Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching businesspeople - practice lessons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Teaching businesspeople - practice lessons? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently got the opportunity to do a short teaching internship. I'll be teaching 3 lessons of my choice and will be receiving feedback. My goal is to teach in Europe (coming from Asia), and from what I hear in europe, germany, eastern europe, etc., the primary market for adults seems to be businesspeople.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be useful to practice in these practice lessons while I have the chance. My idea is to teach some business English lessons to get some practice in doing so. Any input or suggestions for lessons would be helpful. I'll probably do at least one grammar lesson, to help get a better grasp of teaching grammar, and maybe a speaking/listening lesson. Mostly looking to apply as much as I can what I learned in my CELTA.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What level/s are the students? Makes a world of difference....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get hold of a copy of 'The Business' or 'Market Leader' at whatever level is appropriate, it will be easy to develop a lesson from one of the units.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and appreciate the comments. The level is upper beginner, lower intermediate adult students, mixed levels and backgrounds.

The first lesson I'm doing is going to be a general lesson about work/jobs and types of jobs to warm up the students to the topic, and see what they might be interested in or benefit from, since they are not businesspeople.

What's the benefit of using those two books? I will try to see if I can get a copy. Are those commonly used at language schools?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internship won't be wasted, but it's not very representative - not many upper-beginner/low-intermediate students around in the German/CR region who are also practicing businesspeople. A few older ones (usually not very motivated either) but the majority will be solid int/upper int and higher.

So you are practicing business style lessons, but the students are not businesspeople? You need to then generalize across business types...the experience working across some range of levels will be useful (this does fairly often happen in the region).

Both books are for int/upper int, I believe, so possibly not very applicable to your students.

If you want to pm me with more details, and if you still need ideas, I can probably pull something from my pocket - I did some research on a somewhat similar group a few years back.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
What's the benefit of using those two books? I will try to see if I can get a copy. Are those commonly used at language schools?

They're both widely used in teaching Business English. Market Leader starts at Elementary and goes up to Advanced. The Business starts at Pre-Intermediate.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'm clearly out of touch on business books! It's been a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: