Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Background Check when obtaining Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScoreFromAugusta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Background Check when obtaining Visa Reply with quote

I am a USA citizen and want to move abroad to the Czech Republic. I'm interested in taking a TESOL course in Prague then finding job after. I realize staying over 90 days requires you to obtain a class D visa and it appears that the Czech Police themselves do a background check as part of the process. On a standard CORI background check, and when local police run my name, nothing appears. However, I requested an FBI check and one "possession of class D substance" shows (it was marijuana and I was a teenager). This was a case which happened 9 years ago just after my 18th birthday, and was dismissed in court.

Is anyone familiar with what kinds of standards are involved in this check the Czech police perform, and how stringent it's means are? I don't want to go and study hard and get my heart broken if I discover I can't get a visa.

I understand many get on the zivnotensky list as well, which the program says they can assist you in going through. Is this easier or more difficult?

Thank you!
ScoreFromAugusta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the way I wrote this might not be clear. The Czech Police background check is for anything committed in their country which is of course of no issue.

A better questions is: Will they accept a state background check (in my case a CORI) or will they need an FBI one? In some cases like South Korea and the United Arab Emirates it is the case that the latter is required
Czexpat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the visa process but I can't imagine anything other than a conviction would be considered relevant here, though permission for a non-EU citizen to work has got more difficult, I understand.

And few people in this country would be outraged at you possessing marijuana.

Laughing
Czexpat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Background Check when obtaining Visa Reply with quote

ScoreFromAugusta wrote:
...I understand many get on the zivnotensky list as well, which the program says they can assist you in going through. Is this easier or more difficult?

I'm sure it goes without saying that you should check the reputation of whoever is offering the program as, sometimes, these offers of support don't materialise.
ScoreFromAugusta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who did this program and it seems legitimate.

A devlopment is that USA citizens do not supply a criminal check at all, and instead you sign an affidavit stating you have a clear criminal history. This presents a problem as one translation I've found has said "I hereby declare on my honor that I have not commited any crime out of the area of the Czech Republic which might be considered in the processing of my application...." where another I've found replaces the word "crime" with "felony". For the latter, I am fine as it was not a felony charge. But if what I am to sign IS the word "crime" then I enter a weird area. Wouldn't ANYBODY in position of having commited any crime say "nah it's not relevant that I did 'x'" ??

Anybody know what exactly they are looking for? I don't want to lie on one of these, but if I say "No I can't sign this" then they might just say I'm out of luck then. I'd almost rather just present them with my CORI background check but the woman the TESOL school works with has everyone sign these sheets.

Anybody have an idea how I can make this work?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possession of marijuana is not a crime in most civilized countries (including the CR) and your case was dismissed in court even in the US, right?

Just sign it. You have done nothing that Czech foreign police would think twice about - so don't bother to stir the pot (hehehe).

They are looking for people who have been convicted of violent crimes, crimes against children, and real drug criminals (not pot), and probably big-time thieves.

You're over-thinking this. It's really ok. A nine-year-old dismissed pot possession charge is not a conviction for anything at all; it clearly falls into the category of NOT impacting your application in any way.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Possession of marijuana is not a crime in most civilized countries (including the CR) and your case was dismissed in court even in the US, right?

Just sign it. You have done nothing that Czech foreign police would think twice about - so don't bother to stir the pot (hehehe).

They are looking for people who have been convicted of violent crimes, crimes against children, and real drug criminals (not pot), and probably big-time thieves.

You're over-thinking this. It's really ok. A nine-year-old dismissed pot possession charge is not a conviction for anything at all; it clearly falls into the category of NOT impacting your application in any way.

Ditto this. Sign away.

1. The charge was dismissed.
2. It's not a crime in the CR.
3. There's a very good chance that it's no longer a crime even in the jurisdiction in which you were charged.
4. It's not a conviction.
5. It was NINE years ago.

. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: