Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Jobs In The DR?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight...Inspire By Action wants YOU to pay them so you can volunteer to teach their D.C. youth........this is really beyond belief...these Caribbean Islands get millions of dollars in aid annually (especially in MASS TOURISM)....one wonders why they they want QUALIFIED EFL teachers to teach for FREE!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Let me get this straight...Inspire By Action wants YOU to pay them so you can volunteer to teach their D.C. youth.......

Seriously, did you even read the post? Exactly what part of the job ad led you to that conclusion?

By the way, what are "D.C. youth"?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it through their advert they want you to donate your time and money as a VOLUNTEER to teach their underprivileged youth English in the Dominican Republic so they (Inspire By Action) can profilt from your FREE labor. Am I missing something?? Shocked
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Am I missing something?? Shocked

The word volunteer?

Again, precisely what wording in the job ad leads you to this conclusion?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advert says they are seeking volunteers....VOLUNTEERS are people who volunteer their services...there is NO salary figure or monthly stipend (for Volunteers ONLY)) mentioned at all. In fact they are seeking volunteers who can donate money whilst teaching English. Unfortunately this is typical of Caribbean EFL jobs...they (the EFL Employers) do not seem to want TEFLers on payroll...I guess they assume we should "consider ourselves lucky" to teach on these islands in the sun" as an EFL volunteer...even if they will ONLY provide us with FREE ACCOMODATION!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
The advert says they are seeking volunteers . . . In fact they are seeking volunteers who can donate money . . .

Really? Evidently, we're not reading the same ad--or possibly even the same thread. The ad I posted from Inspire by Action says no such thing.

But as usual, it appears that this is your story--and you're sticking to it--regardless of the facts.

By the way, on their website, this position is listed under "Employment Opportunities" not "Volunteering."
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employment opportunities mean volunteering to work...that is...you work for a pittance or monthly allowance at best in the D.R. with this company. This has always been the case not only in the D.R. but mostly throughout the Caribbean Islands where mass tourism reigns king. Teaching English is simply a means to help the locals earn money from mass tourism...most (if not all) the Caribbean islanders speak English....so if you are set on the Caribbean as an EFL teaching destination don't expect anything much at all for compensation. You are simply a volunteer employee who gets a living stipend (if lucky) but most likely will get a great suntan an possibly a roof over your head! However if you really want to make money in the Caribbean there is a sunken EFL Pirate ship with a treasure chest in it just off the northern coast of the D.R. and I have a map to it.....just get your scuba diving license!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: