Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL certificates with financing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: TEFL certificates with financing Reply with quote

I have a friend who wants to get into TESL industry and he has a BA, however, he wants to get a TEFL/TESL diploma. However, he is in a challenging financial situation now and has no money to pay for it.

Is there an inexpensive online program which would allow you to make payments overtime or be paid for by some grant or loan?

What would be the cheapest and the quickest way for a person who doesn't have much cash to get one?

Any other advice for him would be most appreciated. He is in his mid 50ies.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online qualifications are not a good idea as many countries and employers don't recognize them. Which country is your friend in/from? In the UK there used to be some sort of loan available for training purposes if it would help someone to get off benefits. Don't know if it still exists.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's former US military, he might try for one of those continuing ed grants for vets/GIs. The Peace Corps is another option for opportunities to teach overseas, especially for newbies in their mid-50s.

However, there's a bigger concern. If he's struggling to pay for TEFL training, he'll have a harder time of it if he heads abroad with little to no set-up money. For example, he needs to be aware that he'll likely have to pay out of pocket for his visa costs, med exams, and air fare in addition to lodging, food, ground transportation, etc. That can add up while he's waiting to get legal work status and his first payday in his target country.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what nomadsoul has said. It's very risky travelling abroad without a reasonable financial cushion of at least several thousands. Just a very little bad luck can easily land one in a dangerous situation far from family, friends, and known support systems.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL certificates with financing Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
I have a friend who wants to get into TESL industry and he has a BA, however, he wants to get a TEFL/TESL diploma. However, he is in a challenging financial situation now and has no money to pay for it.

Is there an inexpensive online program which would allow you to make payments overtime or be paid for by some grant or loan?

What would be the cheapest and the quickest way for a person who doesn't have much cash to get one?

Any other advice for him would be most appreciated. He is in his mid 50ies.

Anybody can get a cheap on-line TEFL and they are viewed in very low regard by any real school or potential employer.

Also, age is going to work against your friend.

And being broke isn't going to work out so well either.

Doing a cheap-o TEFL cert for 300 bucks and then trying to somehow scrape together a living in a developing country where you don't even speak the language yet is a recipe for disaster. Plus, without a financial cushion you are at the complete mercy of employers who would hire somebody with such a "qualification" in the first place.

Also, most countries want to see a real TEFL cert. and may not even accept an on-line cert.

What if your friend has any issues in the first few months? How would he make ends meet? Who would help him in an emergency?

If somebody is in the USA and they really want to get a real taste of TEFL and life in a developing country on the cheap, go down to the US-Mexico border, walk across, go to the bus station and get a bus to Mexico City.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies. My friend is in the US and is a US citizen. What if he got an online certificate and went to Taiwan/China/Korea? There are so many small schools that just want an American with a BA and they don't specify what kind of TEFL certificate he has. Can't he do that?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Thank you for all your replies. My friend is in the US and is a US citizen. What if he got an online certificate and went to Taiwan/China/Korea? There are so many small schools that just want an American with a BA and they don't specify what kind of TEFL certificate he has. Can't he do that?

Why can't your "friend" post himself?

Why even get a TEFL at all? Just use that BA, it really opens doors!

Really, I fail to understand this. Your "friend" doesn't have money for a TEFL course, let's see, about $1,500USD but he wants to go overseas and be at the mercy of a foreign employer in a country where he doesn't speak the language, has no friends/connections and no money saved... Sounds like the makings of a great TEFL blog Razz

Your friend needs to save up money first, take a TEFL and then get a job with some savings. Do things the right way, the first time or do it the "other" way and see how many BUMPS are along that path.

I repeat my previous advice: Take a cheap flight or even a bus to Mexico City. It's very "foreign", fewer foreign tourists (compared to the beach towns), easy to learn Spanish, low-cost of living (Compared to the USA/Canada)), easy to get work, and many schools don't even care if you have an online TEFL because they don't even know what a CELTA is. There are several large chain schools and countless smaller ones, plus it's easy to pick up classes teaching business English.

If somebody can survive a year in el Distrito (Mexico City) they are well prepared for life teaching EFL in any developing country, plus they would have real-world TEFL exp. and if they studied Spanish, be able to better understand the language learning process themselves.

Viva Mexico!

Last edited by Prof.Gringo on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
waltgomez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers. My friend cannot post because he signed up for eslcafe.com membership, but has not yet been approved. I asked him to post but he said that the approval email never arrived. Thus, his account here has not been activated. I agreed to post on his behalf.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Thank you for the answers. My friend cannot post because he signed up for eslcafe.com membership, but has not yet been approved. I asked him to post but he said that the approval email never arrived. Thus, his account here has not been activated. I agreed to post on his behalf.

There are way too many shady schools and esp. recruiters in places like China, VN & Thailand, all popular TEFL destinations. If your friend encounters issues, with things like visas, work permits, being paid salary on time, unpaid hours etc, what would he do? Without a nice chunk of change in the bank, at least $3,000USD or more, he would be at the mercy of his employer. Things might work out great, or they might not...

I know a cheap TEFL course in Mexico...

PM Sent Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: