Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peru (Arequipa or elsewhere)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Peru (Arequipa or elsewhere) Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am considering a move to Peru to pursue ESL work and was wondering if anyone had any experience with or information regarding teaching jobs in Peru. I am most interested in positions in Arequipa, but I'm also open to other possibilities.

Also, I've been in touch with El Britanico in Arequipa and was curious as to their reputation, if anyone here had worked for them in the past, etc.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lizzle
Mariachi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lizzle,

I'm a little sad that nobody posted a reply to you as I am also considering a move to Peru or nearby country to pursue ESL work..

My main question is with regard to the best approach to obtain work.
I currently live in Australia and it seems that most people find it easiest to obtain a holiday visa and find work within the country.
I'm a 24yr old guy and the prospect of travelling overseas without any concrete job prospects beforehand seems a little daunting. Especially when I have no travel experience and no contacts as such.

My only desire is to find work that will allow me to cover my basic expenses and give me the opportunity to pick up the local language.

Can anybody assist our queries?
nomadder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere are some big companies that advertise on tefl.com usually for positions in Lima. THe weather there is terrible for about 8 months out of the year and crime is high. Arequipa is a nice city.

Ecuador seems to have an uptight govt and spiralling inflation. If you can swing it I would recommend coming over and looking.

Peru is quite cheap. I'm not sure of availability tho saw a sign with someone looking for teachers in Arequipa. Saw a store with lots of English texts too. Same in Trujillo further north.
Mariachi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your prompt response. The web site was helpful but I do not qualify for any of the positions I was interested in.
The job that was posted for Peru was limited to: "BRITISH/IRISH passport holders ONLY. Sorry!"

Some of the jobs posted in Japan were also interesting but I am only halfway through my bachelor degree and was wanting to teach for a year as a break.

I can entertain the possibility of going to Peru as I have a contact in Miraflores although I prefer not to impose if possible as I do not know them very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: