Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inquiry about Teaching Opportunity in the D.R.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Inquiry about Teaching Opportunity in the D.R. Reply with quote

The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) has posted the following teaching opportunities on their website:

Pontificia Universidad Católica
http://www.ciee.org/teach/dominican-republic/university/job-description.aspx

Ministerio de Educación Superior, Ciencia, y Technología (MEESCYT)
http://www.ciee.org/teach/dominican-republic/immersion/

Both opportunities look good, and the pay is consistent with the local market for English instructors. The catch is this: CIEE charges a program fee ranging from $1100 to $1900, depending on the program you are interested in and the length of time you plan to stay.

As an experienced instructor who has previously taught in the D.R., is familiar with the language and culture, and holds an M.A. degree in TESL, going through CIEE is clearly a rip off. Furthermore, I'm assuming that it is possible to bypass CIEE and apply for a job directly with either of the above employers.

Does anyone on this forum happen to know names or have contact information for hiring supervisors at either of these programs. I will continue to investigate via my own network in the D.R., but I am hoping that someone here on the forum can help me find an answer more quickly.

Thanks!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a thread here

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=16277
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inquiry about Teaching Opportunity in the D.R. Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) has posted the following teaching opportunities on their website:

Pontificia Universidad Católica
http://www.ciee.org/teach/dominican-republic/university/job-description.aspx

Ministerio de Educación Superior, Ciencia, y Technología (MEESCYT)
http://www.ciee.org/teach/dominican-republic/immersion/

Both opportunities look good, and the pay is consistent with the local market for English instructors. The catch is this: CIEE charges a program fee ranging from $1100 to $1900, depending on the program you are interested in and the length of time you plan to stay.

As an experienced instructor who has previously taught in the D.R., is familiar with the language and culture, and holds an M.A. degree in TESL, going through CIEE is clearly a rip off. Furthermore, I'm assuming that it is possible to bypass CIEE and apply for a job directly with either of the above employers.

Does anyone on this forum happen to know names or have contact information for hiring supervisors at either of these programs. I will continue to investigate via my own network in the D.R., but I am hoping that someone here on the forum can help me find an answer more quickly.

Thanks!

Hmm...US$8/hour at a university, and only 15 hours a week, and that's only paid for time in the classroom. US$450/month, and I'll assume that you're only teaching for 8-9 months out of the year. So, a yearly salary of around US$4,000/year.

Well, kind of to be expected, unfortunately.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates Gold Wages for EFL teachers can be found in the waters off the D.R next to a sunken EFL Pirate ship....only catch is you must also have a scuba diving license too to find the sunken treasure!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Pirates Gold Wages for EFL teachers can be found in the waters off the D.R next to a sunken EFL Pirate ship....only catch is you must also have a scuba diving license too to find the sunken treasure!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dude, you've been watching way too many Disney movies! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: