Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important information to know when searching for job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocelynp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Important information to know when searching for job? Reply with quote

So I'm about to graduate college and I am thinking about teaching in China as soon as I finish, for hopefully about 10-12 months. I've looked around the board and read the embassy's guide but I still have a few questions I can't find the answers to.

First of all, is there anyway for me to start a position in May or June? & If so, how early can I start looking?

Are there different types of schools, e.g. private vs. public like in Korea? If I was looking to teach high school or younger, what do I need to look out for?

Some additional information about myself in case it's relevant: Money isn't a big deal because I have no loans to pay off and I'm very accustomed to living frugally (though I would like to make enough to have some when I return). I also speak fairly basic Chinese and have experience tutoring ESL students but no TEFL certification.

Any other advice you have to offer me would be appreciated.
snowboard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Important information to know when searching for job? Reply with quote

jocelynp wrote:

First of all, is there anyway for me to start a position in May or June? & If so, how early can I start looking?

I am also wondering about this.

There is so much information on this forum, I've been reading up quite a bit but haven't found an answer to this question. I am looking to go abroad in April or May and if I can't get work lined up I might enroll in a 4-5 week CELTA/TEFL course in SE Asia and go from there.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms work like the North American system, fall-spring. Looking at that time is good, as after people go on vacation. However, expect a fall start, unless it is a language mill, in which case year round is ok.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only score a May/June start at a training or language school. This is the time places check for returning and look for new Teachers. I would think most of the good positions would start later (meaning fall or spring start), but I might be wrong, working at one place for six years.
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible to find an immediate start in early May, but you're more likely looking at a september start.

For cram schools and kindys they hire year-round.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese New Year's Day in 2015 is 18 Feb and I expect the new (Spring) semester starts about 1 March.
You could get an ultra late start in a public school but if there is a black hole in the public recruitment calendar - you've chosen it!
A language school followed by a summer job would line you up for the new public school year starting 1 Sept 2015. But do come on a Z visa, otherwise you may have to return home to get this.
As you seem to be undecided about China v Korea and you give no information about public v private sectors, it's a bit hard to suggest further.
Do get even a basic ESL qual. It won't get you a job but it will give you confidence.
Best
SH_Panda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
You will only score a May/June start at a training or language school. This is the time places check for returning and look for new Teachers. I would think most of the good positions would start later (meaning fall or spring start), but I might be wrong, working at one place for six years.

Nope, you're absolutely right.

Training schools hire all year round.

Public schools and universities (usually) hire for a September or sometimes February start.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the supposed 2 year experience (post degree) requirement? No one said anything about it, so it seems like it's not being applied in many places across China.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years of work experience works. I think they usually say post graduation because a lot of schoola don't really want to hire anyone in their early 20s. Too immature. Too high a chance they will be trying to get students in bed, etc.
jocelynp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I worked at a cram school? Would they require two years experience then?
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a government requirement. Now, the school might have a connection where they can get past that...they might lie on the information they send in...but it might limit you to the crappier/seedier schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: