Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching hours= how many total hours(university)?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwiffey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Teaching hours= how many total hours(university)? Reply with quote

My apologies if this question has already been asked deep in the archives of these forums.

I keep seeing university jobs for "14 teaching hours" or "18 teaching hours", however I'm most interested in how many total hours this will result in me working. Lesson planning, other office tasks, etc. do in fact take time as well. One of my main reasons for wanting to teach in China is extra free time. So, if you have a job that says, for example, 14 teaching hours (assuming they mean 14 periods), how many actual hours would you anticipate this being?

Of course this will vary by the person. A newbie who wants to do an effective job teaching will put in far more extra hours than an experienced but burned out teacher. As for me, I have a few years teaching experience, albeit mostly to kids. I'm pretty comfortable coming up with lesson plans, as long as I have decent resources, but I do like to do a thorough job as well. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like a real slacker, gwiffey. Crying or Very sad

Takes one to know one! Very Happy

My present position: I was told at Beijing HQ (the one time I was there) by the nice lady who hired me via Skype that office hours were 30 week, and every month we would teleconference to keep HQ posted on how I was teaching the hell out of the provincials. I browned my nose up well and good and agreed to everything boss lady said.

"Yes, ma'am. Yes, ma'am." I squeaked and I smiled, rat that I am, because no matter how many years you've been in this game, my friend, I've been in it longer. I knew damn well there would never be no teleconferences, and I would show up ten minutes before my classes every day for a year, and there was nothing she could do about it 2,000 kilometers away, and she'd never know any way!

So in the taxi from the airport the boy FAO is already telling me I can come and go as I please, and my schedule is so light that it's actually a diversion to commute to the school, teach a few hours and buy beer on the way back.

You will teach 40- or 45-minute 'hours', fifty tops. You want to do lesson plans - well, whatever works for you. You will find your skills are so far above the level of your students (bless their little green hearts) that the forty minutes will pass like ten. Yes. By all means, give them high-quality, memorable lessons that will inspire them to want to learn more and more English. Answer all their questions to pass the time and seem conscientious (BE conscientious!) You are quite capable , I am sure. Just don't forget to buy dinner and a couple of beers on the way home. Try to smile even when you aren't so happy. In no time you'll find you have a pretty little girlfriend/boyfriend who you meet outside the shops. 'LG' as the Koreans say, "Life's Good."

Break a leg.
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first semester maybe 25 hours per week. Your second maybe 15. The longer you stay it seems the less hours you work. Less teaching hours and you've done a lot of the prep already.

Bored out of my mind this semester. Too much free time.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public universities generally don't have office hours for their teachers, but you could sign up for the exception. As stated above, your prep time is up to you and your professional standards. It may take you all of five minutes to review an oral conversation lesson you've given many times. Or it may take you a lot longer to prepare for a new class. Writing and literature classes, or Business English classes will also take more preparation time, and marking time for the writing assignments.

While your prep time will probably be up to you, the contract will also probably mention your duty to attend English Corners one evening a week or so, and other duties as assigned. I was asked to judge many contests within the school, such as speech contests. I usually attended and often was paid for my time. Many teachers refuse or politely decline the English Corners and judging opportunities, and you may be able to avoid them with no consequences. I am just mentioning it as part of the time commitment that many schools expect.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a contract with more than 20 contact hours and mostly they were 14 or 16 hours.
A 'contact hour' is usually 45 or 50 mins as others have said.
Classes are usually 2xcontact hours taken together with the 10 mins for toilet stop or admin or moving from one class to another, including changes of building.
Roadwalker's point is important and that is Oral English has minimum prep - at least once you have a semester's worth of resources under your belt.
At my last school Wednesday afternoons were free of classes but any FAO meetings were held then.
English Corners were mentioned in the contract but as only one FT had to front, I think my name came up only twice in a semester.
Prep for English Corners is problematic as you don't know how many students will turn up.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwiffey,

You've gotten good responses so far.

Roadwalker stated "your prep time is up to you and your professional standards." This is true. Very true.

However, you will find that if you don't make a roll book and submit a syllabus in the first week of classes, your job will be hell. The job of teaching requires planning, researching, self-preparation and preparation of tests and exercises for your class. If you don't go to class on a mission every day, your life as a teacher won't be much fun, your students won't like you, and there is a good chance that the school won't renew your contract the following year (or worse, will terminate you at midyear. I've seen the latter happen).

Expect 15-18 classroom hours per week , and possibly another 5-6 hours of traveling to and from another campus per week (many universities are being relocated to the outer reaches of the cities because the campus real estate becomes more valuable over time as cities grow around the campus). Before you accept a job, ascertain 1. where you will live 2. if your classes will be on one campus.

Then there's planning. If you do it right, expect two-to-three hours' preparation per week per subject. If you teach the same subject to five different classes, that should require only two-to-three hours prep time, including creation of tests, getting the tests printed, and correcting them.

HOWEVER, if you teach writing, be prepared to do a LOT of correcting in the beginning. Add another three hours per week per writing class (or more) in the beginning.

If you are assigned three separate subjects such as oral English, writing, and western history, expect a total of ten hours of class prep per week. Some weeks you won't have to do less. The self-imposed workload will fluctuate with the dynamics of the class room.

The less you put into your class preparation, the less you will enjoy teaching, the less your class will like you, and the more difficult your job will be.

Really.

Good luck.
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 hours planning per subject lesson seems excessive given lessons are only 40 to 50 minutes long.

I'm teaching a subject over here in Thailand (will be heading to China in January though!), and I'd say there's about 20 minutes prep per subject lesson, tops. And to be honest you can get away with not doing any at all most of the time, just read the couple of pages of the book you need to teach prior to the lesson beginning and you'll be able to get through it. The only 'planning' I've seen anyone do at this school is maybe writing up a test and printing out worksheets, but that doesn't happen every lesson by any means.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL104 wrote:
2-3 hours planning per subject lesson seems excessive given lessons are only 40 to 50 minutes long.

At every university for whom I have worked, each class was comprised of TWO fifty minute periods. Sure, sometimes, one won't have to put in three hours per week per class. There WILL be times when the material necessitates greater preparation. The FT should be prepared to do that preparation.

Skimming a chapter in a history book may work for those who know the subject very well, but when someone in the class has a better grip on the subject than the teacher does, he'll let the teacher know it. That will result in a serious dip in the teacher's credibility.

Too many people come to China thinking that it's the Land of Milk and Honey and a nice pay check for minimal work. Not so. Those who come to China to play rather than work eventually have a difficult time with administration AND STUDENTS. Administrators may let things slide if all that the teacher is expected to do is teach Oral English and make the students work from a work book. I guarantee, though, that if they are given anything to teach besides a kiddie class of oral English with no book, they're going to have a difficult time. Even then, with no book, the teacher will have to design a curriculum. No curriculum= no show students.

Students know when FTs are full of BS. Teachers who show up for class poorly prepared are not regarded well.

But then, FTs are in the public schools by government mandate, and some schools have written off the FTs as incorrigible losers. I've seen that too. One guy wasn't fired until he came to class so drunk that he could barely stand up. Sure, you can get away with minimal work.

I think that the quality of one's work reflects his self esteem.

The "Fake It 'Til You Make It" philosophy doesn't work very well in China.
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
ESL104 wrote:

At every university for whom I have worked, each class was comprised of TWO fifty minute periods. Sure, sometimes, one won't have to put in three hours per week per class. There WILL be times when the material necessitates greater preparation. The FT should be prepared to do that preparation.

Skimming a chapter in a history book may work for those who know the subject very well, but when someone in the class has a better grip on the subject than the teacher does, he'll let the teacher know it. That will result in a serious dip in the teacher's credibility.

Too many people come to China thinking that it's the Land of Milk and Honey and a nice pay check for minimal work. Not so. Those who come to China to play rather than work eventually have a difficult time with administration AND STUDENTS. Administrators may let things slide if all that the teacher is expected to do is teach Oral English and make the students work from a work book. I guarantee, though, that if they are given anything to teach besides a kiddie class of oral English with no book, they're going to have a difficult time. Even then, with no book, the teacher will have to design a curriculum. No curriculum= no show students.

Students know when FTs are full of BS. Teachers who show up for class poorly prepared are not regarded well.

But then, FTs are in the public schools by government mandate, and some schools have written off the FTs as incorrigible losers. I've seen that too. One guy wasn't fired until he came to class so drunk that he could barely stand up. Sure, you can get away with minimal work.

I think that the quality of one's work reflects his self esteem.

The "Fake It 'Til You Make It" philosophy doesn't work very well in China.

I think it's more a case of 'you get what you pay for', and as universities pay peanuts, they can't expect too much.

For me, the amount of prep and work I put in is directly correlated to how much I'm paid.

In my current school, where hourly rate is peanuts = I don't do any prep at all really, and neither does anyone else. For the corporate class I teach two evenings after school, where the hourly rate is good = I do much more prep.

I still think considering what universities pay, if you're putting in 2 hours per class of prep, you're doing too much work.

For one class (i.e. just oral english) then it's not too big of a deal. But in the example above where you're teaching writing (more prep + more marking) and western history, putting in 2 hours of prep per class, alongside 18 class hours a week, plus the time to mark the writing + history papers, makes that pretty much a full time job that should be renumerated accordingly (i.e. 10k rmb+).

I don't see anything wrong with scaling back effort according to what the pay rate is. I mean the reason you picked the uni job anyway is for the free time, right? So if you're not getting that free time you're been screwed over. I certainly wouldn't be busting my ass for 5-6k a month + free accom, anyway.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with scaling back effort according to what the pay rate is. I mean the reason you picked the uni job anyway is for the free time, right? So if you're not getting that free time you're been screwed over. I certainly wouldn't be busting my ass for 5-6k a month + free accom, anyway.

You'd never make it in an American university. MA level lecturers commonly start out at about $25,000 year to teach two semesters of freshman writing, twenty-one hours per week spread over five days. Try living in an an apartment on that amount of money. There are usually 20-25 students per class. Most classes are required to produce a MINIMUM of three papers per semester. There are no free accommodations, no free bus passes, and no cheap food. Parking is free, but like the students, the lecturer teachers have to fight for parking spots in the faculty parking lot. Since you'd be making such chump change, you'd have to live pretty far out in the boonies where the less expensive apartments are. You might be looking at a one-hour commute.

At the end of each semester, teachers are evaluated by the students with a 20 point rubrick. They are asked

how challenging the class is

how good the teacher is (agree/disagree the teacher was the best I've ever had)

the teacher came to class prepared every day (agree/disagree)

the teacher was knowledgeable of the subject taught (a/d)

the teacher worked from prepared notes

I would take another class from this teacher

among other things.

You would probably be hired on a year-to-year basis, so there's no job security.

Compare the FTs gig in China to the American lecturers' gig, and you'll se an incredible disparity. One may teach on the university level with a BA or less. In the States, one must have a a relative Masters degree PLUS two years experience teaching on the college level (usually acquired through an assistantship) or two years experience teaching on the accredited high school level.

Comparing apples to apples, you'll find that the Chinese university gig is pretty sweet.

I don't think that you can compare a 30-40 hour gig at a language center or a private school to a university gig. At some language centers and private schools, one must share an apartment (if one is provided). You'll work twice the hours in a language center that you'll work at a university (probably more). You won't have weekends off if you work for a Language center. Worse, you'll be working late afternoon to mid-evening.

These are just some differences.

If you work for a language center or any other for-profit concern, if your students don't think that you're the greatest, you're toast.

Those who have a "you get what you pay for" attitude should be painting houses, not teaching.

Really. Being allowed to teach is a privilege.

I fully expect derisive comments to this post. It's okay. I've heard them all since I first started teaching.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think it's more a case of 'you get what you pay for', and as universities pay peanuts, they can't expect too much".
Can't believe someone posted this.
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:

You'd never make it in an American university. MA level lecturers commonly start out at about $25,000 year to teach two semesters of freshman writing, twenty-one hours per week spread over five days. Try living in an an apartment on that amount of money. There are usually 20-25 students per class. Most classes are required to produce a MINIMUM of three papers per semester. There are no free accommodations, no free bus passes, and no cheap food. Parking is free, but like the students, the lecturer teachers have to fight for parking spots in the faculty parking lot. Since you'd be making such chump change, you'd have to live pretty far out in the boonies where the less expensive apartments are. You might be looking at a one-hour commute.

At the end of each semester, teachers are evaluated by the students with a 20 point rubrick. They are asked

among other things.

You would probably be hired on a year-to-year basis, so there's no job security.

If we say the value of the uni package is around 7500rmb a month (5500 salary + 2000 apartment), that makes 90000rmb a year which is about $14,500 - significantly less than the guy in America. The guy in American also has future career advancement prospects whereas the FT in China largely will just stay in the same position. I don't think you can really compare the two jobs, it's apples and oranges.

Quote:

I don't think that you can compare a 30-40 hour gig at a language center or a private school to a university gig. At some language centers and private schools, one must share an apartment (if one is provided). You'll work twice the hours in a language center that you'll work at a university (probably more). You won't have weekends off if you work for a Language center. Worse, you'll be working late afternoon to mid-evening.

Yes but - the 30-40 hour gig at the language centre pays more than the uni. What's I'm suggesting is that you should do less total hours at your university than this, otherwise you're been screwed.

For example, let's say 18 class hours per week. With an hour prep to make 19. That's fine and reasonable, the hourly rate is competetive with other types of employment for FT's in China.

If in those 18 hours, you're teaching 3 subjects, preparing 3 hours for each one, then having 6 hours of marking to do afterwards for your writing class, that's 33 hours a week - pretty much a full time job, and so you're been screwed over if you're working that hard for the pay you get. You'd be better off in a language centre. That's why low hours jobs that pay low shouldn't expect much in terms of prep, nor should the teacher feel obliged to work too hard at the job

Quote:
Being allowed to teach is a privilege.

It's neither a privilege nor a burden, it's just a job like any other. Put in a reasonable amount of effort considering what you're paid. Back home in the West, I damn well expect the chief executive earning 600,000USD a year to be working harder than the cleaner who makes 20,000. Nothing wrong with that.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL104 wrote:
Bud Powell wrote:

among other things.

If we say the value of the uni package is around 7500rmb a month (5500 salary + 2000 apartment), that makes 90000rmb a year which is about $14,500 - significantly less than the guy in America. The guy in American also has future career advancement prospects whereas the FT in China largely will just stay in the same position. I don't think you can really compare the two jobs, it's apples and oranges.

Quote:

Yes but - the 30-40 hour gig at the language centre pays more than the uni. What's I'm suggesting is that you should do less total hours at your university than this, otherwise you're been screwed.

For example, let's say 18 class hours per week. With an hour prep to make 19. That's fine and reasonable, the hourly rate is competetive with other types of employment for FT's in China.

If in those 18 hours, you're teaching 3 subjects, preparing 3 hours for each one, then having 6 hours of marking to do afterwards for your writing class, that's 33 hours a week - pretty much a full time job, and so you're been screwed over if you're working that hard for the pay you get. You'd be better off in a language centre. That's why low hours jobs that pay low shouldn't expect much in terms of prep, nor should the teacher feel obliged to work too hard at the job

Quote:
Being allowed to teach is a privilege.

It's neither a privilege nor a burden, it's just a job like any other. Put in a reasonable amount of effort considering what you're paid. Back home in the West, I damn well expect the chief executive earning 600,000USD a year to be working harder than the cleaner who makes 20,000. Nothing wrong with that.

I can't begin to address the many things wrong with your rebuttal, especially converting the rmb to dollars in China, then comparing it to $25,000 in the U.S.. There are two separate economies involved which means that costs are not related to the dollar. In China, costs are related to the rmb.

If you haven't worked AND lived on your own in the U.S. (or the west in general), then moved to China and worked and lived there, you can't understand the difference.

I don't want to trade barbs over this because you haven't gotten a handle on the differences in economic dynamics yet. If you're already in China, you'll soon find out that you can't really compare costs in China vs costs in the west. The same thing goes for remuneration.

The dynamic is that the first priority is that a language center must make a LOT of money. At a university, the first priority is to educate. Unfortunately, most universities are publicly funded, so it must make up for shortfalls in remuneration by supplying free room and utilities.

You'll make more at a language cent as well as at a high school, but you'll also put in a LOT more time and have a less flexible life.
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:

You'll make more at a language cent as well as at a high school, but you'll also put in a LOT more time and have a less flexible life.

Well here's the crunch point. The uni is fine providing the hours are lower (as there's less runemeration).

If you're doing 3 hours prep for 3 different subjects, then having a few hours marking on top of 18 class lessons however, you will be working just as many hours as you would at the language centre. At that point, you're been screwed. That's why a university should expect 'less' from their teachers - because they don't pay as much so if teachers were ending up working 30+ hours a week including prep, the job wouldn't be competetive compared to others in the same sector.

Don't really see why this is an issue. Most people take these uni jobs so they will have a lot of free time (either to work side jobs, improve their chinese, sit back and play videogames, whatever). You don't have all this extra free time if you're doing hours and hours of prep each week, you're working. That's why it's not reasonable for a uni to expect too much in terms of prep.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot equate pay levels with quality.
I know what the pay is going in.
I cannot look at my students and think I'm going to do a crappy job because I feel an entitlement to more money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: