Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KITAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: KITAS Reply with quote

I have heard so many different prices for KITAS - anything from 4 to 10 mill rup. Its gotta be cheaper than a business visa. Anyone?
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: KITAS Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
I have heard so many different prices for KITAS - anything from 4 to 10 mill rup. Its gotta be cheaper than a business visa. Anyone?

I thought it was 6 juta.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a business visa cost?
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most others I can't give you an exact figure. I'm told it's around Rp10 million. What I do know is that in the last few months an additional EPO tax has been introduced. I can't recall what the EPO stands for, but it means employers have to pay an additional US$100 a month for each employee on a KITAS. Even if the employee breaks the contract, the full US$1200 must also be payed. This was through EF. But is across the board I believe. So for those signing contracts whereby if you prematurely terminate the contract you're required to cover all visa expenses, then the cost will most likely be increasing dramatically.
phis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll check out tomorrow with the boss what the figure is for KITAS, but I reckon it is going to be around 10 million, once you take in all the incidental costs, employing an agent etc.

Yes okay, the school could try to do it themselves without an agent, but after all the hard work, you are going to get the application rejected more times than you get it accepted. The agent is known in the immigration department and knows all the ins and outs of the system.

By the way, you as the employee shouldn't have to worry about all this. The school processes the application and is responsible for the cost. Any school that is telling you that you have to pay should be avoided like the plague!

Of course, the school is going to want there money back if you walk out on your contract. They are not in this to subsidise people who see language teaching as a cheap way to see the world.

And before you all 'flame' me - I know there are people who genuinely have problems with 'rogue schools'. I was one of them and got ripped off royally by one school! However, there are a lot of people out there who take on a job with no intentions of staying for the one year stipulated in their contract. What is a responsible school supposed to do - just keep giving free handouts? That is a lot of money to lose!

I don't know what the EPO stands for, but it roughly translates as 'Foreign Workers Tax'. It is US$1200 and is not paid monthly, but has to be paid by the company, up front and in full.

All this shouldn't worry you at all if you genuinely intend to stay for the full year and you are signing on with a reputable school.

Yes I know! - HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT'S REPUTABLE? The problem is, if we say anything about our own schools, it will be seen as advertising and will probably be taken off the boards. A Catch 22 situation really!
zpivat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPO = Exit Permit Only
phis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exit Permit is completely different to the Foreign Workers Tax. It has to be obtained by the company you are working for whenever you want to leave the country. However it doesn't cost them much, in comparison to the already quoted FWT and KITAS. In addition, there is the Fiscal Fee of 1 million rupiahs (if you are leaving by air). This should also be paid by the school. Make sure it appears in your contract.

The schools will (should) usually pay both the Exit Permit and the Fiscal Fee at the end of your contract. However, if you want to leave the country on holiday, you will have to pay these taxes yourself, so don't forget to add them to the cost of your holiday.
Chester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Kitas Reply with quote

I have sponsor (not teaching). I teach part-time for extra cash. Some guys paid 4 mill, some paid 10 for KITAS. thats indonesia. the killer is the manpower tax. 1200 dollars US for the year, paid up front. i am damn sure ILP and the like avoid these with a Golden Handshake. the government either likes to milk foreigners, or they dont want us here. "foreigners take jobs from unemployed Indonesians" oh come on, really?
willy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business visa are about 10us$ for 30 or 60 days depend on who stamps it.
there are Mutable entry ones but they are harder to get, anyway you still need to fly out so its not cheep

Kitas will set you back 1200US$ plus the agent fee and a trip to Singapore and a bribe to the top guy in the embassy or a weeks wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: