Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howbout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

My wife is Hungarian and I'm thinking about taking a TESOL course in Budapest. I already have a Bachelor's Degree and a Teaching Certificate. Can anyone recommend which school or program is best (LanguageCorps, for example)? I was told that I shouldn't need a work visa since my wife is a Hungarian citizen. Thank you.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

howbout wrote:
My wife is Hungarian and I'm thinking about taking a TESOL course in Budapest. I already have a Bachelor's Degree and a Teaching Certificate. Can anyone recommend which school or program is best (LanguageCorps, for example)? I was told that I shouldn't need a work visa since my wife is a Hungarian citizen. Thank you.

The immigration question would best be posted to the General Europe forum (or the Hungary forum, if we have one.)

For Europe, I believe your best bet is to go with a CELTA. Many schools offer it. There are other programs that are considered to be equivalent but, again, my understanding is that most European employers prefer CELTA.
howbout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howbout wrote:
Thank you for your advice.

You're welcome!

Three more things that come to mind:

1. You might do a Google and/or Facebook search for online expat groups based in Hungary. While most folks who belong to such groups will not be English teachers, they are often a source of valuable information about local issues--like obtaining visas, renting apartments, etc.--that greatly supplements what you might find here on Dave's.

2. You said that you're already a certified teacher. What subject(s) and age group? Are you planning to continue teaching that age group in Hungary? Or are you hoping to transition to teaching adults? The TA in CELTA stands for teaching adults, so if you're looking to do the latter you're on the right track. For the former, you might be better off adding an ESL endorsement to your current teacher certification.

3. Also, are we correctly assuming that your goal is to teach in Hungary? Or are you just planning to do your initial training there but open to working elsewhere in Europe or the world?

Good luck!
xaile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA training at International House Budapest
howbout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certified in Middle School Math and will teach this if I can but until I learn Hungarian better, English is probably my best bet. I would prefer teaching younger kids or adults. Do you know if the CELTA certification also would allow me to teach children? I would like to live and teach in Hungary because that is where my wife's family lives. Hopefully, however, we can make a decent living there and won't have to move somewhere else. Thank you again for your help and advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howbout wrote:
I'm certified in Middle School Math and will teach this if I can but until I learn Hungarian better, English is probably my best bet.

You might check into American curriculum international schools for math teacher openings. These are schools many Americans expats send their children to as a continuation of their American education. Obviously, English is the language of instruction. There are likely other English-language international schools in Hungary.

and wrote:
Do you know if the CELTA certification also would allow me to teach children?

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/celta/young-learner-extension-to-celta/
howbout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Another question Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is and will continue to be a greater need for teaching adults or children (especially in Hungary). I ask this to help me decide whether I should pursue a CELTA certification or one geared toward younger students.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question Reply with quote

howbout wrote:
Does anyone know if there is and will continue to be a greater need for teaching adults or children (especially in Hungary). I ask this to help me decide whether I should pursue a CELTA certification or one geared toward younger students.

As mentioned before, your best source of information to Hungary-specific questions would be the General Europe forum.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

International House offer a Certificate in Teaching Young Learners and Teenagers.

http://ihworld.com/teachers/course-details/ih_certificate_young_learners_and_teenagers

Note that it's an add-on, not a substitute for the CELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: