in Malaysia for EFL teachers because the best state high schools and colleges taught all subjects in English, often using British and Indian teachers. In the late 1970's/early 80's many thousands of Malaysians studied in UK universities and had at least three years' exposure to idiomatic native English.

Then Mahathir, the megalomanic former PM, set about a wholesale campaign to replace English with Malay throughout the state education system. (His two sons had already benefitted from a British university education by then) A whole new set of "Malay" words had to be invented to describe scientific and technological terms.

Thanks to Mahathir there does seem to be the beginnings of a demand now for EFL teaching in peninsular Malaysia, although a legacy of his years of rule is a VERY strict immigration system.
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near the end of the Mahathir reign, the Education Ministry belatedly realized the error of the "Malay-only" language policies in the lower and secondary schools. It had produced Malaysia's first modern generation that was functionally illiterate in English.

The decision was recently made to change the language policy by teaching sciences and mathematics in English in the primary and secondary schools. Other subjects would presumably follow.

So there are now all sorts of "upgrading" programs for teachers to improve their English skills, as well as to improve their students' English.

For any ESL/EFL teachers with experience in curriculum design, teacher training, or related fields, Malaysia is now a prime employment destination. The market is also good (though admittedly not as good as elsewhere in Asia) for regular English teaching jobs as well.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Good-Day Reply with quote

Hello senor boogie woogie.

Just happen to be in Malaysia now! I'd say that the main reason that there is little demand for English teaching here is the fact that everyone is able to speak it. As stated above it hasn't been taught in the schools for a while so the younger generation isn't as good with English as the older generation.

Another reason for so few jobs is that those with them tend to hold on to them. Check out the job Journal here on Dave's for Malaysia. Cost of living is way down on Korea. Food is super cheap and great. Appartments are cheap for what they are! Taxies are very cheap also.

Shopping is even better than back home in Australia.
El Llama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, most Malaysians (in K.L.) can communicate in English. It seems that the demand is for more fluently "correct" English and exam practice to get into foreign universities. When I was teaching adults in Malaysia, their main concern was to unlearn the habit of saying "lah" every other word! Indeed, there seemed to be a lot of (in my view) unnecessary angst about speaking "Manglish."

An English teacher in Malaysia doesn't tend to teach many Malays. Thanks to the Bumiputra (sons of the soil) policy, ethnic Malays are granted many priviledges, one of which is having their grades adjusted upwards. Most of the demand in private language schools comes from the Chinese and Koreans, who have to work twice as hard for an equivalent grade.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like a fantastic system!

Confused
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Llama wrote:
When I was teaching adults in Malaysia, their main concern was to unlearn the habit of saying "lah" every other word! Indeed, there seemed to be a lot of (in my view) unnecessary angst about speaking "Manglish."

That did make me laugh-lah! When I was a kid living in Johor many moons ago we used to call it "Inglayu". You even used to get English idiom like "fed up" in the middle of very colloquial Malay sentences - Aku yang fed up ni!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: