Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rookie needing advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is exceptionally difficult for none Europeans to work legally in European Union countries.
Spain was a possibility for US and other citizens to work illegally until recently when 4 large chains of language schools went into liquidation leaving 1 000s of students who had paid for classes broke and in debt.

They also left more than 100 teachers broke and unemployed and without any legal recourse.

10 more countries will be joining the EU club on January 1st 2004 and the same employment rules will apply.

As has been mentioned, Belorussia will not be joining the EU. But I wouldn't recommend working or visiting that corrupt hole.

Incidentally, Turkey is also making applications to join the EU and hopes to get a 'fast track' entry.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey sounds nice.
Lots of opportunity there for EFL'ers?
Think I might make a practice run both there and Greece soon.
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
As of Jan 1st 2004 another 15 countries from Central and Eastern Europe will join the EU - so that will very soon be out.

In the Czech Republic the vote to join the EU is next month. If the people vote no, it will really hurt their chances of joining the EU by 2004.

I have applied to a few jobs in the Czech Republic and I probably won't get a job (even though I speak basic Czech and have spent almost a year in the country) because they might be joining the EU.

Sad

Oh yeah, I am Canadian.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many times this has been said before but you will not have the same immigration rules throughout the EU.

Each country has its own rules. What is true is that when a country has passed through all the transitional phases (in the case of Spain that took from 1986-1993) then work visas will not be required of other EU citizens. There are also rules about having to accept other EU countries professional qualifications, which tend to kck in more quickly.

So what entrance to the EU means is not a hardening of any country's immigration controls but rather their abolsihment for certain classes of foreigners.

Now what this means is that a language school will eventually be able to hire a UK or Irish citizen as easily as it can hire one of its own, and so the American or Australian will be at a comparative disadvantage, but this is different from saying that joining the EU will bring in new immigration controls against Americans.

As for the language schools going broke in Spain, the only staff who would find themselves without protection would be those working illegally. I doubt if the schools involved actually had a large number of staff in that situation - if they did the fines alone would be sufficient to have put them out of business.

The main reason language schools are going broke in Spain is oversupply, and changing work and residence patterns. And to understand the oversupply you just need to look at the demographics. And in Wall Street's case a flawed pedagogoc and business model for the franchisee, as opposed to the franchise which appears to operate on a scorched earth policy.

Now dwindling supply will obviously affect the illegals; after all they will be the first to be laid off and the last to be hired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: